Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

APE in SF.. FRI

Pages: 1 10 replies

CA

Aloha all you kanes and wahines!
My bud Frank wants all to know....

APE - the band you hear so much about, but never get to see - will be playing at San Francisco's BEST nightclub, Bimbo's, this Friday night. We'll be opening for The DAN Band (those comedic LA hipsters who recently stole the show in the movie "Old School"). APE goes on promptly at 9PM. We do one set only. $15 to get in.

Hope to see you all out there. Crazy Al will be carving a giant tiki while we play. We'll also have our brand new CD, "Jungle Gems", on sale along with other cool APE stuff like shotglasses, t-shirts and stickers.

It's been a LONG time since we played in town, so we look forward to seeing you this Friday!

Mahalo,
Frank Novicki - APE
http://www.tikimania.com/ape.html

“In an age when new Exotica music is hard to find, true Exotica bands are even harder to come by. APE not only fulfills both of these voids, but does so with the style of Exotica originators such as the Martin Denny Group. Their first CD starts off just right - with jungle and bird sounds. As delightful as the ensuing music is, it can barely keep pace with APE's live show, which is better than any original Exotica act ever was. Throw in live Tiki carving, an array of Aloha shirts, and beachcomber stage décor and you have a real Tiki party on your hands every time APE hits the stage.

APE - the only Exotica band that matters.”

Otto von Stroheim – Tiki News
http://www.tikinews.com

Bimbo's is a great Time! see you SF folks there.

On 2003-09-03 09:49, crazy al wrote:
We'll be opening for The DAN Band (those comedic LA hipsters who recently stole the show in the movie "Old School").

I saw these guys in LA a couple of years ago, and they are just hysterical. Check 'em out!

--cindy

Frank, C' Al, if you guys play in Modesto (Minnie's or The State Theatre) you might gather up a whole new flock of fans. Of course I'd love to see you there too. Come on out to MoTown. The State Theatre has been bookin' some pretty big names. Now that I'm thinking of it, I will call the President of the State Theatre and ask him if he'd be interested in playing you guys, if you're interested. Sold him a tiki so I know he would dig your sounds, like wow man.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-09-03 18:06 ]

CA

Thanks for the heads up and recommendations JungleMan.

Looks like the Bimbo's gig if going to be fun! they've sold 600 tickets so far!

CA

well folks... looks like the show SOLD OUT!!!

But APE will return on Oct.3 in Marin.... Details to follow

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-09-05 00:21 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-09-08 22:07 ]

B

On 2003-09-05 00:21, crazy al wrote:
well folks... looks like the show SOLD OUT!!!

Damn! I already pleaded with my wife to go. You guys are gonna carry that Dan Band. See ya next time.

CA

This was a fun gig with suprise appearance by GORILLA X!!!
We wow’ed the full house of Whitebread 20-Somthings form 90210 ilk. Spreading Tiki to unenlightened - I got a lot of great feed back from the crowd.

Next APE gigs... Marin Oct3 and MakeOut Room SF Oct 9th

Hey Al. SF is a long ways away. Drag those bastards down here. I want to hear you guys play again! I'm looking forward to hearing the new CD.

T

On 2003-09-08 22:06, crazy al wrote:

Next APE gigs... Marin Oct3 and MakeOut Room SF Oct 9th

Cool. Where's the Marin gig - the Bamboo Lounge/19 Broadway?

M

Where the hell was everybody? The wahine and I were the sole aloha shirt wearing contingent! Ape was awesome as always, and the crowd was kind of spooky, in a Stepford/"Village of the Damned" way. But Ape got 'em dancing. Now I know what sorrority girls from UCSB do for fun as they get older.

Dan Band was a good time as well. They harmonize well and have entertaining choreography. If it wasn't for that, it would be a lot to pay for drunk karaoke.

CA

BambooBar it is... any reviews?

Pages: 1 10 replies