Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What is the worst song of all time?

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

Hey em, Cruzin is a woman.

E

In that case, Cruzin, you are a woman after my own heart. My apologies.

aloha,
em

No problem, em. :wink:

Thanks JungleTrader, for speaking up for my womanly virtue.

"I've Been Lovin'You Too Long" - the great Otis Redding song that was completely massacred by the Rolling Stones on their first live album(remember those) "Got Live If You Want It" released in about '67. Mick Jagger's voice just cracks and goes off key. I think he bit off more than he could chew at the time. My BIG question is...WHY would somebody release this on a record? The worst kind of "bad" song is a good song done bad. It sends the message to the fans that this is just a "throw away" song, that is not worthy of our time and effort to do right and the audience is such a mindless bunch of cretins they won't know the difference anyway.

The record company guys know that there are Stones fans out there that will buy what ever they put out by the band. I like to call it milking the band for everything they've got. They've done it with the Stray Cats too. I was buying old Stray Cat cds because there were odd songs that I hadn't heard before. Now I have several poorly recorded 'live' cds as well as six cds with the same version of 'Rock This Town' on them.

That scene in Hi Fidelity where Jack Black's band does "Let's get it on" is rad.

Any song by Britney Spears OR Christina Aguilera OR Justin Timberlake(when the hell are there 15 minutes gonna be up already??).

Also of note...'The Logical Song' by Supertramp...or ya know what? ANY song by Supertramp.

And last but not least, I'd also have to say Whithey Houston "IIIIIIIIeeeeeyIIIII Will Always Love Youoooooooooo-oooooo'

YUCK!!!

donhonyc,
I hated that Supertramp song too and then I went to see Ringo Starr's All-Star Band in 2001 and the singer from Supertramp was in the band and they did "the logical song", It sounded really good with Ringo & Sheila E on drums, Greg Lake on bass and a sh*t hot sax player. Of course I was still in a state of euphoria after hearing Lake do "court of the crimson king".

M
mig posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2003 11:49 AM

On 2003-09-06 17:15, Futura Girl wrote:
what's worse than Michael Bolton is even the thought of him and Kenny G. doing a duet.

What's grosser than that? The thought of them doing it!

M
mig posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2003 11:54 AM

Okay, maybe you guys can help put me out of my misery by telling me who does this HORRID, HORRID song. I'm looking for it so that I can add it to a little project of mine, a CD of "party killers" that I can sneak into someone's changer at a party.

Anyway, the HORRID, HORRID song is some woman singing all sensitive and new agey hippie style, and the lyric goes: "and the seasons, they go round and round. And the painted ponies go up and down. We're riding on the carousel of liiiiiiiife..."

ACK! I need to go puke now.

-mig

That's 'The Circle Game' by Joni Mitchell. My dad took her out to dinner once in the 60's. Guess it didn't work out.

But "Blue" by her is one of the greatest S/S/Acoustic albums of all time in my book. Who knew?

M
mig posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2003 3:13 PM

On 2003-09-18 12:08, tikifish wrote:
That's 'The Circle Game' by Joni Mitchell. My dad took her out to dinner once in the 60's. Guess it didn't work out.

Okay, I'm completely ambivalent about her, but I just looked up the song, and with lyrics like that, then I'd say your dad made a very good move. (Plus we got Tikifish out of it too!)

I MUST go find that song and add it to my Party Killers list. I enjoy torturing myself. Like the guy who pours himself a shot after throwing up tequila.

So that the rest of you can enjoy them too, here are the lyrics (from some lyrics site). I say we go kidnap her and then eat her. Or the very least, strap her in a chair and make her watch Fight Club.

-mig

Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when you're older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and dawn
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we con only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town
And they tell him,
Take your time, it won't be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down

I've been a record store clerk since the mid-1960's, and am very opinionated. When customers ask me for anything really awful I insult and belittle them. Last time I recall was "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"; I said "why on earth would anyone want that?". I haven't listened to many of the current artists mentioned on this topic, like Sublime and Celine Dion, although we do carry them in the shop I work in. I can tell I'd hate them without listening. My tastes are very similar to one of the other members, "lucky designs":"I love rockabilly, rock n' roll, old country, street punk, swing, jazz, blues, hard R n' B from the '50's, exotica, hapa haole stuff, western swing, and all kinds of other stuff. Just not the stuff out there right now on the radio and MTV."

...except I don't like blues (too depressing) or swing (can't dance, I suppose). When I'm at work we play jazz, hawaiian, brazilian, lounge, surf, rat pack, & doowop. RAP is the worst music ever and we don't even carry it in the store.
But here's my worst single songs of all time:

1. Ode To Billie Jo - Bobby Gentry
  2. Honey - Bobby Goldsboro
  3. On Broadway - by anyone
  4. Monday Monday - Mamas & Papas
  5. Your Song - Elton John (and ALL Elton)

-Lenny

Have you seen "High Fidelity"? That should be required viewing for a record store clerk. Also "Empire Records" starring a pre-Lord of the Rings Liv Tyler.

Kids nowadays don't know what good music is. What with all this hippity-hop, rap and grind-core/thrash-metal/whaaatever. They couldn't carry a tune in bucket. I say kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

-The Cranky Old Codger

T

On 2003-10-19 13:13, lennytone wrote:
...Just not the stuff out there right now on the radio and MTV."

They play music on EmptyV still? :)

anyone who thinks that JB is bad needs to stop raping that porcupine and get out into the real world.

Rap and Hip-Hop suck ESPECIALLY Britney Spears or Eminem

I agree with shipwreck, the rappers and thrash metal and whatever else should be knocked off before they cause even more socital damage.

Whatever...I've listened to speed metal, thrash, death metal, many variations of rock and now I listen to exotica, lounge, easy listening, and various trance styles. It's all a matter of taste. Wishing death upon someone because of their musical tastes is an immature response to the variety that modern society provides us.

On 2005-10-28 07:54, the big kauhna wrote:
I agree with shipwreck, the rappers and thrash metal and whatever else should be knocked off before they cause even more socital damage.

I hope nobody took this post too seriously. I meant it as a kind of tongue in cheek jab at the adults I used to hear responding to my music when I was a teenager/young adult. Although rap, hip-hop and thrash aren't my particlar cup of tea I sure as hell am not going to walz into the halls of Congress arm in arm with Tipper Gore and demand its censorship (that would be anti-American). I admit I'm just as jaded, opinionated and fickle as the next person (especially when it comes to music) but...after years of subjecting my family, friends, nieghbors and party guests to the Seeds, Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath, the Mothers, Captain Beefheart, the Fugs, Tangerine Dream, Fripp & Eno, Sig Sig Sputnik, Bow Bow Wow, FEAR, Throbbing Gristle and Deadbolt I think it only right I embrace a "live and let live" philosophy in this matter.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies