Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Need Help Attaching New Fabric to Witco Back Boards

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi all,

I got some new linen fabric thanks to Ken and Heather for my Witco map restoration!

After some repair work and prep, I’m ready to install the new fabric. What do you guys use to glue this stuff down? The original board is not even close to being flat and just wrapping it around and stapling it would not work. Plus the original was definitely glued down. I’m having trouble coming up with any plan to glue this down while keeping everything lined up and straight, properly stretched, and not staining the fabric.

Has anybody done this??

Spray contact glue works for me.
Check out my fronds.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=39705&forum=7&start=1440
If its burlap your gluing,
don't stretch it.
I'm thinking,
stretching is not as important as
not having wrinkles.
This may take 4 careful hands.
Good luck.
Can't wait to see it.

Could you staple it?

T

If your Witco is the one I saw a short while ago on facebook you need to ditch the particle board it came on and replace it with a new one.

On 2020-01-15 14:27, tikicoma wrote:
If your Witco is the one I saw a short while ago on facebook you need to ditch the particle board it came on and replace it with a new one.

Probably. I’ve been posting pics on Facebook.

I would love to use something different but what? I bought a sheet of 3/8 plywood but it’s wavy and way too heavy. I wouldn’t trust the added weight in the original frame. I can’t find anything else that is 3/8” thick, is solid, flat, and light. I’m definitely open to ideas. It’s very frustrating.

On 2020-01-15 05:54, leevigraham wrote:
Could you staple it?

I will staple on the back but I need to get it to lay flat on the front.

You should be able to find 3/8" MDF that would be a very stable base.

Lowes has 4x8 sheets as well as smaller sizes.

As for how to get it down, Super 77 is your best friend. Just use it in an open, well ventilated space.
That crap will utterly destroy your lungs if it gets in there.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-16-75-oz-Super-77-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Adhesive-77-24/100067550

Pages: 1 6 replies