Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sam's Seafood Polynesian Review October 17, 2003 AD

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

OK ask not further!

Let's all hit Sam's Seafood on October 17 for the Polynesian Review. The Jab and his bunch are booked, as are me and mine.

If interested, you should call ASAP as it sells out quickly.

If the number of people interested is kept to a small mob, we could meet at my Tiki Hut for a drink or 5.

Post away!

A

We're in
Mahalo,
Al

T

We are right behind you.

Also make sure to mention the "On-line coupon" for a $5.00 discount when you make your reservations. Hey, that's one more Mai Tai for the night.
Sam's
562 592-1321

Cheapskate Trustar

[ Edited by: trustar on 2003-09-17 14:16 ]

[ Edited by: trustar on 2003-09-17 17:18 ]

[ Edited by: trustar on 2003-09-17 17:21 ]

We are in
Make sure if you did not tell them you are with TIKI Central to call them back and let them know.
That way he said "Eye kaan poot ewe al 2-geder"
My keyboard has a lousy accent.
C-ya

CA

i'v been waiting for this... me in

Will the waitress from Shiffer Island be working?

Thanks, I'll try to call tomorrow. I've never seen the show! Bong- thanks for the separate thread.

T

I'm glad to see more people are joining us! I have only been to the bar before so I really haven't experienced Sam's until I see the show. There's some pictures by SugarCaddyDaddy in this thread if you're curious:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1494&forum=1

Let's go! Ben and Mrs. Bamboo? PolyPop? Sabu? SugarCaddy? Sven? Traderpup? Floratina? johnnievelour? Damn, we need more women in this group! I know it's sorta pricey so if you just meet us for a drink in the bar after I'll understand.

T

The Mrs. and I just made our reservations.

P.S. We are Sam's virgins.

Still pondering the dinner thing. But drinks afterward sounds good.

I'll definitely be there for drinks. Won't be making the show -- saving my pennies for a secret trip to Hawaii.

On 2003-09-24 10:44, PolynesianPop wrote:
I'll definitely be there for drinks. Won't be making the show -- saving my pennies for a secret trip to Hawaii.

Pop,

That's completely understandable not wanting to drop the cash on Sam's show for your 2 wonderful, beautiful children in order to take them, as the loving father I know you are, to Hawaii.

Please, tell us more about your Hawaii trip - Now!

Come on folks,

Sam's may not be around forever (2131 AD tops), so break into the piggy bank and let's do the show.

Drinks sound great.
I don't think that I can make the show. I pulled the shortest straw and have to work as Night Dean until 9:00pm.

Pop: I'll see you in the bar around 9:30pm

T

I'll be glad to see Pop and others who can't make it to the show in the bar later. I got a motel within stumbling distance from Sam's so I can enjoy plenty of their drinks.

E

My husband and I will be there. It will be the first time we have met most of the local people in this forum.

TB

UtopianDreem & I just got our reservation last night. See you all there!

The Velour's will be there.

Come on TC let's get the lead out and go to the show.

Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas....
....How he got in my pajamas I'll never know! "WAKE UP!!" Wait, where am I??~~~~ Oh! ...Hi! Yes... I'd like to go!!!I'll even help shuttle the e-knee-brie-8-ted ones who can't fit in Baxters TINI little truck... a hui ho

Mr. Jab-

Did you want to pop into the store on Friday before Sams? E-mail me a time and I'll be there to open it up.

T

On 2003-10-09 11:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
Mr. Jab-

Did you want to pop into the store on Friday before Sams? E-mail me a time and I'll be there to open it up.

Definitely! Are we meeting at Bong's at 5:00 for drinks? If so, maybe we could meet before that at 3 or 4. Let me know today because I'm leaving for Baja first thing tomorrow and I may not read my email for a while. Send your store address and phone number to me at [email protected]. I'll be staying in Laguna Beach on Thursday night the 16th. at the Best Western Laguna Reef Inn (under the name Robin Jackson) if you need to leave a message. Or if anyone wants to join us come on down to the Royal Hawaiian on Thursday night - we'll be drinking Lapu Lapus until they kick us out!

Also, we are going to try and hit Trader Vic's on Saturday afternoon (on the 18th.) and the Tiki Ti as soon after 6PM Saturday as we can. We're staying Saturday near the Tiki Ti.

T

Yeah, we can meet at my hut for a drink or t2o. All else, post if you want to stop by and I'll email you directions.

Jab, I tried to email my phone # and address to you via your email address, but it came back (?). Ben has my number and address, stop by around 5:00 or so on that Friday before Sam's.

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-09 17:59 ]

T
thejab posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2003 7:30 PM

Bong - Give me directions to your place and your phone number (if you want email me at [email protected]).

Ben - Did you see my post? Could we stop by the store on the 17th.? I need directions.

I'll meet you guys early too! Jabbo, I'll see you at Ben's and Bong's (a Bamboo smoke shop?)...

damn, i've been wanting to check that show out, but my dough is goin to the ms. and i for teaseorama. let me know if anybody will be at teaseorama this weekend.
maybe us stragglers that dont get to sams this time out can make a trip. hope you guys have a blast.

Hey Now-

Bamboo does not partake in that stuff!

JEEEEEZO
Is this the new TC personals board?
Take a phone number or E-mail address.
"Personal messages" heard of it?
I'm going to get some Liquid Dumber
Thread unclogger

So Bax,

Hows the office job? Life treating you good? Any trips comin' up? Been to church lately?

Jab,

Still couldn't get email through (?)

Call me when in Huntington Beach cel 714-393-3378.

I'll try to stop by Ben's after I get some tattoo work done around 4:00.

My hut is about 1 block away from Ben's shop.

Aloha

Hey Polypop!

How'd you get that picture of a tiki into your posts. That's totally cool.

T

Bummmmmmmp

What time is the show?

Bong's @ 5??
Mosey to Sam's @ 6? 6:30?
Drunken monkeys @ 8?
AlkaSeltzer @ 12?

Trustar

could those who are going to the Sam's show tell the Jab to call me on my cel phone 388-5388. He knows the area code. I want to meet him on Saturday. Thanks for bringing this note along to tell him---bruce

If anyone wants to stop by the Bong Hut for a Chief Lapu Lapu, feel free. But not until at least 5:00.

I figure we'll head over to Sam's about 6:30 for da show.

If any out-of-towners don't know where I live, ring my cel phone at 714-393-3378 and I'll give you the destructions...

I feel like a cheapo here, but where can I find the "on-line" coupon? Anyone...anyone?

Here you go!

http://www.samsseafood.com/coupon.htm

Looks like all you have to do is mention it when you call for reservations.

Any reviews?
You've had 2 days now to sober up, get wit it.
Okay, a day and a half.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-19 12:23 ]

CRAZZZZZZZZZZZY AL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a night! The So Cali krew were celebrating pau hana style alright!

The highlight of the night was when the MC gal picked 3 people out of the audience to have a little hula fun with. Little did she know that the wild looking fellow she picked was just that.

I can't even describe what took place but Crazy Al had the entire place in stitches (with a little Lilo on the side). The MC could hardly carry on for a few minutes.

I had an interesting thing happen in the men's room though. As I was standing at the urinal, an older white male entered the can. After I reeled in the crank I walked over to the sink to wash up after a plate of ribs.

The older fellow also walked up to the sink. Fumbling for small talk, I spilled out "man, those ribs are great!". Then I went on to tell him that we are all part of a tiki collecting group and are having a great time at the show. He said "oh, really".

He went on to tell me he was the owner of Sam's. I then asked him about the gift shop that used to be there decades ago. He said 'yeah, we used to sell mugs and stuff, but then closed it down quite a while ago'.

He also said they used to serve drinks out of 'tiki mugs', but people kept walking off with them (?). I said 'what bastards!'.

He said he'd send a worker down to the basement to fetch me a Sam's mug. Stunned I was. Anyway, after talking his and his wife's ear off for a while, I had him sign the mug. He said there were cases of the mugs in the stanky old basement. The mind wonders...

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-19 20:05 ]

"I had an interesting thing happen in the men's room though"

Whew!!! Good thing for the mug! (I thought you were going to say to everyone that I tried to urinate on your leg!)Arrrrrrrr!!

Good time was had! Nice seeing all and meeting the newbies fron England. What's next?

p.s. The motel we stayed at next door to Sam's, the 777 on pch looks to me that it used to be somewhat Tiki( little hints here and there) a while back (a long while). Sabu? Sven? Class, class, anyone??

On 2003-10-19 20:03, Tiki_Bong wrote:

I had an interesting thing happen in the men's room though. As I was standing at the urinal, an older white male entered the can. After I reeled in the crank I was
fumbling for small talk, I had him sign the mug. The mind wonders...

It's amazing what a few clicks of the delete key can do. Just fuckin with ya Bongster. :)

No prob Unga, you're OK in my book...

The show was great!!! Crazy Al was awesome. It was also cool to meet TheBaxDog & his family.

CA

They shanghaied Pug and me... I thought I was busted for some covert antics with theBax during darker moments of the show.... Well at least I didn't ask or volunteer to go on stage.

Never pass up a Polynesian Review!

how was Turks???

I'm starting to get bummed that I missed the show. Sound like it'll never be as good again as it was with Al there. What the hell happened there?

T

I'm sorry that I missed the gathering at Ben's store and at Bong's later, but I had no email access for a week because my old laptop died right after my Chicago road trip. We didn't arrive at Ben's shop until almost 5 on Friday and found it closed - doh! But we got in touch with Ben and were able to see his store (and sign his pole - ooh that came out wrong) on Saturday morning.

I was so glad I finally made it to the show. It was worth the cover price just to see the large showroom area with the waterfall coming out of the lava rock tiki's mouth behind the stage, the numerous large tikis around the room, and the mutiple glass floats and lamps. The show was great and quite long. All the musicians and dancers were top notch. It was a lot different from the Mai Kai's show but equally good. Some of the songs are corny but in a good way. A highlight for me was when the Maori dancer came out of nowhere and thrust his spear right in my face with his tounge hanging out! And Crazy Al's onstage dance was hilarious - he had everyone (including the dancers) laughing their asses off! The food (I had the ribs) was better than I expected but the drinks were pretty bad. Oh well, one can't have everything. The banana daquiri actually was pretty good and made with fresh bananas. But stay away from the Mai Tai.

I enjoyed chatting with several hoiti-toitis but wish I was able to talk to more of them at length. It was over way too early. A few of us went across the street to Turc's and watched the dancers from Sam's show dirty dancing to Led Zeppelin. It's pretty run down but Turc's isn't bad for a dive tiki bar.

I have to go to the next Southern California crawl!

T

...Dirty dancing to Led Zep???? Nothing I appreceiate more than the sheen of sweat on the backs of some beautiful hula dancers.
My O My!!!

Trustar

Pages: 1 2 48 replies