Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Timeline of Monte Proser's Beachcomber

Pages: 1 3 replies

I've been doing a bit of research into Monte Proser's Beachcomber and thought I should share the timeline I came up with and the supporting documentation.

Monte Proser's Beachcomber in New York City opened in late December of 1939, just in time for New Year's Eve of 1940. 400108 New Years Eve

Four months later, Don Beach was calling gossip columnists long distance (an expensive proposition back in the day) to complain about Monte's Beachcomber and announce he will open one of his in Manhattan. 400428 Don on Attack

Don brought at least one lawsuit against Monte (possibly multiple, but it is unclear as the gossip columnists weren't the best at real world factual stuff.) In July of 1940, it was reported that Monte won the suit brought by Don and would continue to use the name Beachcomber as well as drink names (presumably the zombie). The accuracy of this info has to be measured against the source. 400717 Monte Won

Although Monte supposedly won back in July, in November Monte is expressing confidence in the out come of his lawsuit. 401112Lawsuit 1940

In June of 1941, less than seven months after proclaiming confidence, it is reported that Don and Monte settled the lawsuit and the Monte would change the name of his establishment to Monte Proser's Zombie by July 1. 410604 Settlement

On June 30th, Monte was telling everyone it would the Beachcomber would reopen the next day as the Zombie. 420630 Reopen Tomorrow Zombie

In spite of the settlement, on July 25th it was reported that Monte's Beachcomber had closed even after changing the name to Zombie. 410725 Beachcomber Closed

But all is not finished for this Not Don's Beachcomber; in September of 1941 it is reported that the Beachcomber will reopen on October 2nd with Joe Moss at the helm. 410919 Beachcomber To Reopen October 2

It appears to have actually reopened 5 days later than planned, on October 7th. 411007 Beachcomber Moss Reopen Tonight

Needless to say, Don wasn't at all happy and, less than a week later, was heard to say that he would take Moss to court. 411014 Don I Will Sue Moss

All this while the Beachcomber's reopening was being celebrated. 411015 Beachcomber Reopend Moss

I've yet to determine when the Beachcomber finally closed its doors for good, but in May of 1942 it was announced that Don finally won his lawsuit and was awarded substantial (for the time) damages and exclusive use of the name Beachcomber. 420522 Don Finally Won

Maybe not the original Monte Proser's Beachcomber, but almost exactly 18 years later, in May of 1960, Monte was supposedly going to "reopen the Beachcomber" in the same spot it was back in 12/39 through probably mid 1942. (We know now that it was the Lanai that opened in 1960 which very soon became the Hawaii Kai and operated without mention of Monte's involvement.) 600526 Reopen 1960

As always, research and history does not follow a straight line -- there are still tangents to follow, as well as a few loose ends to tie up. I'll update this thread with new information on the timeline as i find it, and probably start new ones when I fall down the tangents.

We loved reading this! Thank you so much. We own and enjoy Zombies on Broadway (1945) with Bela Lugosi, so as we were reading over this we realized the movie had to be based on Monte Proser's club?! Excellent post. Cheers!

I just looked up the movie and since it says that two press agents opened the bar, and that the mob was involved, I would definitely agree that inspiration came from Monte Proser's Beachcomber as Monte claimed to be a press agent before opening nightclubs, and I am completely convinced he was a frontman for the mob.

I just looked up the movie and since it says that two press agents opened the bar, and that the mob was involved, I would definitely agree that inspiration came from Monte Proser's Beachcomber as Monte claimed to be a press agent before opening nightclubs, and I am completely convinced he was a frontman for the mob.

Pages: 1 3 replies