Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Maui Disaster Relief

Pages: 1 8 replies

I am sure we are well educated on the fires in Maui and the loss of Lahaina. I expected someone to beat me to this post, but I guess no one did.

I suggest we start a list of a reputable disaster relief organisations.

I'll begin with the Maui Food Bank that has set up emergency operations and is turning donations directly into food in hands (and mouths). I donated $100.

https://mauifoodbank.org/

I spent alot of my Teenage years in Lahaina and Kaanapali, my folks had a Condo there and before that, we stayed at the Royal Lahaina on summer vacations and dined with the family at the Don the Beachcombers regularly, this really leaves me heartbroken.

Great idea!

Our local news station has a listing on their website of (presumably) vetted organizations who are providing assistance (once you get past their banners and pop-ups):

How to Help Those affected by Maui Wildfires

I sent some money to Maui Strong, they were on several recommended lists. I think The Red Cross is a good one but I didn't see a way to earmark the money for Maui, it just went to their general fund

Red Cross is involved in Maui Operations, confirmed by Hawaiian Airlines.

M
MrFab posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2023 9:06 PM

For anyone in the LA area this week:

maui

Thanks, i would def love to hear more memories of Lahaini. Memories are all we have left now.

M
MrFab posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2023 7:23 PM

there are 17 Orange County, California restaurants hosting “mai tai nights“ for Maui relief. “ For the entire month of October, more than a dozen O.C. restaurants will take part in the Ohana Mai Tai fundraiser. One hundred percent of all sales of Mai Tais, the rum-based cocktail synonymous with Tiki culture, will go toward the Legacy of Aloha Foundation, a newly formed nonprofit that will give grants to more than 800 TS Restaurants and Maui Brewing Co. employees on Maui, many of whom have lost their homes as a result of the fire.”

Costa Mesa:

Three-13 Bar, 820 W. 19th St.

Huntington Beach:

Brant Kitchen and Bar, 21058 Pacific Coast Highway

Dos Amigos Cantina, 21022 Brookhurst St.

Duke’s, 317 Pacific Coast Highway

Johnny’s Saloon, 17428 Beach Blvd.

Longboard Restaurant & Pub, 217 Main St.

Mama’s Comfort Food + Craft Cocktails, 21022 Beach Blvd.

Matter of Craft, 21022 Beach Blvd.

Offshore 9 Rooftop Lounge at the Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel, 21100 Pacific Coast Highway

Ola Mexican Kitchen, 21040 Pacific Coast Highway

Pacific Hideaway at the Kimpton Shorebreak Resort, 500 Pacific Coast Highway

Sandy’s Beach Shack, 315 Pacific Coast Highway

Surf City Ale House Kitchen + Bar, 301 Main St.

Triple Crown Tavern, 714 East Adams Ave.

Newport Beach:

The Cannery, 3010 Lafayette Ave.

Louie’s by the Bay, 2801 West Coast Highway

Seal Beach

Mahé, 1400 Pacific Coast Highway

Anything like this going on in Los Angeles?

M
MrFab posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2023 7:23 PM

(sorry, duplicate post)

[ Edited by MrFab on 2023-10-08 16:38:34 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies