Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Modern Education

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

I propose that the school year be shortened so that I have more free time to look for Tiki. Having to actually teach for a body of time during the day negatively impacts my Tiki-hunting regimen and, therefore, should be reduced accordingly.

Indeed! I think this goes for the workforce in general.
I am once again employed and am finding it difficult to make time to round the local thrifts and antique shops. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have a job, but I long for a little more free time in the day. It's a strange diachotomy... No job=no money, but free time to hunt tiki. Job=money, but no time to hunt tiki...
Aloha,
:tiki:

S

Yes, the tragedy of it all:

work=money=less time for Tiki, even with abundant Tiki funds
no work=no money=more time for Tiki, but no money for Tiki

The wit of the Universe is caustic, indeed

T

Scigirl- I'm also a teacher. My kids know I'm a tiki lover and have actually come up with some GREAT gifts from time to time. Put those little ones to work for you! Have a great school year!

EX-cellent idea! "You want an 'A' kids? Find me a Tiki Bob, and you got one on the next 3 tests!! Steve Crane severed head? It's coasting time for the rest of the year, baby, AND I'll write you glowing college recs!"

Hmmm, but it won't get them a passing grade on their AP test, and that's what level I teach. Rats. Guess I'd better stick to the whip...

S

Hmmmm...I teach high school and have a few courses populated by students who demonstrate great need for project-based learning. Tiki identification and procurement assignments could enhance their observation, analysis, critical thinking and evaluation skills as well as provide practice for the consumer-related skills they will require later in life. Perhaps I could get a grant to start a pilot program...

[ Edited by: scigirl on 2003-09-03 15:22 ]

DZ

Ah yes... a brand new school year, and a brand new set of 5th graders to indoctrinate into tiki! Sure it really cuts down on my hunting time, but it also increases the amount of folks hunting for tikis for me by 35!!

I should probably start casting those "Ku" masks early this year...

S

Get them into ceramics Dr. Z - give Munktiki a run for their money!

T

On 2003-09-02 23:06, Tiki Royale wrote:
No job=no money, but free time to hunt tiki. Job=money, but no time to hunt tiki...
Aloha,
:tiki:

In a twisted way, this reminds me of the old 'Freak Brothers' comics of the '70's line "times of pot and no money are better than time of money and no pot..."

S

Hah! I remember those comics! They remind ME of a significant body of my students!

T

On 2003-09-02 18:05, scigirl wrote:
I propose that the school year be shortened so that I have more free time to look for Tiki. Having to actually teach for a body of time during the day negatively impacts my Tiki-hunting regimen and, therefore, should be reduced accordingly.

I have found a solution - I only teach two days a week.

That leaves five for thriftin'.

There's always a middle path.

S

Hey tikibars - do they need a science teacher at your school? That sounds like a sweet gig...I'm single and blonde, if that helps...

Pages: 1 11 replies