Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

R.I.P. Johnny Cash 9/12/03

Pages: 1 14 replies

We lost another great one today.
http://www.cmt.com/news/feat/jcash.dies.091203.jhtml

I was listening to Johnny Cash not to long ago in this cool old bar I used to go to a lot--The Golden Bubble.

I'm going to have to dig my records out of the rubble and give him a spin!

My first 'fovorite song' was Ring of Fire when I was 6 or so waaaayyyyy back in 1966.

(been kind of a tough last week for musicians, ey?)

My Ol'Man would get smashed and fall asleep on the couch with "Ring of Fire" playing over and over and over again.

So long Johnny.

D

Johnny's Ring of Fire was the first song my husband and I chose to dance to at our wedding.

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE no Shania Twain or Billy Ray Cyrus or Christina Aguilera "Johnny Cash Tributes".

Let the man Rest in Peace!

It would be nice for old Willie to come out and do something though.

Yeah, and Dylan or even Dolly Parton.

Tonight at Eighth Street Vintage in Augusta, GA we will play Johnny Cash all night as a tribute to him and his family.

God bless "The Man in Black"!!

T

On 2003-09-12 15:16, Luckydesigns wrote:
It would be nice for old Willie to come out and do something though.

Also Dale Watson, Wayne Hancock, and Junior Brown. They're the keepers of the real country music flame.

I guess this means our previously scheduled Tex Mex Spaghetti Western theme night at the Conga Lounge tomorrow night will also be a tribute to Johnny.

Johnny Cash and Barry White and Warren Zevon, all in the same year. And what are we left with? Justin Timberlake and ilk. Sad. Very sad day for our world, indeed.

S

Will miss the Cash...always an original...

I went out to a place called 'Johnny's Bar' last night (the night of Cash's passing) and the place was packed. They had a tribute night for Johnny. The juke box was playing mostly old punk but when Cash came on (especially during Folsom Prison) the place went nuts. People were yelling and throwing beers, singing along. Then, later on they switched off the box and after some yelling by the bartenders, a tattooed punk with bagpipes played Johnny home with 'Amazing Grace'. I've never seen so many punks, skinheads, and greasers all well up and forget all of the stupid tough guy bullshit. A very suitable evening to remember Johnny.

The death of Johnny Cash hit me like a hammer. It was the first thing I heard when I turned on the news that morning. My wife and I both sat up in bed simultaneously and looked at each other as if..."did I just hear that, or was I dreaming?" Johnny Cash was the real thing. His music cut across all cultural, generational, racial & musical barriers to make him one of most beloved and respected artists of the century (both of them). The world will be a worse place without him, but his work will live on, inspiring thousands to follow in his footsteps. I'd like to think that Johnny arrived at the Pearly Gates to find Warren Zevon waiting for him in the lobby. Later they hook up with Waylon Jennings and Elvis for the ultimate jam session...recorded by Sam Phillips ('natch).

Pages: 1 14 replies