Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trailer Park Tikis in NYC?

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Someone who identifies itself only as CHICKENCHOWFUN wrote me today saying: "James, the largest Tiki Bar in New York City is at the "Trailer Park Lounge and Grill", opened in May of 2002 at 271 West 23rd St. 10011, 212-463-8000."

Any of you Big Apple Tiki gods heard of this place? Sounds fishy to me...

I've been there a few times. It's a great place but, more devoted to Elvis, americana, retro kitch, and southern culture. There are maybe 3 tiki drinks on the menu, including an expensive one served inside a whole pineapple with straws sticking out. (I think around $32.) It's not a tiki bar at all. If you get Atomic magazine, my friend wrote a review on this place an issue or two ago.

D

Hmmmm..

Never huyd of it. I'll check that out soon and see what the sicheeashun is.
Gee..wouldn't that be cool. Undiscovered tiki in NYC after all.

R
Rorysm posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2003 8:21 AM

Hey, the Jeckyl and Hyde down in the village is really cool. There's an upstairs tiki bar with shrunken heads and such around. The downstairs is like halloween crossed with Chucky Cheese. Awesome. It has over 200 types of beer if you're into that.

D

Jeckyl & HYde's has a tiki bar? Hmm.....gotta check that out.

C
Chacha posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2003 8:52 AM

I have been there and as touristy as it is, it's fun and worth a visit.
The other J&H location has a cannibal bar, too.

On 2003-08-29 14:38, donhonyc wrote:
Hmmmm..
Undiscovered tiki in NYC after all.

try these 2 spots ...

kava lounge (605 hudson @ west 12th):
http://kavalounge.citysearch.com/

i just popped in there for a look-see on the way to somewhere else, will probably give it (& its kava kava tea) a try this weekend!

& oser's bikini bar (148 c duane st):
"bikinis ... tropical home furnishings ... specializing in vintage rattan & surfing collectables."

not a bar (although they have plans to start a coffee bar) but have all sorts of hawaiiana, hula pinball machines, tikis (a HUGE 80 year-old hawaiian-made ki'i guards the entrance). when i visited a couple of weeks ago, they opened by appointment only. the owners are a friendly couple w/ an incredible collection & extensive knowledge!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-09-04 10:22 ]

TC

On 2003-08-29 09:37, tikibars wrote:
Someone who identifies itself only as CHICKENCHOWFUN wrote me today saying: "James, the largest Tiki Bar in New York City is at the "Trailer Park Lounge and Grill", opened in May of 2002 at 271 West 23rd St. 10011, 212-463-8000."

Any of you Big Apple Tiki gods heard of this place? Sounds fishy to me...

i was in trailer park lounge & grill last night (briefly). the place is pure eye candy (not much tiki though). manic cat's description about sums it up. however, i would have a hard time recommending anything other than briefly popping your head in b/c i could never steer a friend in the direction of a bar that charges 4 bucks for a can of pbr!!!

T

i would have a hard time recommending anything other than briefly popping your head in b/c i could never steer a friend in the direction of a bar that charges 4 bucks for a can of pbr!!!

You know, I started drinking PBR a few years ago because I got tired of paying outrageous prices a 'pint'* for all the supposedly quality beers... and now that blue collar beers are trendy, I've gone back to drinking the good stuff - it's cheaper!

• = Most bars hat serve up beers in so-called pint glasses are still only giving you 12 oounces of beer... a pint, for those of you who failed junior high school, is 16 ounces. Try it - go to a bar, order a beer in a bottle, ask for a pint glass with it, and the beer fills up the whole glass. People associate that glass-shape with a 'pint' or 16 ounces, but you're getting fooled! Okay, off my soapbox now. Back to Zombies!
T

I was suprised to see this place in the Food Network special "Top 5 Kitchy Food Places" along with the Mai Kai and Madonna Inn. I can think of a dozen other places that deserved to be in the top 5 other than this one.

Pages: 1 9 replies