Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Name the Songs Contest

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hi Folks,
As some of you might know already, I have a mostly instrumental band called The Astroglides, and we're working on our 3rd album.
I have a proposal for you.
We've got 2 songs that don't have titles yet.
We would like to get your suggestions for clever song titles. The
pesron who's suggestion will be used will get a free copy of the CD
to be released in a couple of months or so).
You can download the songs at this site:

http://astroglides.dmusic.com/
We havn't done any real mastering yet, but I think it's good enough
for now.

The first song ("Spy") was written with Spy/Crime movie influences, so the title should suggest that.
The Second song ("Surf Epic") was written with some Spaghetti western influences in mind, or at least some "Heroic Adventure" feel to it, hence the male choir, the whips, the bells and the brass instruments. So if anyone has a suggestion in that direction
feel free to send it.
There's no limit on the number of suggestions per person.

Please send your suggestions to:
[email protected]

BTW - if anyone is having trouble iwth downloading, you can listen online, or write me and I'll e-mail you the songs.

Mahalo,
Ran

P.S. we have a somewhat "tiki" song, but it already has a title (Tropically Disturbed).

From the Land of the $27 Myers's

[ Edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-09-04 08:18 ]

Cool songs! Here are my 2 coconuts worth:

Spy song: "Sneak" or "Undercover"

Surf song: "Tempest"

By the way, The Astroglides is a cool name, but did you know that here in the U.S.A., "Astroglide" is sold here in the supermarkets? It's, umm.....another alternative to KY Jelly ("personal lubricant").

I sometimes get that 'ol feeling of wanting to be back behind the board. I owned Audio Master Studios here in Orange County. We had the first all digital recording and editing facility long before all of these in-home studios were around. We were also one of the many "testing" studios for the Alesis ADAT before it was originally released. There's a feature of us in one of the old Mix Magazines. Ok...stepping off the soapbox now.

Good luck on your next release!

UB

I like what I hear, great job!
Here's a feeble attempt:

1. Spy = "Shaken, Not Stirred"
  2. Surf = "Tunnel Of Love"
    Good luck on the release.

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-11 09:45 ]

Loved them! Let us know when the CD is available!

Spy: Smart, Maxwell Smart
Surf: Surf Dog Days and Bitchin' Nights (taken from a book by Corky Carroll)

C

Way Cool tunage!!! Let us know all know when the disk is available for public consumption.

Here are the titles I came up with:
For the spy song:
Surfer X v.s Dr. Goldencrest

and for the Surf tune:
Shoot out on Planet Mars

Hey Ran, Neat Contest idea! Good luck with the final mixing and such.

Chongolio

The best Spy title's already taken: "Good-bye Mr. Bond" by Blotto (You single-handedly outwit my guards/Make love to my woman, beat me at cards/I admire your perserverence/but this is your last interference!/I could kill you right now, but NO!/There's a better way...), but how about "The Man with the Golden Reverb"?

For the Surf tune: "Beach Blanket Bombast" or "Hang'em High with an E String".

Hey, Thanks for the suggestions and the nice comments...some of the titles were pretty funny (and I'm saying that in a good way, of course)

SugarCaddyDaddy - what you said was the reason for the band's name. I knew about the stuff (BTW-nobody knows it around here so they don't get the joke) and I thought it was a good play of words on the space themed band names (The Astronauts, Man or Astro-man?). Our first album was called "Penetrate With...The Astroglides", which was also a play of words on the song "Penetration" and theband "the Penetrators".

Anyway, keep the ideas coming, we havn't decided yet, even if we don't pick the titles from the suggestions, we'll give out the cd('s) to the person who gave us inspiration, or who's suggestion was closest to the final titles.

Mahalo
Ran

S

One has to be named Gene Hackman. Everything is better with Gene Hackman.

B

Song 1, "From Reverb With Love"
Song 2, "A Fistful Of Sand Dollars"

J

In keeping with the bands theme

"Semen's Lament"

1. 'Behind the Walls'

2. 'High Seas Drifter'

I also like Chonger's "Shoot out on the Planet Mars"

Either way, it's really cool music. I'd like to get my hands on a copy when you're through mixing down.

D

Great sounds!
My 2 contributions are
Spy tune....Espionage
Surf tune....Hodad

On 2003-09-04 22:07, badmojo wrote:
Song 1, "From Reverb With Love"
Song 2, "A Fistful Of Sand Dollars"

Wow, I really like those song names!!!

Hi,
Any luck with the results?

OK we have a winner!
For the "spy" song:
freddiefreelance suggested "The Man With The Golden Reverb", which was liked by most, especialy because my Fender Reverb unit has a wheat colored grillcloth which is kinda golden.

For the "Surf Epic" song we were inspired by Bob Waitz from the Cowabunga mailing list which said it sounded too sci/fi to be just a "western" song, and suggested something related to the Movie "Outland" which is like a western in space. This inspired me to think about another movie "Westworld" which is about a futuristic theme park, where the life like robots get a mind of their own and start killing the guests. Yul Brynner plays a robot gunslinger (a 406 unit), so we chose:
"Gunslinger 406 Malfunction".

We liked a lot of the suggestions, and it was really hard to choose, but the free CD's go to freddiefreelance and Bob Waitz.
Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and commented...if we had the financial means we would have given each one of you a free CD, but alas, we're broke...

Mahalo
Ran

From the Land of the $27 Myers's

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2003-09-23 02:20 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies