Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Very unusual TIKI skirt on ebay.Any info?

Pages: 1 24 replies

M

Hi,
I sell on ebay under the id biddixs .I have a most unusual skirt on auction now.The auction ends tomorrow.If I had know about this website sooner,I would have posted this earlier.I would liked to have known more about the skirt but have found no one that has seen anything like it.
I don't know how to post the auction.I hope that you can find it with my id or search for-Caron Unique Hawaiian Colorful TIKI skirt 12 .
Thank you for your time...MissB

Thank you very much MissB for posting one of your auctions. You see, we, as a group, love all things tiki, but do not know where to buy such quality items.

Since the stockmarket's taken a dump, we have piles of cash gathering dust, longing for such a transaction. If there's anything we can possibly do to enrich your livelihood, please inform us!

As a matter of fact! I have a few tiki items I'd like to give you to put up on an auction, so I can have the honor of bidding on them.

Thanks for bringing your first post to such a personal level, and we hope we hear from you during your next auction!

Aloha...

MB

ok, I'm straining zee brain, but I'm 99.9% sure I'm not divorced.
:)

[ Edited by: Mrs. B on 2003-09-14 21:24 ]

Ouch! Tiki_Bong, you rock! (In a delightfully scathing sarcastic way!)

I'll add my .1% to that, babe!!!

M
missb posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 4:38 PM

It seems that I have offended some people with my posting.On the forums page it said"This is a forum specfically for posting about eBay Tiki Stuff. Other auctions sites too."I did not realize that I was doing something wrong and for that do I apologize.I am trying to learn about tiki stuff and was told that the people here were friendly and knowledgeable and that is why I came here.I did read some of the posts and thought it was ok to post an auction.
Again,I do apologize to those that I offended and I will not be doing it again..
missb

T

Miss B, it is easy to understand your confusion. Although this is a forum specifically about buying and selling tiki, and often those are Ebay items, a lot of Tiki Centralites don't take kindly to people signing up just to advertise their wares in their very first post.

If you think about it logically, if every Ebay seller came on here every time they put something tiki on Ebay, this forum would just become 'Ebay 2: Electric Boogaloo' and not be of much use to anyone, as it would just be a carbon copy of the 'tiki' category Ebay, which we are all familiar with, and browse frequently anyway.

Generally, this forum is used buy people who have already been active on Tiki Central, have joined the discussions, have shown a bit of community spirit, and aren't here just to make a buck.

PLEASE don't get me wrong, you may not be like that, and your next post may tell us all of some long lost tiki bar, or a great drink recipe, but when your first post out of the gate is selling, as opposed to chatting and sharing, people get miffed.

However, these 'unwritten rules' are not posted (perhaps a bit unfairly), and many people have to learn this bit of TC etiquette the hard way. Some have stayed and enjoyed the ride, others have left in a huff. I hope you will be of the former.

Hanford - perhaps we need to have a bit of a warning in the 'collecting tiki' forum description to this effect? I'm sure many of these people don't mean to offend. They are just following the instructions on the topic thread that say you can post anything you have to sell.

Thanks for explaining, Tikifish. My problem is I don't agree with the "unwritten rules", and I don't understand how why people get offended when someone comes and posts about their ebay auctions here.

I've been thinking of not allowing any advertising of any kind on Tiki Central (including ebay links) from ANYONE except for people willing to shell out money for it (since it is advertising, and on most sites, advertising is not free). What ya'll think o' that? :D

~Hanford

W

Hanford: Charge for eBay listings. Any way you can make some dough to keep TC going is fine with me. I agree with tikifish who pointed out "...we are all familiar with (eBay) and browse frequently anyway." The posting of an auction is, for most collectors, a redundancy.

As for "unwritten rules"...I just don't get what the big horror is if someone comes on here to sell their goods. It's not as if Walmart announced it's building a website on top of Tiki Central. There are TC members who mostly only post when they have new products to sell, and some of them have Tiki God like status around here even though we never get a drink recipe or Tiki history tip from them. If your shocked, SHOCKED, by those hocking their wares you could always try igonoring their posts.

And finally...missb said "(I) was told the people here were friendly..." Tiki Central people are friendly, I direct Tikiphiles to Tiki Central all the time and when I do I always talk up what a great community it is...The active postings, the exchange of information, the real life interactions, and of course the love of Tiki. I'm more than tired of the trashing of people who supposedly break some "unwritten rules".

T

I think if you charged for ads, the sorts of things you would henceforth find in this forum would be along the likes of:

TAHITIAN NONI JUICE!!!
LEARN SECRETS OF EBAY 1 CENT CD!!!!
My WIFE thinks I'm CRAZY!!!
TIKI DIET PILLS - Lose 30 POUNDS OVERNIGHT!
Men, is your TIKI POLE too SMALL?

Just a hunch!

IT APPEARS TIKI-BONG HAS BEEN UP ALL NIGHT WASTE-ING AWAY AT MARGARITTTTTTAVILLEEEEEEEEEE.WOW!I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT TIKI NOT FREAKY.

W

But y'know, tikifish, that's not such a bad idea...There'd be a sepearte "Ads" forum and we'd all be allowed to respond to paid ads just like a regular post. It'd be a great outlet for pent up agression and the nastier wit many of us are capable of and eventually it'd become a marketing tool for the advertisers. Right next to "As Seen on TV!" they'd put "As Trashed On Tiki Central!"

K

Good grief TIKIISLANDS! Is that you Kokomo? I dreampt I was at the World's Longest Yardsale and you were serving pink lemonade to weary travelers on your porch. So I know you can be nice if you want to be.

[ Edited by: kctiki on 2003-09-16 07:52 ]

TIKIISLANDS, I think the Buffett reference was a bit too spot on for the newbie persona, but up until then I thought you were doing great.

So you think that is pink lemonaid do you.Takes more then just lemonaid to keep them coming.

You may be right,i guess i may have been a little to forward for a newbie.I will apoligize to tiki-bong when the air clears.ok

No A-pol-o-gees required TIKIISLAND!

I've always thought one should introduce themselves before they stick their tongue down my throat.

Bong, I think you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder for some reason...what gives?

L

On 2003-09-15 23:30, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Thanks for explaining, Tikifish. My problem is I don't agree with the "unwritten rules", and I don't understand how why people get offended when someone comes and posts about their ebay auctions here.

I've been thinking of not allowing any advertising of any kind on Tiki Central (including ebay links) from ANYONE except for people willing to shell out money for it (since it is advertising, and on most sites, advertising is not free). What ya'll think o' that? :D

~Hanford

Well, I don't see a problem with people posting their auctions-even on someone's first post ( I actually have a problem with people posting other's auctions like "look what I found" It only tips off other tiki collectors). I'm sure if someone came around selling a dead stock box of severed head mugs or Diamond Head shirts-you all would embrace that person. I didn't see the rude, scarcastic comments on the Disney dress thread. She DID follow the rules, and it clearly says EBAY: in the title so, the rude comments were totally inappropriate. Don't read it if you aren't interested! Bong, why are you reading a skirt auction thread anyway? Hmmmmm

Hanford, I don't agree with charging for auction listings. There have been many discussions about auctions that were posted by another member which provide needed information(like "has anyone seen this mug-this is not my auction") Whats to stop one member from posting another's auction to avoid the charge, or creating a fake member. It just seems like too many problems and I don't want to read any non-tiki spam.

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-09-16 11:50 ]

I don't like the 100% posts that say, "I'm selling this item, so you better check it out before it's gone" crap. But I do like a post that can make fun of, bring insight, bring knowledge of an Ebay sale for the entertainment of TCers. Here's an example (making fun of type post) of a post I just recently did.
P.S., If you do purchase this item, I will expect my usual 10% referral fee within 10 days.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5502&forum=5&3

On 2003-09-16 11:27, TikiHula wrote:
Bong, I think you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder for some reason...what gives?

Well, I guess it was when both my parents were murdered in front of me when I was 8. I hope you can forgive me now...

On 2003-09-16 11:41, laney wrote:
Bong, why are you reading a skirt auction thread anyway? Hmmmmm

'Cause I is HOT in 'em!

A

Look back at this thread - there's one post about an ebay item, with a clearly labeled subject title. Then how many TOTALLY non-tiki-related posts followed the original?

I don't get the beef about the original post - it's definitely not wasted bandwidth. All the griping took far more posts than the original one consumed. And it's not about breaking the rules or false advertising. And in fact, the more people make posts to gripe about the original, the more "bumps" or attention the whole thread receives, which defeats the purpose of the griping.

Ah-ha! Maybe griping is just a clever ploy to bring MORE attention to this particular thread and auction.

-Randy

I made a Hawaiian Shirt Swag Lamp today. Took an old Hilo Hattie and nailed it over a box frame. It's real lame when you first look at it but then it kinda grows on you. Got a scanner and will have a pic up soon.

On 2003-09-17 07:55, RevBambooBen wrote:
I made a Hawaiian Shirt Swag Lamp today. Took an old Hilo Hattie and nailed it over a box frame. It's real lame when you first look at it but then it kinda grows on you. Got a scanner and will have a pic up soon.

Well it's been 2 years.Where is that pic.Never did see it.

Sometimes I feel LiKe A oNe LeggEd MaN In aN ASs KiCkInG cOnTeSt.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-03-10 10:01 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies