Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Vitu Waitui

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

M

That’s always the excuse I use. Hard to resist.

E

After a little experimentation I liked the 4” bamboo pole the best for the handrail. Here is the handrail installed, burned and shellacked. IMG_6552

While I was up in the bar I remembered finding a Panamanian “Aged” rum at Costco that I had yet to open and sample. Win win! IMG_6482

A

Amazing job all around.

Thank you Arriano!

E

Well, I got busy and haven’t had time to post in a while. Part of our time away was spent on vacation and we brought back some great souvenirs.

IMG_7283

Anyway…..After the stairway railing was complete and a serious delay in obtaining reasonably priced bamboo slats. (Thank you Mike from Frank’s Cane and Rush Supply) I back in-filled the birch walls with bamboo. A little editing of the wall hanging decoration to clean up the previous mess and I think….I’m more pleased with the stairwell.

IMG_7459

Difficult to see but a hallmark of the stairwell is a PNG Ceremonial Board from Oceanic Arts. Also a Nautical Map of the Hawaiian Islands dated 1941. Pretty cool to have a map of Hawaii that’s over 80 years-old. The long skinny face carving has a sticker on the back that indicates it was at some point the property of Sony Pictures. I don’t know much about him though.

IMG_7461

Because I thought it looked better I also cased the back of the bookcase speakeasy door with bamboo. After, I decided a plain bamboo door looked boring…..

IMG_7462

So….Remembering something we saw at this year’s Tiki Oasis, I finally broke down and bought a pair of left and right Bosko’s. I hoped the Bosko’s would give the tiki bar faces of the bookcase doors some personality. My first and only Bosko.

N

This is amazing. I can't believe the scale of it all! Just wow!

E

Merry Christmas to the supportive folks here on TC! All of the weirdos here at Vitu Waitui wish each of you a Happy Holiday regardless of what you celebrate. May it be filled with Peace, Joy and Rum! IMG_7407IMG_7409IMG_7413IMG_7416 IMG_7333 IMG_7476IMG_7475IMG_7430IMG_7413

While I’m here I’ll introduce some of the staff that I have thus far been omitted from previous introductions. This is Bob (He hasn’t been well received by the other Tikis because of his background….haters). Bob is named after his late creator (RIP Robert from Sugarloaf Cordwood) Bob’s origin was a chainsaw carving which clearly doesn’t sit well with the other Tikis. Despite not being popular he wore his best tie for the Xmas party.

IMG_7464

Between the Big Ku’s is the bar TV….I know, I haven’t done shit to camouflage the TV……above the TV are two festive holiday gents that are perpetually entangled in a struggle, Charlie and Seymour.

IMG_7408

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies