Tiki Central / California Events

SHAG Show at La Luz De Jesus (Sept.5th)

Pages: 1 13 replies

SHAG
"The Twelve Stations of Ptolemy"

ARTISTS' RECEPTION
Friday, September 5, 2003
8 - 11 pm

Anyone wanna hang at the opening on Friday, Sept. 5th?

or... maybe sip a couple at Tiki Ti's or Good Luck Bar afterwards.

http://www.laluzdejesus.com/

Cheerz

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-31 12:44 ]

T

Mrs. Pug and I would love to get together with you at the show and then get some drinks at the Tiki Ti.

This is going to be some night! We've got the Shag show, folks meeting up at Tiki-Ti and later in the evening a fab and free concert! Just about 3 miles from Tiki-Ti at Taix Restaurant ( http://www.taixfrench.com/ ) will be King Kukulele doing his thing as will Harvey Sid Fisher. Harvey is well known for his album of songs inspired by the astrological signs. In fact, one of the new Shag paintings in the La Luz show, the one inspired by Aries, features a Harvey Sid Fisher Album on the living room floor. Shag has also painted our friend, King Kukulele. Make it an evening of seeing Shag and his subjects live and in person. Wow!

-Weird Unc

I'm driving back from Vegas early just to attend this mob scene event.

Don't forget Baby Doe and the Devil-Ettes on Friday night, too. I posted a thread about it in Beyond Tiki. The show is in the West Adams area and that is not too far from La Luz and Tiki Ti. That show starts at 9:00.

what a small world it is.

one of the Thurston Howlies - Trader 'sniffy boy' Jim - also plays with Harvey Fisher, so the tiki circle is complete!

Floratina~
Does that mean that King won't be at Taix at midnight or is he doing both?

F

There's enough time to do both. King would do both at the SAME time if that were humanly possible. He'll torment the patio dwellers at the Fais Do Do and then the whirlwind will resettle at the appointed hour in Echo Park to the delight of the Taixans.

Seems to me that the show he does there and at The Hub are a bit different than the shows he does at Tiki confabs in that it is a little more cabaret-esque, more stream-of-consciousness (if that's possible). "Moustache rides, twenny-five cent!"

Futura Girl wrote:

"one of the Thurston Howlies - Trader 'sniffy boy' Jim - also plays with Harvey Fisher, so the tiki circle is complete!"

OMG, do you mean THE Harvey Fisher?!? The astrology songs guy!!?? AAAKKKK! I LOVE that album. I'd say this raises the Howlies' musical pedigree to the very highest stature imaginable!!!

--tikivixen, rare TC Sagittarius creature

M

Mrs. ModMana and I (possibly with some friends in tow) will definitely be at the La Luz reception. We're also making our first visit to the legendary Tiki Ti before the reception!!!. We're driving up early from San Diego to beat some of the traffic. Will probably troll around Hollywood until the Tiki Ti opens. See ya there...

ModMana :drink:

was at la luz on the last day of my so cal. vacation, and they let us peek into the gallery, the paintings are breathtaking, the first time i ever saw a shag original painting in person, it was wonderful....la luz and wacko rule!, hands down the coolest store ive ever been in in my life......my best friend, and newbie poster here on tiki central (known as "the skipper" here) will be at the opening......look for a guy with a red breard and long red hair, his name is cas, he'll be there with his wife andrea,say hello, and introduce yourselves, they are too shy to do so, but are true tikiphiles for sure...they took us on our so. cal tiki tour over the last week (tiki ti,bahooka,sams seafood,royal hawaiian,bali hai,house of tiki,bamboo bens,etc....) and would surely go to tiki ti with you all!!

The Shag show is unbelievable! By far the best work he's done. I can't believe the gallery called me to see if I wanted to buy one of the originals and I said no! $6000 is a lot, but I could have sold my Shag Tiki original to offset the cost, oh well..Leaving the show i'm driving behind a silver mini cooper with the license plate TIKI GOD. Does anyone know this guy?

M

We also got the call from La Luz to buy one one of the originals. It was very painful to have to turn them down (especially since Mrs. ModMana's zodiac sign was the one they were offering). Thankfully, logic prevailed and we still have a few bucks left in our bank account. Shag consistently comes out with great creative works of art and these paintings were fantastic (despite their complete lack of tiki). However, you really have to see them in person to fully appreciate them.

Tiki Central was well represented at the opening and we chatted with several new and old tiki friends. But the highlight of the evening for us was making our first trip to the Tiki Ti afterwards! That place is beyond words...hands down the best drinks I have ever had in my life! The "Ray's Mistake" is to die for!

ModMana :drink:

I have to give Tiki-Ti another try. The one time I was there was the worst. The chi-chi they served me tasted like formaldehyde. Maybe they thought I was dead!

Pages: 1 13 replies