Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

John Ritter dead

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

He really was funny. He should have had a starring role comedy movie career like john candy. ...and did you see the episode of Buffy where he was an evil robot? One of the best ones.

TV Sitcom Star John Ritter Dead
Fri September 12, 2003 04:09 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor John Ritter, who gained fame playing bumbling and lovable characters in a pair of television comedies decades apart, has died, a representative said on Friday.
Details of the circumstances of his death were not immediately available.

Ritter was best known for his portrayal of Jack in the 1970s situation comedy "Three's Company" and recently he starred in the series "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," a centerpiece of broadcaster ABC's upcoming fall schedule.

John Ritter was the son of country singer and actor Tex Ritter.

Are you atheist, agnostic, deist, pantheist, transcendentalist... Meet people who share your interest in rational religion in your town.
http://universist.meetup.com

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-09-12 03:17 ]

T

That's too bad. I always thought he was an underrated comic too. Never got over the stigma of being Jack Tripper.

Waht was that movie where he was the gay grocery guy?

my high school drama coach went to college with him where they starred together in a version of "Fieffer's People". She had only nice things to say about him.

M

Looks like it was an undetectable defect in his heart. That's cause for terror. Poor guy.

Died on his daughter's birthday as well, a week shy of his 55th. Just terrible.

K

My fave movie of his is the one with the glow-in-the-dark condom fight...can't remember what it was called.

:drink:

On 2003-09-12 06:35, tikifish wrote:
That's too bad. I always thought he was an underrated comic too. Never got over the stigma of being Jack Tripper.

Waht was that movie where he was the gay grocery guy?

That was Slingblade -- a great role for him in a great movie. Very sad. He just appeared on the cover of Orange Coast Magazine. John made us laugh. He was a good guy.

On 2003-09-12 17:15, Juno wrote:
My fave movie of his is the one with the glow-in-the-dark condom fight...can't remember what it was called.

And the answer is ...

Though he was also on the Dating Game and there may have been a condom incident after that ...

I think most people will remember him this way ...

Rest in peace John.

K

Didn't I see him on an episode or two of The Waltons where he played a minister?

Yes, that's true he was on the Waltons a few times. And yes, as was metioned on earlier on this thread, he definitely was an underrated comic. Probably one of the best physical comics on TV in the last 25 years. In fact the only really great physical comics I can think of on prime time TV in that time period would be John Ritter and Michael Richards ('Kramer' on Seinfeld).
RIP John. :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-09-13 23:33 ]

I never really watched TV too often in John Ritter's sitcom heyday. But I did love his movies (I think I saw Problem Child about 50 times when my kids were young). His part in BBT's Sling Blade was brilliant. Somehow I feel the best was yet to come...but we'll never know. Such is life. Farewell John.

Pages: 1 9 replies