Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mug Identification

Pages: 1 3 replies

B

My Mom called me at work today, all excited because after mowing her lawn, she noticed there was a lawn sale 3 houses down. She walked down, and found this mug for a wopping 25 cents! No markings whatsoever, and I know I've seen it before, but I have know idea the maker or origin. Anyone?

H

Don't know exactly what it is, but it looks exactly like the "tall, slender" Moai mug seen on page 70 of Duke's Tiki Quest. I think most all of the other moai mugs in that part of the book are OMC, but Duke (boutiki) could probably tell you for sure.

M

That is an Otagiri (OMC) mug. There are 2 versions that I'm aware of. The tall one (that you now own) and a slightly shorter one. I've seen each size with and without restaurant logos on the back. A logo marked version of the tall version seems to have been most commonly used at the Hawaii Kai in NY. I've seen the shorter version marked for use at the Hale Kahiki in Chicago. All of them that I've ever seen have either been stamped or stickered on the bottom with the Otagiri/OMC logo. Congrats on a good deal and I hope it's origin is less of a mystery now.

ModMana :drink:

S

Picked up one of those this morning at the flea market - I have a few others of this type as well. They are fun, I think - the eyes make them unique. Congrats!

Pages: 1 3 replies