Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

OMC Volcanoes?

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

What the heck are these? Are they parts of VERY large volcano bowls (these are ~4" across at the base), candle thingies...?

B

You got it right Scigirl. They are inserts for large drink bowls. OMC made them as a seperate piece (a pretty clever idea I think) so you could have a Tiki or hula bowl with or without the volcano. If you want a flaming volcano, just fill with 151 rum and light it up. Just be careful not to try and drink the 151 while it's still lit. I have seen that attempted before and it's not pretty.

S

I found one of these through an ebay auction- the seller sold it with a nice large bowl like this-

I have no idea if the two pieces were originally together (from either OMC, or at whatever restaurant or shop the seller may have acquired it from) or if they were just a nice fit.

Together they do make for a nice vocano though- it certainly dresses up an otherwise 'plainish' bowl.

S

Thanks for the info guys! I, actually, have that bowl Sabrina, so I now have a couple of big ol' volcanoes to fire it up!

B

We have one of those bowls also. I think that is exactly the type of bowl that the volcano was designed to work with. I've also seen the volcano insert used with the kneeling wahine bowl like they had at the Tonga Room and the Lanai. Sadly, we have yet to find one of those... but we are always looking.

Though that palm grove bowl is a little more "plainish" compared to many designs, I think it's wonderful in it's simple elegance. It captures those memories of swaying palms in Hawaii that make me long to go back.

S
Sabina posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2003 8:47 PM

Goodness! To clarify I certainly meant no disrespect by using the term "plainish"!

What I meant was more 'clean clear lines and simple elegance that blends perfectly with the addition of the volcano insert's fire casting shadows upon the the palms, swaying gently in warm soft tropical breezes'.

Better? :)

It's actally a really great bowl- as it's BIG and DEEP- and so classic.

One of these days I need to (first get the bar in a state closer to finished- or at least presentable, then) have over a bunch of friends and have an 'all communal bowls party'. An event with nothing but big bowls of carefully crafted drinks and lots of straws... so everyone gets to try some of all of them.

Come to think of it, the Tiki Bowl at Hala Kahiki was quite good, and the side garnishes of fruit on plastic palm tree skewers resting on two sides of the bowl was an interesting twist I hadn't seen before.

Anyone have any other obscure or interesting takes on bowl drinks? Interesting classic garnishes that might be local to your area, etc?

The other obscure but impressive bowl varriation I've only seen in Vermont (that I mentioned in another thread) was putting a bed of ice down in a bowl like this-

and then adding either a pineapple or coconut mug into the middle. I tried it once at home- keeps your drink mug nice and cold- ice in it and around it, athough be aware, the ice inside your drink mug won't melt and dilute drinks in the usual way. Still, a neat trick- and impressive if you hadn't seen it before.

B

On 2003-09-08 20:47, Sabina wrote:
Goodness! To clarify I certainly meant no disrespect by using the term "plainish"!

Sabina, I did not think you meant any disrespect, I was just suggesting that with a real economy of image or design, that a drink bowl could lend that "Exotic" feeling of escape from daily life to a tropical paradise amid breezy shores and swaying palms... which is the purpose of the Tiki bar in the first place, right? A little escape to Shangri-La.

The Tiki bowl at Hala Kahiki is one of my favorites also. Amy and I often share one, and coincidentally, they are sometimes still served in that old OMC palm grove bowl!

S

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear- my sense of humour sometimes doesn't come through the writing very clearly. We're completely on the same page here. Any and all escapes to Shangri-La- or anywhere else where the warm breezes blow, are ALWAYS welcome.

I had no idea the Tiki bowl at Hala Kahiki could come in it- very cool! My one and only experience with Hala Kahiki (yes, just over Exotica- ahhhhhh, Exotica, sigh, wonderful Exotica...) must have rubbed off on me- I'm 'channeling' Hala Kahiki bowl drinks all the way here in in Maryland :)

You're so fortunate to have such a treasure close to home!

Pages: 1 7 replies