Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tiki Event

Pages: 1 36 replies

T

In response to a post on the main thread, I think we should have a Northeast Tiki gathering! I'm in Connecticut, but I could easily make it up to the Boston area for an event. What do the rest of you New England TC'ers say? I'd be willing to help organize the event. Let's discuss.

Hey Tikigreg,

I'm not a New Englander, but I travel there frequently. I'll be in New England from October 13-24, starting in Boston and working my way through to Western Mass and Connecticut. Maybe we can hook up during that time on one of those days if anyone is interested.

There's also a couple of folks in New York planning a gathering the weekend of October 17 and 18. More on that later this week.

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-09-20 12:27 ]

I'm down, brah. I will help plan, sponsor or just attend any get togethers in N.E., Boston is only 3.5 hours away=) It's tough finding a lit tiki torch up here in Vermont, although I'm lighting them all the time. Someone else just keeps blowing them out;)

"I like you, man. You're crazy, but I like you."

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-09-20 15:13 ]

R
Rain posted on Sat, Sep 20, 2003 3:20 PM

i'm in.
i will be in FL for the weekend of the 17-19th, though, so i won't be able to make that one.

S
SES posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 4:22 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:19 ]

T

I plan on being in the Boston area on the weekend of October 11th. Maybe we can all meet at the Kowloon, the Bali Hai, or perhaps another place that someone would like to suggest. It would be great to get a few more folks and make it a big bash. Maybe I should place a post on the main discussion board to get everyone's attention, as long as Hanford doesn't mind.

Stentiki,I might also be able to make it to Boston the following weekend, but not sure yet. It would be great to hookup then, but if you're coming through Connecticut, maybe we can set something up in this area.

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2003-09-21 06:28 ]

Hey Now Everyone,

I'm in if the time frame works. I wanted to hit the Kowloon and the Bali Hai on Sunday, but after crawling around Salem for the day the kids were beat and just wanted to get home. I saw the Bali Hai from the highway and almost took the next exit.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 6:32 AM

i love salem. i guess i just like a lot of new england in general. i'd love to do what brad the beachcomber is doing around here someplace. i guess it will have to wait until the big lotto win.

I'm from CT (Wilton) but now in NYC. I would love to eventually meet the New England TC chapter, but my calendar in October is jam-packed.
M C

R
Rain posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 10:23 AM

i'm kinda f'ed for time, too, but i really want to check out some tiki stuff here (being new and all...)

S

Hey Tikigreg, et. al.,

Just back from NYC and as always had a fab time with Inky and Manic. Would love to meet you all when during my trip to New England this October.

Here is my schedule to date:

10/13 - 10/15: Boston
10/16 - 10/17: Western Mass.
10/18 - 10/19: NYC
10/19 - 10/21: Greenwich, CT
10/21 - 10/24: Hartford Area
10/25 - Fly Home to The OC

I'm hoping to meet the NYC Ohana on Saturday, October 18. If anyone is up for going out on a school night, we could meet up for dinner at Kowloon sometime between 10/13 and 10/15. Hell, I'll likely be there on one of those nights either way, so the more the merrier!

I'm thinking that Friday, October 17 might be a good night to check out the Huki Lau in Chicopee, MA.

Hope to see yous somewheres during that week.

Back to the top we go.

Aloha! I am eagerly waiting to hear from some of my New England bruddahs and wahines as to the location and time of a N.E. event. My 1000 square foot underground speakeasy tiki bar is nearing completion (e.t.a. oct 31, 2003) which can accomodate 50 - 60 revelers, but it is quite a drive from Boston (3.5 hours) to Burlington, VT. Who would be interested in actually setting a date for a meet & greet at, say, the Kowloon, Saugus, Ma. sometime in October/November? I will be happy to take care of the particulars (reservations and whatever) as long as enough people (three is a good start) are interested. Perhaps we can get some sort of event strategy together (or just chat/brag and drink). Or maybe plans are already under way in which case I want in!

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-10-09 15:24 ]

T

Hey Primo,
I'm up for a gathering, but I did a quick headcount on the New England contingent of TCers, and we might have 6 total. So I'm not sure we have much of a base to go on. Anyone else? At any rate, count me in. I will be in Boston November 15th, not October as I had thought I might be. So if something could be arranged then, let's do it!

T

As noted in stentiki's post above, maybe we could get together at the Huke Lau in Chicopee on the 17th. Anyone else in?

tikigreg

MC

Oct. 17? can't make it--it's my birthday weekend
M C

S
SES posted on Fri, Oct 10, 2003 6:48 AM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 21:30 ]

T

Then maybe a gathering in Burlington would be the ticket. Let me see a show of hands of those willing to make the trek to VT.

R
Rain posted on Fri, Oct 10, 2003 9:15 AM

whats the driving time from providence?

Now we're talking! I could not be more excited than to host my fellow tiki centralites for a night of aloha. Driving time from Boston 3.5hrs; from Montreal 1.5hrs; from Providence or NYC 5.0hrs; Portland, Maine 4.0hrs; Washington DC 13.0hrs; San Francisco 72.0hrs. I am about 100 yards from the Burlington Radisson Hotel. I can offer some very uncomfortable accomodations on a cold cement floor for free and there is a seedy motel a few blocks away if you don't mind commingling with the rent by the week crowd. These are the places within walking distance. All the other standard hotel/motels are within a 7 min drive from my place. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-11-18 07:49 ]

I'm in the Hartford area, and I'm ready to make the 4.5 hour trip. I think this will be a great first step in getting the NorthEast tiki crowd together. Let's see, we have Rain, SES, cabernet, Midway Cafe... any others out there that want to be in the vanguard of the New England Tiki scene?

On 2003-10-09 15:45, tikigreg wrote:
As noted in stentiki's post above, maybe we could get together at the Huke Lau in Chicopee on the 17th. Anyone else in?

tikigreg

Aloha gang,

Here is an update of my plans for next week:

Monday, 10/13 Boston - Dinner at Kowloon
Tuesday, 10/14 Boston - Dinner at Bali Hai
Wednesday, 10/15 Boston - Drinks at Tiki Room
Thursday, 10/16 Boston - All of the above :wink:
Friday, 10/17 - Western MA - Evening at the Huki Lau? Or NYC

Saturday, 10/18 - NYC
Sunday, 10/19 - Stamford, CT
Monday, 10/20 - Stamford, CT
Tuesday, 10/21 - 10/24 Hartford Area
Friday, 10/24 - Fly Home to The OC
Saturday, 10/25 - Fly to Maui :)
(just thought I'd throw that one in there!)

I currently have plans to drive down to NYC on October 17 but I could change my plans to meet at the Huki Lau in Chicopee if anyone is up for it. However, I need to know soon so I can make advanced plans.

Also, last year I went to the Huki Lau on a Friday night and they were packed! So we would need to set a time. I estimate that I could be there some time after 6 pm.

That's all for now. Lemmie know if you wanna meet.

Mahalo.

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-10-10 12:39 ]

MC

Arty,
you probably know that there's no tiki B-day bash anymore on Friday. I might be doing something small with my friends that night, but nothing is planned. If there's something going on, you're invited. sat night is my b-day and Benny is taking me to see Lewis Black and Dave Attel, so I'll be busy.
M C

S

Dave Attel!

I love Dave Attel! I may have to crash that partay! :wink:

Actually, when I AM Dave Attel when I travel alone!

Maybe I'll see you in New York. I'll keep you posted.

T

Arty,
Let's meet at the Hu Ke Lau on Friday the 17th. My wife and I will be there around 6. Anyone else?

tikigreg

I'm in!

Looking forward to it.

Hu Ke Lau on Friday, October 17, 2003.

Do we need reservations?

R
Rain posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2003 3:30 AM

i will be in FL on the weekend of the 17th. oh well - maybe next time!

T

I'll check on the reservations for the 17th, and will set it up if need be.

With all my big talk... I don't think I'll be able to make it on the 17, but I am going to try to reschedule to make the Hukelau.
I'll keep you all informed.

S

Tikigreg & Kimo,

Aloha from your neck of the woods. This message comes to you courtesy of Kinko's, the Tiki traveler's best friend.

Anyhoo,

Primo, hope you can make it. I would be pleased to meet you (hope you guess my name!).

Tikigreg, it would be cool if we could catch "da show" at the Hu Ke Lau. I think we would definitely need reservations for that one. If not, we can always convene in the bar and have pupus and lapus while we watch the show through the glass window.

I'm thinking we might meet between 6:30 and 7:00 pm. This will give me time to check into my hotel and change from work clothes into the aloha wear.

Should be good fun. Looking forward to meeting you. I'll post again when I get a chance.

Mahalo.

T

Arty,
I made reservations for the show. Seating begins at 6 and the show starts at 7:30. We have reservation A21. Hope you can make it in time to order and eat before the show! Anyone else wanting to come, there's an extra spot at our table.

Looks like I ain't gonna make to the hukelau (the huke huke huke...). Just because I am not going to be there I will still expect those in attendance to "represent". I would still like to help arrange a larger, more permanant New England tiki event. Again, my tiki digs will be finished (relatively) sometime this or next month. I will post some pictures to wet some whistles soon.
Have fun at the Hukelau and please let's keep this post rolling.

S

Tikigreg,

I'm there. Turns out I may have to drive to NYC after the show due to some complications with Expedia.com (Bastards! I'm still trying to work it out) so I will likely go straight to the Hu Ke Lau.

Should be a tiki-riffic time!

Primo, too bad I'll miss you this time but as the California Govenor says "I'll be back" (maybe sometime in May).

Go Sox!

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-11-11 20:10 ]

T

Arty,
Great! See you tomorrow evening!

In the interest of keeping interest up I am posting some pics of my not yet finished home tiki bar. My plans are to have it finished by mid November. It will be finished-finished for a catered New Years Eve luau. All tiki cetralites in the the area (or out), of course, are invited. Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress. I have made no attempt to even clean up for the pics and I am only revealing some of the features. Due to Tiki_Bong's recent post I feel obligated (rightly or wrongly) to show that even new members have the desire and ability to contribute to the greater Tiki community.

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-10-24 14:21 ]

Hey cool pix, Primo!

I'm looking forward to getting up there sometime and meeting you.

Keep us updated.

Is that a real rock wall, or did you paint that?

GN:
That is a genuine rock wall and red rock at that. The space is covered on three sides with this rock. I like it a lot=)
Here are some updated pics taken just this week. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6028&forum=4&14

Pages: 1 36 replies