Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The book Tiki Quest...

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

S

I bought a copy off ebay and had the same problem myself.Fortunately mine was signed by Duke already.After reading this thread,i googled book binders,and found one in my suburb who is going to spiral bind it for me straight after work.
I'm chuffed.

T

On 2008-02-12 04:58, ScarabaTiki wrote:
I would guess only took 1 or 2mm off

Thanks for the info. Is this the feeling a proud papa gets when he takes his first born in for the big cut?? :o

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 8:24 PM

I think my pages started falling out on the second look-through, but I decided its value to me outweighed the hassle (and cost) of trying to send it back from NZ. I'm just really careful with it now.

Finally got around to this.
Office Max, 20 minutes, $3.27 = Better than new, sorry Duke.... :wink:

$3.27!? Really? Mine has completely fallen apart. I'm gonna get that done & then get a pristine copy for posterity. Thanks for the info.

T

:o Yes, mine fell apart also. I'll have to do this for sure.. Thanks :)

U

Someone gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card recently. Since my Tiki Library is rather sparse I thought I would add to the shelf. If you could only purchase one tiki book which one would you buy? I'll post all the responses in a single post. Thanks.

OK, I promise I won't check on this thread! :D :wink:

The Book Of Tiki, but good luck getting Barnes & Noble to produce a copy. I think it was written by some Norwegian guy. :D

U

Actual names will not be connected to specific responses in order to protect the innocent!! :)

I'd have to go with Big Kahuna on the Book of Tiki.

I think it was actually a Swedish guy who wrote it. The Norwegian guy was the one who sailed around in the weird reed boat thingy.

DC

U

I see two books by Sven Kirsten: The Book of Tiki and Tiki Style. What is the difference between the two.

Get both!

I thought Sven was Swedish at first, But when I was exchanging posts with him on TC
I got a feeling of someone with a "cold calculating demeanor", Then realized after re-reading his bio
that he is in fact a freighter tramp German, After apologizing to him for the mistake
He did not change his demeanor one bit.... :wink: :wink:

(Really, In person, He is almost like-able) :D :D :D

T

Like Sven, I feel that it would be absolutely wrong of me to use this opportunity to use this space to suggest that ukutiki pick up Tiki Road Trip (2nd edition) or Big Stone Head: Easter Island and Pop Culture.

So I won't.
:)

[ Edited by: tikibars 2012-02-05 16:54 ]

Ukutiki, here's a thread that discussed the difference between the two:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17915&forum=1&start=0

If you're anything like me, you're going to want to buy them all, so which one is first doesn't really matter.
:wink:

U

Thanks for the thread on the Kirsten books. It answered most of my questions. Here's another one. Currently B&N has a book titled "In Search of Tiki" with the Book Of Tiki cover. How does this differ from the BOT, Tiki Style, and the Old Navy version? Thanks.

H

On 2012-02-06 07:10, ukutiki wrote:
Thanks for the thread on the Kirsten books. It answered most of my questions. Here's another one. Currently B&N has a book titled "In Search of Tiki" with the Book Of Tiki cover. How does this differ from the BOT, Tiki Style, and the Old Navy version? Thanks.

In this case, "In Search of Tiki" = BOT

Wow, they still call it that !? That was the OLD title of the BOT before it was published. How weird it stuck

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/in-search-of-tiki-sven-a-kirsten/1003874693?ean=9783822864173&itm=1&usri=in+search+of+tiki

How come no one mentions "Tiki Modern" ? :)

HOW about 'TIKI MODERN'

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-02-06 10:09 ]

U

Tiki Modern does not seem to be available form B&N.

U

I thought I would summarize everyone's suggestions on this thread since I am now the owner of a new (to me) tiki book. The most recommended book was BOT. Other books mentioned were Tiki Road Trip, Big Stone Head,and Tiki Modern. Thanks to all who participated.

I ended up buying a used, like new, copy on eBay and giving the B&N gift card to my wife. Everybody wins. I should be receiving the BOT in a few days. Thanks again.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 9:03 PM

Congrats !! :). BOT has become a rare gem but is worth all of the extra effort to obtain it. It's the definitive "bible" for a sub-culture that's still going strong.

I also have to strongly recommend Beachbum Berry's "Sippin' Safari". Many associate the Bum only with mixology research but this book is ESSENTIAL if you want to fully understand your Tiki history.

U

Thanks for the heads up on Sippin Safari. Now I either have to get somebody else to give me a gift card or steal the old one back from my wife :)

Pages: 1 2 70 replies