Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

First use of the terms "tiki bar" and "tiki restaurant"?

Pages: 1 2 replies

A general query: What are the earliest known documented instances of use of the terms "tiki bar" and "tiki restaurant"?

I know some of the members here have huge paper collections, so I look forward to seeing your pics.

I wonder if it wasn't’ first a generic term. The idols were probably the most memorable decor in a restaurant or bar frequented by urban savages in the early days of the Polynesian Pop craze. After the tiki idol became ubiquitous as a theme in these establishments the term grew to encompass any Polynesian themed business. Just a thought that may be way off base.

Uncle Trav - yes this sounds likely. I am curious to know at what point they stopped calling them "South Seas bars" "Polynesian restaurants" etc. and when the new terminology came in. I'm guessing it was in the early 1960s, but the best marker of that would be advertising and press clippings from the period. The surest evidence of when the term took over would be when the businesses themselves adopted that moniker.

Pages: 1 2 replies