Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Steve Crane Bowl & Remakes??

Pages: 1 16 replies

So the Steve Crane bowl went for $263
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2118926712

This one is original, but I was looking though the pics on the old yahoo tikicentral site and found a pic of someone at the Jardin Tiki in Montreal drinking out of what look like exact replica bowls!!

The photos were posted by member Uptownranking001. Does anyone know who that is? Don't these look exactly like the Steve Crane bowl? I wonder who is making these?

The fact that a mug was designed by and for a specific Tiki bar does not mean that it was never used at another Tiki establishment. The ceramics makers sold these designs to whomever they could.
Those bowls are originals, not remakes. Maybe the Jardin Tiki bought the backstock from the Montreal Kon Tiki. I don't think they know what they have, but I also know they won't sell them. Now, kids, remember: The lifting of these bowls (just as any artefacts) from a living Tiki Temple is sapping it's mana and thus is absolutely TABOO! The curse of Tiki will strike your greedy little fingers lame!

One of the strangest breaches of the logo Tiki concept was the Tiki Bob's mug, which is so clearly a unique design: But not only did they use it for that Elvis press junket, but also for the "Bali Hai at the Beach" in New Orleans (BoT, p.126).
Or the Kelbo's mug (p.178), which was also used at The Islander in Stockton. But then again I don't know which came first, the mug or the Tiki at Kelbos.

But you're right, in the case of the SCA Kon Tiki designs, they usually were never used at another place, so they must be backstock.

I want one.

M
mig posted on Sat, Jul 13, 2002 4:54 PM

Uptownranking001 is Jen from the old club... hung out with her last year in Vancouver but we haven't heard much from her since she went away to college in Montreal. (Those pics were taken shortly thereafter.) I don't even think she's shown up on the New & Improved TC board yet.

I agree with Bigbro that the restaurant must not know what they have. Because if the bowl really is worth that much, I myself wouldn't be serving anyone with it, even in the most safe and padded of environments!

And don't MAKE me get all 135 on your ass...

[ Edited by: mig on 2002-07-13 16:55 ]

This is amazing! I gotta try this more often:
Preach the gospel of Tiki preservation, than picture a rare piece of Tiki pottery, close my eyes and say "I want one" (see above).

This is what happened: Apparently my sister, who lives in Hamburg (9/11 pilot training town), was visiting some relatives in Heidelberg a few days ago and saw this curious Tiki vessel in an Antique shop, labelled as Art Deco, with three Tikis holding a bowl with red and black leaves...
Faster than you can say "Okolehao" I sent her the above e-bay link and it checked out.

Now you just don't go out antique shopping in Germany and find Tiki mugs...anywhere, ever! (The only Tiki mug made in Germany is probably the one featured on the Hukilau info home page, otherwise there is Trader Vic's and a few Thai restaurants that serve cocktails in Tiki pottery).

Still, the bowl is a whopping 150.- Euro (=$)
But she has some dude from California visiting her next week, so transportation is secured. It is as if Tiki heard me.

Now HOW THE did a SCA bowl ever get to Heidelberg? American students?...German alcoholics?... G.I.s?

The ways of Tiki are mysterious...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-07-15 09:50 ]

Wow Sven! That is amazing!! Yeah, I wonder how it got there too. Congrats on getting this most awesome bowl.
Still, it blows my mind that they could be using orignal SCA bowls at Jardin Tiki!! I'm picturing them getting knicked and broken from everyday use and it's making me sick!! Maybe I will just have to tell myself they are remakes....just to keep my sanity! :)

You will just have to all come on up here and find out for yourselves!

I'm all for a Montreal road trip - as I said before it's only a 2 12 hour drive from the Howard Johnsons Tiki Resort, and another 45 minutes to the Coconut Motel/hotel from Montreal - actually I havent checked my map but the Coconut may be on the way between the 2....

http://www.coconuthotelmotel.com/

T

A trip to Montreal would be great- in the meantime, I got an email back from Jen saying that she would check the bottom of the bowls to see if they say "Made by Steve Crane Associates". Or Tikifish, if you go there anytime soon please check it out for us!

T

I think that the Jardin Tiki DID buy the old stock from the Montreal Kon-Tiki, but I can't remember where I heard that, so I have no proof. Just the feeling that I heard that as a fact somewhere before...

I am really into a Tiki Central Jardin Tiki/Howard Johnson's tiki Resort/Coconut Motel Trip - this has been discussed in several threads... maybe we need to start a new thread?

:lol: 19.99 :lol:

I just wanted to share with others my "OMG!" collecting experience today, to those watching or bidding on an eBay; 'Steve Crane & Associates tiki bowl vintage".

Yes, I committed to an object of my lust and desire, a 'Steve Crane Scorpion Bowl'. I'd been awestruck by this particular design in the past and vowed to "Damn the torpedoes...and go-for-it, at all cost!"

I read previous threads of Bigbrotiki, Tikihula, tikicleen and the gut wretching story of Benehune's broken bowl! I reflected at Ooga Mooga sometime after auction ended to find dibroc had posted the "Price Sightings in the Wild" for auctions ending 9/30/06.
Soooo I know some folks were watching and there were other fine fellow TC collectors who where bidding as well!!!

SOoo... What's the story, Jones?

Well, after payment sent; I wrote, "please wrap carefully, double box, tissue and bubble-wrap like shipping a dozen eggs for safe delivery."

This response returned; "I will aim to ship on Tuesday-ABSOLUTELY WILL BE SHIPPING EXTRA EXTRA careful-you are my biggest sale ever on ebay! -hey is this item a rare item? I sold another one just like it last week with a buy it now feature-I had no idea these are rare-who is or was steve crane and assoc?"

I then proceeded to do my best in utilizing 'BOT' to write my reply,(thank you bigbro) and inform the seller, to my best ability, insuring safe transport of my prize...

PLEASE NOTE: "I sold another one just like it last week with a buy it now feature."
Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=160031199528

$19.99 FOLKS!!! and I believe the new owner will likely put coins, pins or peanuts in their new bowl! I hope I'm wrong? I hope somebody here got the good buy!!! Come forth and celebrate! :D :D :D

So there it is, after the Seller read the passages taken from 'BOT'and 'Benehune's Broken Bowl Tragedy' I received the following reply;
" wow-oh absolutely_ I bubbled the other bowl-they did not even insure it! but yours i will double box-i just bought both bowls at a 60s 'groovy' auction recently-bubble gum pink furniture etc-some 90 year old doctor had owned everything-it was different-thank you for the information on this-I agree-neither myself nor the other buyer of these bowls knew what we had. Would you also like this sent certified so you have to sign for it? No extra charge of course-i just want to send it as carefully and as traceable as possible."

There you have it, I wanna feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside...or puke! It's hard to celebrate humbly sometimes... OR PARTY LIKE IT'S $19.99!!!

Let us pray, Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Congrats travelingjones!!
I've been after one of those bowls for awhile now but couldn't swallow the crazy prices! :o

And to think I had to back hand a fellow TCer the other day who mentioned about mugs/bowls/anything Tiki being sold by those "ebay pirates"!

It's really kind of a game in a sense, you search often, bid high and the last minute and MAYBE you win sometimes!

Other times a freakin' awesome deal falls right in your lap...you just have to be the first in line!

Again great score.....enjoy! :)

Hey Traveling Jones- the $19.99 bowl will be well cherished. Looking at the winning bidders auction history, he or she has bid and won tiki mugs and was a bidder on another Stephen Crane piece. Now if we can only get them to come to TC (or they may already be on TC.)

Mahaloz for the comments!

Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it...I still feel good :D!!! Just the rollercoaster highs & lows of when you reeeeeally want,Want,WANT! Then...Oh! what if it's broken in transit? Followed by...is it rare? I sold one a week ago for 20 clams...shipping - Paper or Plastic?

Matterhorn, your Tahitian Terrace and Disney blog are incredible!

Dr.TikiMojo, anything you can prescribe for nervous stomach? I put da lime in da coconut and drank it all up???

Shaka Y'all :tiki:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

R

TJ,

Glad to hear that eventually went to a fellow TC'er. Now that the swelling has gone down from Dr. Tikimojo's backhand I'll speak. The Doc was right about the crazy price but when you gotta have it, you just gotta have it and hopefully when that happens you've got sufficient coin. We're all pullin' for you that the shipment arrives safely.

hey you big dummy, why didn't you just get the one for $19.99? :D seriously, great score at any price, jonesEy!

Wow, we all have stories of the one that got away. I use to try to snipe and watch TV while waiting. I'd get so involved in my show I'd forget the auction. I lost a mug from Polynesian Village Disneyland for $80 just that way, it took three years and $400 to get the next one. I don't think any one has paid that much since. But we love having it in our collection and your bowl will amaze you it's a larger size than most of the tiki bowls, it's impressive. Ours arrived with a hairline but we kept it anyway. You didn't pay too much by any means. I'm glad you begged for good packaging. You tiki buddy, Wendy

G

Looking at the auction start and end dates, it lasted on eBay all of 20 minutes. Ya gotta be fast sometimes... or just plain lucky.

Thanks to all responders! Da lime and da coconut settled me nerves! I feel it'll arrive safely now, 'cause the Seller darn near wants to place it on a pillow and drive it to me :D

rugbymatt, I need more than a slap to set me straight most times!

kingstiedye, yeah-yeah-yeah you're one to be talking...with the change you've dropped on those Tangs they should be on Broadway dancing in a 'Chorus Line' not sitting pretty ona shelf!!!

danlovestikis, you always put in a good word to help ease the pain...just a scrape, not a cut!

GatorRob, yeah lucky? I was out in L.A. a few weeks back...Mega Millions was at $163million, I bought 5 tickets...well guess what? Not even close! :lol:

This will have a happy ending...I HOPE!!! :o

Pages: 1 16 replies