Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Airstream Trailer Discussion

Pages: 1 9 replies

I am just t... can't afford one right now but I'm lookoing to research ideas for when I do. My idea is to buy a small plot of land in northern ontario for about 20 g's, then buy an airstream (used and in need of work) for 5 g's, and make a little cottage out of it. anyone done anything similar?

Seems like it would be a fun proiject and a good investment all in one. I could rent it out when Im not there, and use it when I am.

I have had a hard time finding info on the net about turning an airstream into a cottage however. you would think this was a fairly common thought but no doce on the google search. I'm talking about putting in a real flush toilet hoked up to septic, and hooking up the stove, etc into an electric line.

Sorry, DUh, spellcheck?

half my mesage got erased in the first line.. but I think you get the idea.

The Shady Dell in Bissbee, Arizona is Zazz! They have taken 12 to 33 foot Airstreams and turned them into the hotel. Lady Velour has pictures somewhere but you get the idea from the webpage. We haven't stayed there yet, but will someday.
Also the Hula Car lives in Bissbee.

T

Wow, that place is da bomb! Thanks for the link.

On 2003-09-10 23:41, johnnievelour wrote:
The Shady Dell in Bissbee, Arizona is Zazz! They have taken 12 to 33 foot Airstreams and turned them into the hotel. Lady Velour has pictures somewhere but you get the idea from the webpage. We haven't stayed there yet, but will someday.
Also the Hula Car lives in Bissbee.

The main reason to vist Bisbee AZ is legend has it, it was the birthplace of TIKI BONG!

My grandfather was a copper miner in the mines of Bisbee from about 1940 to 1972. He used to take me to an area in town called 'Brewery Gulch', which during the boom times boasted over 100 bars.

T

The largest amount of info is on this web site:

http://www.vintage-vacations.com/home_base.htm

They may have the info you need or you may be able to find it on one of the many links they list.

There was a short lived magazine (only 3 issues) called "Lost Highways" about vintage trailers. They may have something helpful. After being out of print for years they are available again here:
http://www.losthighways.org/

Go to the Museum Shop and there's a link to Lost Highways quarterly magazine.

The Shady Dell is a must visit if you love vintage trailers. I was amazed to find the trailers completely furnished with vintage decor and even 78s with a record player. We stayed in the Spartan Royal Mansion and the Spartan Manor.

On 2003-09-10 22:29, tikifish wrote:
anyone done anything similar?

A year or 2 ago Ralph Lauren did a make-over on 4 or 5 Airstreams (one Southwest-y, one Addirondack-ish, etc.) for a charity auction. You might wanna seek out those pics to see his use of space, etc.

-Z

Sorry to get off topic here but,.....Bong, are you Apache Indian? Not joking, I've got this feeling you're part American Indian. Just curious.

My friend Fisher here in Clayton is restoring one right now...he wants me to take over when he gets to design the interior.....ALL TIKI! Cool assignment for me..I'm psyched if it transpires. It still has all of the Wally Byram's Globetrotter Jamboree stickers on the inside of the door!

T

Thanks for all the info my 'peeps'. I have hit many more links since I posted this looking for 'permanent affixing of airstream' but nothing yet on making it 'permanent' with a real toilet and such. Maybe that is not a good idea - maybe the point is to keep it mobile (duh). Except for I would have no where else to put it, and I don't want to keep hauling it to the poo-dumping station!

I have found a site that has cool composting toilets, you could put one of those suckers in... but then you'd want it hooked up to water anyway for kitchen stuff so what's the point, might as well get the satisfaction of a flush.

HEre's another thought - if you leave it on your vacation property year round, what's to stop some evil person from just hitching their car to it and stealing it away?

Maybe I should buy an island. Cheaper, and less chance of theft!

Pages: 1 9 replies