Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mom off to Oahu next month, advice anyone?

Pages: 1 2 replies

E

My Mom, 80, is vacationing in Oahu March 6 - 20 with her bf :) and if there still tiki restaurants/bars she could visit, I'd love to hear about 'em. Also, are there any good places to scrounge for things tiki, like Goodwill etc near Waikiki? Long shot I know, but she'd like to pick stuff up for me and my brother if possible. She'll be renting a car too and will roam the island.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

[ Edited by: emspace 2019-02-17 07:55 ]

Obviously La Mariana Sailing Club. They were going strong last times we were there. The food while always decent before may have gotten better. Gift shop, too.

There's a Salvation Army on the main drag between the airport and Waikiki - we've pulled a couple artifacts out of there over the years. Usually a fine selection of rattan furniture - probably from people who gave up and moved away. Goodwill in Kaimuki, not too far east of Waikiki isn't bad. Was in there once when an employee rolled out a couple crates of vintage Hawaiian records for a couple of locals to pick through before putting the rest out. Found a Mai Kai mug at Goodwill on Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City.

Tin Can Mailman in Chinatown is a nicely curated shop of vintage Hawaiiana. Not cheap. Phil Roberts took us to a junk shop along the highway in town that had some stuff. I'll post the address if I can find their card.

TT

E

Thanks TT! I hope she’ll make it out to La Mariana, I know they have some nice mugs I wouldn’t mind having. Great tips on all the other stuff, will definitely pass it on and watch this thread if you’d like to find that address.

Mahalo,
em.

Pages: 1 2 replies