Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Don the Beachcomber Original Location

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

Hello all,

Have been really enjoying reading the various threads on Don the Beachcomber. Hope you guys can shed some light on something that I'm a bit confused with - his original location and second location in Hollywood. As I've read, it has been mentioned that the original location was at 1722 N. McCadden Place. Shortly after, he moved across the street to 1727 McCadden Place. The vast amount of photos I've seen seem to attribute the building below as 1722 N. McCadden Place, particularly those in the Hollywood Photograph Archives. It didn't make sense as it appears that this is the same building that changes over time, which would imply it was his second building. I blew up one of the photos as seen below. This photo shows a bamboo cross bar that is pretty clearly marked as 1727. Assuming this is correct, that would make this building his second location and not his first? If this is true, what did his first location look like? Sorry if this seems out of place. I may have misinterpreted what has already been written which wouldn't shock me, I'm going stir crazy not working and sitting at home right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

"1727" on the bamboo pole:

T S, I took my girl (now my better half) to Don’s in late 68 or early 69.
Tanks for the memories
Cheers

S

I'd say you are right. There is likely no image of the original location, for very real reasons. It was a speakeasy until somewhere in 1934 when it became legit and then moved. There may not have been a sign for all we know.

Here is the one old image I have of Donn's nephew at the entrance. I blew it up and tweaked and it also appears to have 1727.

Thanks for the pictures. A great look at the beginnings of a life style.

T

Thanks so much for your reply. Most appreciated! By the way, does there exist a map of the Hawaiian International Marketplace that shows the location of the Tree House in respect to everything else? Many thanks

On 2020-03-25 05:58, Swanky wrote:
I'd say you are right. There is likely no image of the original location, for very real reasons. It was a speakeasy until somewhere in 1934 when it became legit and then moved. There may not have been a sign for all we know.

I agree Tim....I've dug thru archives and resources and have never seen a picture of the original location.

Z

All photos that exist are from 1727 McCadden. This matchbook I have, however, is from a bar that opened in the original spot at 1722 McCadden - Tahiti.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2020-03-26 22:32 ]

I'm kind of shocked that another tiki bar opened in Don's old spot directly across the street from the new one. Maybe they hoped to attract those who couldn't get into Don's on a busy night.

Pages: 1 7 replies