Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

OC Mini Crawl was a total BALL!

Pages: 1 24 replies

Is any body up yet? I even slept in?
I am so sorry I did not get to ride the wild bus, but we did follow right behind. Meeting everybody was the best part for me. Driving around a car load of drunks was kinda funny also?

What was your favorite part? :D :D :D :D
Chillin' with the King at Sam's
It's all good
PS. Mrs. Bamboo we missed you
:TIKI :DRINK :TIKI :DRINK

......as soon as my eyes clear up I'll be able to talk..........
Mahlooooooooooooooooooooo's
to all!!!!!!!!
Bamboo Ben Laden.

Bax, it looked like you guys were whooping it up in that truck as much as we were on that bus! Sven had the idea to cut a singalong cd and that worked out incredibly well. Fortunately, Denny bin Kukulele was there and was AMAZING as usual. "I don't know how he does it..." I am kicking myself because I didn't bring my video camera with me to capture that, especially after his "Princess Poopooly" translation.

Traderpup put together a cd that had a mix of the wacky and the rare. I listened to that cd on my way home and that was an enchanted car ride. I have heard only 5 of the 28 selections/versions before. I will have a lot of fun learning all these new songs.

I want to thank Bong and Ben for putting this together:) Bong, thanks for risking your credit for us. To those who may plan crawls in the future, the bus is a great idea.

Tina Tina Floratina So good to meet you last night, the CD you speak of sounds so cool I would love to pay for a copy. Can somebody tell me how to get one? You are also right about the truck ride, we had a tortilla chip fight then a water fight and we were trying to scream at people with the windows up to see if they could hear us. The bus still sounds better:)(if you could see the inside of my truck) Bong and Bamboo you guys totally ROCK (thank you) Bong what is your bar doing in the garage, quick get away?
C.AL make me stop talking that way.
And OOOOHHH my god was the Happy Birthday wedding song at Li's a totall crack up or what? :D Who slept over at Ben's?
Al and Shelly as usual a totall delight to see you. When you comin' over?

Mahalo to you
Baxdog

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2002-07-13 19:52 ]

...........my right eye is still damaged. I'll post as soon as "it" clears up.
Mahaloooooooooo's
Bamboo Ben Laden.
p.s. Tina-Florentina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That tape Rules!!!!!!!! [extra !s edited - HL] Mrs. Boo and I say, "you are the Queen!!!!!!!!!" Rm. 135 will never be topped. Amazing. Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you talk with KUKU about the movie he want's to make? I must sleep now. Many Mahaloooooos to the tribe.

Mahalo,
Bamboo Ben
Bamboo Ben (custom tropical decor)
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-5ish
Sun. 11-4ish (summer only)
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-07-14 14:24 ]

Is everyone getting these new messages "wide screeen" so they have to be scrolled sideways to be read, or do I still have a hangover..?

What a tour! I can't believe my dumb luck to have caught the bus after being half an hour late! Upon turning the corner to Bamboo Ben's I see the driver walking around the bus closing the doors, I jump out of the car, as I approach the bus it starts driving off, I sprint after the driving bus.... reach it, thump on the back wall.... and it stops!
Bless Tiki!
It was quite a ride. King Kuku in his element, and thanks to Floratina for printing up most of the Singalong lyrics in a little booklet. I enjoyed meeting a lot of you, and sometime later this summer I plan to have a Tiki Central party at my Silverlake Tiki Island!
The rum flowed freely, supported by the rescue bottle of Myers that was gotten, since Li's (what a ceiling!) served bleach blond potions and Sam's was spotty. The Royal Hawaiian had killer kocktails as ever. It just proves again that the science of mixology is almost extinct. People don't know the difference, since they don't have any comparison....and they have to drive. We had THE BUS!

what
the
hell
is
wrong?
I'm
getting
dizzy
trying
to
type
this
and
can't
read
the
previous
posts!
Are
we
infected?
Mahalo
B. Boo

Oooooops! Sorry Hanford and all. My excitement scewd it up! For those of you who did not see this happen, just forget about it. For those of you who did see this happen, sorry for the acid flash back or 3 day hangover.
Mahalo,
Bamboo Sven Laden

[ Edited by: bamboo ben on 2002-07-14 22:03 ]

What day is it? Just kidding since all of those around my wife and I know that we were just sharing our drinks and hitting the hard water on the rocks at Li's. I guess our water had the same amount of alchohol as the "same color" drink selection. I think they just have that stuff on tap. Bamboo Ben, I thank you for sharing your shop with us. Trader Pup, thanks for the cd. I'll carve to it today. Yo C'Al! hope you found your missing nuts.

S

Aloha all!

Still recovering from our Friday night's revelry!

The OC Pub Crawl was an incredible ride! Loved the lapu lapu's at the Royal Hawaiian, the GIANT egg rolls and scorpion bowl at Li's, and of course, the tiki bar at Sam's was the perfect night cap!

It was great to see you all again and meet new people like Bong and his crew, and the Baxdog and his wife! Many mahalos for a great time -- especially Bong for his mystical organizational skills; Bamboo "Ben Ladin" for sharing his tiki hut and the amazing medalions; Floratina for the video and songbook, TraderPup for the seductive soundtrack, and of course, The King for his usual hi jinx! Tina and I had a great time hangin' with you all, and we hope to see some of you at Kozmo's for the Ape show!

Cheers,

Trixie and Uncle Arty (T and A)

P.S. Great last second "dive in" the bus by Sven! That was hilarious!!! Glad you made it, Bro!

What happened was Bamboo Ben put a zillion !!!!!!!s in a row without a space. your Web browser's word-wrap mechanism couldnt find a space in it so it let the !!!!s extend across an entire line, widening the web page.

I've changed it. Ben: Please don't do that again! :)

~Hanford

Oh, but I liked those !'s cuz they were for me.

On 2002-07-14 14:37, floratina wrote:
Oh, but I liked those !'s cuz they were for me.

okay, here they all are but with spacers: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:
~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-07-14 16:54 ]

Oooh, very nice...I believe I even scored a net gain that time.

A

First things first, I want to thank TikiBong and Mrs. Bong (Kevin and Debbie) and Bamboo Ben and Mrs. Bamboo (Bamboo Ben and Mrs. Bamboo), for their hard work, organizational skills and Big Tiki Medalions. Thanks to Sven (of the Rhyming Police) for the excellent CD and Video. Thanks to FloraTina for the RM 135 Video and the song books for the singalong. Thanks to Trader Pup for the great CD of fantastic obscure tunes (I didn't get one, Pup. Could you please burn one for me?) Thanks to Shelley for her TC name tags. Really, this was great fun and It would not have been without everyones hard work.

Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al.

Chiki Tiki and his lovely wife.

TikiBong and my wife with their "Secret Family". I think the girls look more like Bong.

The Fabulous King Kukulele. Elvis has nothing on him.(note the Big Tiki Medalion)

Li's Chinese.

The effervesant Lizzie and Crazy Al.

Mrs. Bong

Sarah, Baxter and Wes

Sven Laden, FloraTina

The beautiful Trixie, Uncle Artie and TikiBong

With a heavy heart, we say goodbye to Li's

And the remarkable work of art, from the ever talented Bamboo Ben, a painting celebrating the party in Room 135 at the Tiki Oasis. This treasure has been hung in a place of honor, in the Lagoon Room. Thank you Ben, It's the best.

In closing I'd like to paraphase the Immortal Bard.
"We few, We happy Few, We band of brothers;

For he today that raises his glass with me

Shall be my brother; Be he ever so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition:

And Tiki Centralites now a-bed

Shall think themselves accurst they were not here;

And hold their Manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That went with us on the OC Mini Crawl."

If this is Sunday, this must be Earth!

(Jeez, I'm getting old. Tiki and Madam Bong are still a bit out of sorts.)

What can I say that hasn't been said yet? Many thanks to all the 'usual suspects'.

Ben for the cool tiki medallions, King Kukulele for his brilliant and whimsical renditions of the classics, Traderpup for the commemorative CD's, Crazy Al for well, ... being Crazy Al, Floratina for the sing-along book, and everyone else for being the kindered tiki souls they are.

Man, and I thought my dog could really chase cars. I'll never forget the sight of our now departing bus being quickly pursued by a sceaming, hand-waving Sven (or should I say Sven Laden, leader of the Mai-Taida?)! I think he's got the 4 minute mile nailed.

Hey Al, mine and Shelly's 'secret family' were some tourist props we grabbed and demanded be in the shot. I'm sure they'll go back to where ever it is they're from telling people about their perilous abduction by a wild tiki cult.

Let's keep in mind Crazy Al's suggestion that we set a Guiness World record for the number of tiki torches lit on Earth at one time next October 15th (why the 15th ?).

Al and Shelly, we're looking forward to seeing you both and your tiki bar this weekend.

For any interested tikiphiles, Al and Shelly, Madam Bong and I (with our baby bongs) will be at the Bali Hai this coming Friday night.

Lastly, I have never so quickly felt such a strong bond with so many people on a rented 28-passenger bus in route TO Royal Hawaiian, Li's, and Sam's Seafood in my life!

To the 'Tribe Called Tiki' - Aloha Oukou!

Tiki and Madam Bong

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-07-14 20:35 ]

I must add that The Bongs have a lovely home. Their fondness for Hawaiiana, tiki and surf culture (not necessarily in that order) are incorporated in a sophisticated contemporary design. Mr. Bong's tiki bar in the garage is very cool, indeed. There is something to appreciate in every nook!

I just lost this giant post that thanked everyone for all the special things that night that I rememberd. (tiki) god damn it!! Anyway, everyone has said it for me. And, what a fun group. I'll bable soon. For those who wern't on da bus, come by the store to get your "rappers tiki". If anyone wants one anyways and is in the area, there are 9 left. You can pretend you went via the pics and the posts posted. What was the bus drivers name?
Bamboo Sven Laden

CA

the best thing about getting back to tikicentral a day or two after the event is i can say "DITTO!" and get back to promoting the APE gigs... i ended up Sat. night with two or three Rum drinks in my hand at the TikiTi on Senset Blvd hitting up more recruits for Thus Night......... see you at the gigs......MAHALO Good times!!!!

Hey Bamboo Ben,

Our Indian bus driver's name was 'Mobi' (I think his wife's name is Dottie).

Aloha

My medallion is now a work of art hanging on my wall. Thanks for making those crazy things, Ben. It must have been a lot of work.

Hey AlnShelly!

Many mahalos for the great pics! It's nice to know that after a few mai tais and lapu lapus that we're not so bad looking afterall!

What a great ride with the OC Tribe!

You guys are the best!

Aloha,

T and A

Aloha!

I am finally returning to the world of the living...spending the weekend recovering from the Crawl, then battling the flu which a friend was kind enough to share with me!

I'll try not to repeat everyone else, but of course, MANY THANKS to all who made the OC Crawl an unforgettable experience! What a great group of people! As soon as I'm feeling a little better, I'll post my pictures for all to enjoy. Funny, but for some reason the photos got more and more blurry as the evening progressed....! go figure!

For those of you that attended, but missed out on getting a copy of the OC Crawl souvenir CD, just leave me a private note with address, and I'll send one right out.

Again, Thanks! I had a blast!

:tiki:

How bout another one down here around Mele Kalikimaka time?
Alooooo-HA!

Good idea Mister B!

Maybe we can whip something up.

Pages: 1 24 replies