Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A visit to Munktiki

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

Last month I had the chance to spend the day in Monterey and Carmel. I figured I be in the neighborhood so I e-mailed Stuckie to see if I could stop in to the Munktiki factory for a visit. I thought I'd share some of my photos with you.

My parents have been buying me mugs at his Mom's store (I forget the name) for a few years now. This is the largest selection of mug's I've seen in one store, and the only store I know of where you can buy Munktiki mugs. I ended up buying four. (That's my Wahine on the right)

The shop is located about 10 minutes from the store in a two car garage. They had racks of molds they use for making the mugs. I got to see and learn the whole mug making process.

There were mugs everywhere in different stages of completion.

This one will be sold exclusively through a Japanese vendor.

Here I am holding my daughter with Stuckie. I'm just over 6 foot, which makes Stuckie kinda tall. He's wearing a "garage shirt" with one of his own designs.

WHAT'S THIS??? yes, there were a couple unglazed Shecky's on the shelf. They must be for Stuckie's private collection!?
Hope you enjoyed the quick tour as much as I did.

D

These were great images, thanks for sharing them with us! Mahalo

Hey Now Maui Tiki,

This is better than a promise of back stage passes. Thanks for the inside view of the factory.

S

Great views! Thanks!

[ Edited by: scigirl on 2003-09-04 17:07 ]

Last March, a few of us Hoity Toity's arranged a tour of Munktiki on our way up to the SF Tiki Crawl. Stuckie and Paul were such gracious hosts. I'm sure MauiTiki can attest that seeing the mugs in a production setting is simply unreal.

Here's a link to those pics taken by our very own Hula Hula:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b334f9e565ee&notag=1

M

Thanks Poly-pop for letting us see your photos.
I see Munktiki has a new mug on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3241302603&category=29460

bump

Very cool, it's always interesting to see where an artist works, i wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of those tiki's......mahalo.

T

You should have gone to Kingstiedyes House he has more Munktiki Than that!

Pages: 1 8 replies