Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Info for Tiki Folks on LC Diets

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

I also belong to the Low Carb Luxury Forum and started a thread on LC and alcohol. The news looks good...check out the discussion -

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com

Go to the discussion forums section and then to the Let's Talk Low Carb area. Look for the thread called LC Opinion on Booze and read through for some, perhaps, enlightened insights. Made me go out and buy my first bottle of Bacardi since the Taft Administration!

http://www.tikitaky.com
Tiki Rules!

[ Edited by: scigirl on 2003-08-28 17:17 ]

T

I successfuly did the low carb thing and lost weight while still indluging in the liquid luxuries... havent clicked your link yet but I hope it proves my theory right... drinks don't count! ahaha

S

Basically - you are right! What happens is this: most of the higher proof alcohols such as rum, vodka gin, etc. don't contain carbs (although the flavored ones often do - anywhere from 2-7/oz). So, they don't contribute to your daily carb count. However, the body preferentially uses alcohol as a fuel over fat. So, it will burn any alcohol in your system before going into the fat stores. This would reduce your rate of weight loss - no fat burn until the alcohol was used. A few people get knocked out of ketosis, but it quickly returns. For those on maintenance plans, this is good news! Since you are not trying to lose weight, as long as you keep the carbs in check, you should not have to worry. And, if you exercise, even better - faster fuel burn, faster alcohol burn, quicker back to fat burn.

I rented a movie, stocked up on Bacardi and Mount Gay and have a nice evening planned - in moderation, but my first in recent memory!!!!!

Well,
I believe that a little moderation goes a long way. Lord knows I ain't given up my biscuits and gravy, but I know I can't be miss piggy.

I also believe in eating six small meals a day. It seems to work for me.

T

You should all follow the patent-pending, copy-righted, newly improved, add-water-makes its-own sauce Bong diet:

Only eat foods that start with - F, D, E, R, W and sometimes Y.

I've been losing 1 pound per week for the last 10 years.

Pages: 1 4 replies