Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Has anyone seen this before?

Pages: 1 17 replies

S

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3347132554&category=2009

I am not the seller or a bidder.

I have seen this mug style, but not that printing. Anyone else?

That's really cool. I bet the price goes astronomical.

It makes complete sense that they used this mug for a convention that took place in New Orleans. The mug matches perfectly the first Tiki-Bob-style mug used by the Pontchartrain Beach "Bali Ha'i" in New Orleans. That first mug used brown cold-paint over the glaze like this one, instead of under-the-glaze like the later version and the Tiki Bob's & Hawaiian Village versions. You can see the brown cold-paint flaking in the bottom photo:

I bet it was made by the same company, and I wouldn't be surprised if the convention took place at the Bali Ha'i itself

Sabu

I

What a nice item .... and now I kick myself for not trying to attend more of the estate sales in the D.C. area, where this item was found.

But that would mean getting up early and standing in line ..... ah, forget it. It was probably one of those estate sales held on early Saturday morning, the day after I had too many mai-tais the night before.

Vern

S

I believe for one year when it first opened, the Bali Ha'i was known as:
The Beachcomber's. Once in a "blue" moon, one will come up on eBay. (A tiki Bob with DBeachcomber (New Orleans) printed on it.

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2003-09-09 21:02 ]

UB

I'm not trying to be negative, but how hard would it be to alter the lettering\text in the white canvas of the mug?

S

Oops! corrected my post above.

In 1949 only, it was called:
"The Beachcomber"......

Those are obviously rare.

I wonder about copies also.

I would kill for this mug. Two of my favorite things; Elvis and tiki.

I almost ended up buying a timeshare in Kauai a couple of years ago on the property where they filmed 'Blue Hawaii'. I went to the timeshare presentation and everything. Then I realized that I can't even begin to afford something lke that.

But seriously, how cool would that be.

I would kill for this mug. Two of my favorite things; Elvis and tiki.

I almost ended up buying a timeshare in Kauai a couple of years ago on the property where they filmed 'Blue Hawaii'. I went to the timeshare presentation and everything. Then I realized that I can't even begin to afford something lke that.

But seriously, how cool would that be.

I'm with ya' Lucky...
Nobody beats The King.
Have ya' ever seen the "Elviki" statue? I forgot who produced them a few years back but I'd love to get my paws on one...
Aloha,
:tiki:

I'm with ya' Lucky...
Nobody beats The King.
Have ya' ever seen the "Elviki" statue? I forgot who produced them a few years back but I'd love to get my paws on one...
Aloha,
:tiki:

Is there an echo in this thread? Seriously, that mug is pretty darn cool!

M

The Elvis Tiki Bob. Tis a Grail for many a Tiki collector out there. I have seen but a few in my long travels across the globe, pretty much just Alameda and back, searching for the little bugger.

Expect a huge bounty on his head. I can see $400-500.

It won't be going to our little collection.

M

This is definitely in my top 5 most wanted! It's cool, it's rare, it's Elvis, it's Bob! However, the price on this one is going to go way past my limit. So I won't even bother bidding as I know there are others watching with much deeper pockets that I. There's also one other thing that makes me a bit paranoid here...

Unga Bunga brings up a very legitimate point regarding the possibility of a fake. To elaborate, I bought one of the Beachcomber/Bali Hai Bob style mugs awhile back for about $12 (presumably the same as this Elvis mug with different text). After examining it closely I noticed that the text is printed on "top" of the glaze and can easily be scraped off. It wouldn't take a genius to reproduce that Elvis text and silkscreen it right over where the old text was scraped off. Of course that would be totally unethical...and, as we all know, every seller on eBay has the highest of moral standards. :wink:

Hmmm...if you see a similar Elvis mug in my collection...you'll know I decided to get creative. I'm not accusing the seller of anything shady, just examing the possibilities. Be careful out there, things are not always what they seem.

ModMana :drink:

You've got to admit, the text is flawless \ perfect on this baby, and yet, the back has been to "hell and back".

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-11 02:42 ]

T

I noticed in the Tiki Road Trip book that they mention that it was "imitated .. by the producers of an Elvis movie as a give-away to the cast and crew".

That is just way too cool and I would assume only few would exist today. To try to pull off a fake would incur some real badness.

S

I wonder who the high bidder is....

I have seen "kohalacharms" pay $$$ for tiki mugs/related items....

S

He's a California guy. I hear he's a real nice guy. We have urged him to get on TC.

T

Dave Krys, http://www.dskdesigns.com/ produced the Elviki statues. I spoke with him @ Exotica2003, he said Tiki Farm was going to make an Elviki mug or something. It was loud when I talked to him.

Pages: 1 17 replies