Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

"Hawaiian Eye" on GoodLife TV

Pages: 1 5 replies

Kindly forgive me if this info has been posted at some point before someplace else around here , but I thought I'd let those interested know that Oakland cable was recently upgraded so now we receive several stations we didn't before, including GoodLife TV http://www.goodtv.com/

The best thing about this station - besides their four hour marathon of the old "FBI" series every Friday night - is their Tuesday night vintage TV detective lineup featuring two episodes of 77 SUNSET STRIP plus episodes of both HAWAIIAN EYE and SURFSIDE 6. It's on Channel 123 locally - look for it wherever you are, and you don't have it, request it - the prints are pristine and these very loungey private eye shows are as ultra-cool as ever, and of course "Hawaiian Eye", as all Palm Springs Tiki Oasis revelers know by now, features a lot of incidental tikis (you can also catch 'em on "Surfside 6" now and then, though that show it set in Miami Beach).The crime jazz on all three of these soundtracks is smokin' and the location atmosphere is dreamy. As Ed "Kookie" Byrnes would put it: Ginchy!

T

They're also showing episodes of "Homefront", the early-90s series about life in a small town in America during WWII. The clothes, cars, and sets are very authentic, and although I usually don't like TV dramas I became addicted to this one because of the good acting and the style of the show. The networks canned it after 3 seasons because it was a well done TV drama, and that just can't be on TV these days! Try it, you might become a fan. It airs on Thursday nights.

Now I'm hearing the Hawaiian Eye theme song.

How nice that you're getting a chance to see these old shows. Hope you're enjoying them.

Sounds like a great station. Wish Comcast would carry it. The best we have out here is the usual suspects: Nick at Nite and TCM.

Waits for Tiki_Bong to weigh in

T

Last night's episode was great. They had a 5 foot tall tiki in the reception area of their office that looked similar to the one in the opening sequence. Everyone kissed the tiki for good luck when leaving the office. There was a luau scene with a samoan fire dancer as well.

Jab~

That Hawaiian Eye tiki is always there at their office. There is a 1-foot "face" version of it on a hanging sign in front of the entrance to their office too. The actual tiki itself is in about 99% of 134 episodes, since part of the humor when entering in the office is when (usually) Anthony Eisley (aka Tracy Steele), kisses his hand, then 'taps' the tiki and "notices" the receptionist behind the desk. The humor part being that Hawaiian Eye never uses the same receptionist, and you will see that there is a different receptionist in every episode, and each one is smokin' hot with fantastic tropical dresses on.

The kiss-your-hand & tap-it-on-the-tiki is sort of a tradition for the detectives to do upon entering and exiting the office. The only one who has actually done a lips-to-tiki kiss, like you saw last night, was done only by Connie Stevens (aka Cricket Blake), and I believe it was done in only 3 of the episodes.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

BTW, for the SoCal people, the Hawaiian Eye TV schedule has been on my calendar for months.

Pages: 1 5 replies