Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 11-20-19 Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge November 20, 2019

On this week’s show we celebrated the birthdays of just some of the superb musical artists who entered this earthly realm during the numinous month of November.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “St. Louis Blues,” the song credited to our Birthday Celebrant W.C. Handy, recorded in 1928 by The Genial Hawaiians – Jim & Bob, found on the copacetic compilation: Hawaiian Steel Guitar Classics – Historic Recordings 1927-1938.

2. “Euphonic Sounds,” based on a 1909 piano roll medley of “A Syncopated Novelty” & “A Syncopated Two-Step” by our Birthday Boy Scott Joplin, taken from the outstanding album: The Original James P. Johnson – 1942-1945 Piano Solos.

3. “Me, Myself and I,” the 1937 song by Irving Gordon with lyrics by Allen Roberts and Allen S. Kaufman, found on the righteous retrospective: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 4: 1937, with our November Natal Notable Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Edmund Hall on Clarinet; Lester Young on Tenor Sax; James Sherman on Piano; Freddie Green on Guitar; Walter Page on Bass and Jo Jones on Drums.

4. “I'm Coming Virginia,” the 1926 song composed by Don Heywood and Will Marion Cook, recorded in 1941 by Clarinetist Sidney Bechet and found on his serendipitous CD: Perdido Street Blues, featuring our Birthday Boy Willie “The Lion” Smith on Piano and Henry “Red” Allen on Trumpet.

5. “Charlie Two-Step,” the tune crafted by our Birthday Boy Hoagy Carmichael, recorded in 1932 by The Boswell Sisters and found on their beat nativitational anthology: That’s How Rhythm Was Born, with Martha Boswell on Piano, Dick McDonough on Guitar, Tommy Dorsey on Trombone, Manny Klein on Trumpet, Jimmy Dorsey on Clarinet & Alto Sax, Larry Binyon on Flute & Tenor Sax, Artie Bernstein on Bass and Stan King on Drums.

6. “Love Me or Leave Me” By our Birthday Celebrant, the famed lyricist Gus Kahn and Walter Davidson for the 1930 movie version of the 1928 Ziegfeld Broadway musical comedy: Whoopee!, taken from the 1960 nostalgia fest: Helen Humes -- Songs I Like to Sing! arranged and conducted by Marty Paich with Art Pepper on Alto Sax & Clarinet, Ben Webster & Teddy Edwards on Tenor Saxes, Bill Hood on Baritone Sax, Andre Previn on Piano, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Leory Vinnegar on Bass and Shelly Manne on Drums

7. “Doin' the Uptown Lowdown,” the 1933 song by Mack Gordon and the English composer Harry Revel, recorded the year it was written and found on the historical document: Mildred Bailey – Cocktail Hour Series, with The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, including our Birthday Boy Bunny Berigan on Trumpet and Jimmy Dorsey on Clarinet.

8. The Rodgers & Hart classic “Blue Moon,” originally written for the 1934 movie: Manhattan Melodrama, recorded in 1945 by our November Birthday Girl Jo Stafford and Her V-Disc Playboys, taken from the bellicose collection: V-Disc All Stars – With the Singers, including Billy Butterfield on Trumpet, Lou McGarity on Trombone, Hank D’Amico on Clarinet, Boomie Richmond on Tenor Sax, Bill Rowland on Piano, Hy White on Acoustic Guitar, Jack Lesberg on Bass and George Wettling on Drums.

9. The George Harrison song “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” played by Ukulele virtuoso and Birthday Boy Jake Shimabukuro on his 2006 scintillatious CD: Gently Weeps. The Youtube video version of him playing this won him worldwide acclaim.

10. “Hindara” taken from our Birthday Celebrant’s eponyomous album: Voodoo! – The Exotic Sounds of Robert Drasnin, featuring Mr. Drasnin on PIccolo.

11. Composed by our November Natal Notable Billy Strayhorn, this version of “Take the “A” Train” came from the combustive compact disc: Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Presents The Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel, led by Mr. Ho, a/k/a Brian O’Neill, who also plays Piano and featuring Tim Obetz on Steel Guitar.

12. “Smack,” which was the nickname other musicians gave to band leader Fletcher Henderson, composed by Leonard Feather and found on the Bodacious Box Set: Benny Carter – The Music Master, recorded in 1940 by our November Birthday Celebrant, Tenor Sax Master Coleman Hawkins and The Chocolate Dandies, including Mr. Carter on Alto Sax, Roy Eldridge on Trumpet, Bernard Addison on Guitar, John Kirby on Bass and Sid Catlett on Drums.

13. “How Am I to Know?,” composed in 1922 by Jack King and Dorothy Parker, taken from the rapturous recording, Shirley Horn With Strings -- Here’s to Life produced and arranged by our Birthday Boy Johnny Mandel.

14. “That Old Black Magic,” written by Harold Arlen and Birthday Celebrant Johnny Mercer for the 1942 movie: Star Spangled Rhythm, recorded by singer Billy Eckstine on his 1960 lascivious LP: Once More With Feeling, arranged and conducted by another November Natal Numinary Billy May, with Jimmy Rowles

Pages: 1 0 replies