Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Barber Shops.................

Pages: 1 8 replies

........Lolo's Barber Shop-128 B. Summer Ave. Avalon, Ca. (yes, Catalina!)

We (the Bamboo Ben tribe) were back in Catalina today and I just had to get another haircut! This place rules!! Got a shave this time too. Awe, the hot towels, hot cream, the works!! Even a head and neck message for the grand finale! The walls are plastered with pics,hats, etc. at least 6" deep! The oldest barber shop on the rock (1940's??). A man needs this kind of treatment, right?

(oh ya, there is a tiki in Avalon too. A big Moai next to some appartment. And, a cool window display at Latitude 33 with a cool tiki bar, lot's o tiki mugs and a Tiki Tony Tiki too!) Tiki will take over Avalon real soon!! (I have esp)

Yes Rev, nothin' like the old fashioned barber shop. Here's where I've gone for years:

Hawleywoods Traditional Barber Shop
545 West 18th Street Suite C
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Hours: Tues-Sat 9:00-7:00
Closed: Sunday-Monday
Walk-ins or appointments
(949) 631-COMB

"Come see Hawleywoods barber shop and walk back in time, we specialize in hot towel straight razor shaves, high and tight, flat tops DA's name it! And get it done right the first time. Come have a beer, read a playboy, watch a ball game. Where a man can still be a man, we shave around the ears, every haircut, every razor we use is disposable, see the rest, then see the best."

He even has his own pomade: Layrite Pomade Exclusively at Hawleywood's Barber Shop.

What's there: Elvis & Rockabilly music, Classic Cars, girly mags, a haircut, a shave and (free) tap beer. (Much better than sitting next to seniors at a salon listening to them compare ailments.)

Owner, Donnie Hawley does my hair personally.

NN2

Hawleywood's is a great barbershop. I used to think of getting a haircut as another errand I had to fit into a busy schedule. Now I look forward to it. I've been going there for a couple of years too SCD. In fact I think I'll be there next week. Sit back with a free beer, a Playboy, some good music, maybe I'll go today. Ask for Donnie.

Suicide Sam , my wife and I were at the Paladium this sunday and saw the Hawleywood barbers cut it up all night. Gonna have to try them out some time.

M

Yeah, sadly my 80 year old barber just threw in the towel and retired. Pun intended. Fortunately, I have a DIY haircut, so I'm OK for now.

But there was no substitue for the hot lather, skin mags and MY barber had tequila. Nyah! Nyah!

As an aside, a few years ago I went to a screening of a fantastic documentary about barbers and the decline of the traditional barbershop in America. It's called Barberland and it's superb. Alternately funny as hell (listening to these old guys tell war stories) and profoundly sad as we watch this tradition ride off into the sunset. Check out the site and the trailer:

http://www.bluerain.com/barberland.html

They used to sell videos, but I think they stopped. They're still looking for a distributor. Ask 'em if you can get a copy- you won't be disappointed.

T

Sugah!

Are they the one's that maintain that magnificant pomp of yours?

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2003 9:54 PM

My barbers are more for show. It's like a Martin and Lewis sketch in there, with a thousadn local referem=nces. They tell me about everybody and I don't mind the usual hour wait because the floor show is so good.

They had a wooden indian in there and then one day there was a 3 foot palm wood tiki with breasts and a hollowed out head for a planter maybe. He said an 80+ year old guy from church donated it and he could not sell it.

I went in a couple of months later and it was gone. He had given it away to a handicapped kid for $20 and given the money to a food bank, The kid had always wanted one but his parents wouldn't aford it.

I just came from Hawleywood's today. I've been going there since they opened like five years ago. I'm pretty good friends with Donnie. We're talking about starting up a rockabilly band together. Then again, we've been talking about that for years.

Best cuts in OC and the best pomade ever. Goes in like pomade, washes out like gel.

UB

I could go for a Catalina buffalo burger right now.

Pages: 1 8 replies