Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Some help with mug identification please

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hi, first off, what a great service this site is. I stumbled upon it doing research for a tiki I just found and immediately joined up. I've been collecting, I believe "Poly-pop" is the term I gleened off of this site, for a handful of years now, just picking up pieces I liked here and there, mostly Coco Joes'. Every once in a while I'd pick up a tiki mug for the tiki bar I was slowly emassing not really thinking about any kind of value or collectability. I just thought they were great pieces of kitch.

1. I've picked up what I found to be a Suffering Bastard Decanter at the flea market yesterday. Can anybody give me any information on it? From what I can make out on the bottom of the thing, it says: "Trader Vic: Sale or Reuse of this..." and then some more text and numbers below that which I cannot make out. Plus, my Bastard has a suffering headache. He's got a hairline fracture running down his back. Not really noticeable, but there upon close inspection.

2. The second one is a mug I've had for years called "Mr Bali Hai". He's from a restaurant in San Diego, CA. He's my favorite and my first. I guess he's really more of a shrunken head than a tiki. Has a bone in his nose and his scalp comes off to pour the drinks in. Does anybody have any info on him?

Thanks for any and all help!

-Dutch

[ Edited by: tabootiki on 2003-09-01 11:32 ]

S

Check here for info. on Mr. Bali Hai

http://www.balihairestaurant.com/mrbalihai.htm

First of all welcome aboard Tabootiki. I'm was pretty stoaked when I first came upon this site too. The Trader Vic's decanter that you found is one of the more valuable mug type things out there. I once saw one go on e-bay for around eight or nine hundred dollars. Very nice find!

First of all welcome aboard Tabootiki. I'm was pretty stoaked when I first came upon this site too. The Trader Vic's decanter that you found is one of the more valuable mug type things out there. I once saw one go on e-bay for around eight or nine hundred dollars. Very nice find!

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Sep 2, 2003 12:41 AM

howzit Tabootiki,

welcome to da page, it's great isn't it? how big of a cocojoes collector are you? I sent you a PM. (private message)

Pages: 1 5 replies