Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Halloween Cocktail music

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

I've been putting some CD's together and the X-mas music topic has inspired me to ask for some help. I have several Halloween CD's (rock, new wave, old classics, etc.) but I'd like to put together a creepy cocktail hour comp. So far I can only think of "Ole' Black Magic" (Mel Torme's version) and Franks' "Witchcraft". I suppose the surf inspired Munsters' Theme might fit, and perhaps Nina Simones' version of "I Put a Spell on You"... but that's only 4. (an EP's worth, not an album) Any suggestions?
-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: feelin' zombified on 2003-09-17 19:49 ]

K

Check out The Moon-Rays "Chills and Thrills" CD. Spooky sci-fi surf from beyond. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.ravenscott2000.com/Moon-Rays.html

:drink:

On 2003-09-17 20:04, Juno wrote:
Check out The Moon-Rays "Chills and Thrills" CD.

Too cool: one of the song samples is a cover of the John Barry Sevens' "BeatGirl" that I just mentioned in the Obscure Films thread yesterday. Small world.

-Z

T

Here's the track list from the NEW WAVE Halloween CD... not quite what you were looking fro but I thought it was worth posting!

1. Time Warp
  2. Everyday Is Halloween - Ministry
  3. Devil in My Car - The B-52's
  4. Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo
  5. Pet Sematary - The Ramones
  6. Theme from Halloween - MX-80 Sound 7. Munsters Theme - Comateens    
  7. Creature from the Black Lagoon - Dave Edmunds    
  8. Halloween - Siouxsie & the Banshees 10. Halloween - Dream Syndicate    
  9. Halloween - Sonic Youth    
  10. Halloween - Dead Kennedys    
  11. Halloween - The Misfits    
  12. Halloween - Mudhoney    
  13. Creature With the Atom Brain - Aliens
T

If you go to amazon.com and type in voodoo you might find something - 'Voodoo' by Robert Drasnin looks interesting.

T

Arthur Lyman's 'Taboo' and 'Taboo 2' may prove fruitful as well.

PS. I just read that you already had a new wave halloween CD, so sorry for the redundancy. Must read posts more carefully!

It's gotta be Screaming Jay Hawkins.... I put a spell on you, Aligator wine, Little Demon....all classics

I

'Halloween Spooks' by Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross

Vern

They're expensive, but you might want to track down the old Halloween lps by Frankie Stein and His Ghouls:
http://www.rogersbasement.com/Frankie.htm

Great 1960s Surf, Twist, Hully Gully, & Frug dance music with all kinds of screams and horror sound-effects going on in the background. Pretty amazing stuff. I was lucky and found the whole set of records at a local Salvation Army thrift store for two dollars apiece.

Sabu

S

Put on a few tracks from the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack and check other movie soundtracks for selected sounds (the Exorcist's Tubular Bells, etc.)...You'll also need Zevon's Werewolves of London..

Big Moon Arising.....as in American Werewolf

"Bad Moon Rising" is good too...

Doors "The End".

Then there's that horrific scary song that can bring shudders or even nightmares..."cheezeburGer in pAradise".

Doh! Bad Moon Arising! Hadn't had enough coffee yet......must wake up..........mustwake up..........

On 2003-09-18 08:19, tikifish wrote:
If you go to amazon.com and type in voodoo you might find something - 'Voodoo' by Robert Drasnin looks interesting.

Are you familiar with this recording Tikifish? I don't know if this one counts as halloween music, but it is Exotica.

http://www.tikicentral.com/music/savage.htm#robertdrasnin

I am excited about this thread, I want to make a halloween cocktail/lounge CD too!

Let's her some more suggestions!

One that I almost forgot:

Theme from The Blob (1958, co-written by Burt Bacharach.

-Z

KK

Not exotica, but Halloween at our house just ain't right without The Cramps.

D
davew posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 7:56 PM

nice call kava king,ALL HAIL POISON IVY!

----------dave from jersey

D
davew posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 8:02 PM

ronnie dawson--rockin bones
the groupies-primative
musick records comps--halloween hootenany 1998

and monster party 2000

and how about zacherlies cds?!
---dave from jersey

"Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide
"Warm Leatherette - the Normal
"Deathcab for Cutie" - Bonzo Dog Band
"DOA" - Bloodrock
"St. James Infirmary Blues" - take yer pick
"Death Threat" - Throbbing Grisle

T

I guess there aren't a lot of exotica/lounge spooky tunes out there then!

Hmmm. I will continue the search... it has started to become on obsession now!

S
SES posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 7:53 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:25 ]

On 2003-09-23 05:21, tikifish wrote:
I guess there aren't a lot of exotica/lounge spooky tunes out there then!

Yup! But I was hoping to find at least 10 or 12 tunes. You'd think Dean Martin would have covered "Purple People Eater" or something!

-Z

Do any of you So. Cal TCers remember Oingo Boingo on Holloween night at the Irvine Forum (I forgot the full name)? I had some great times at that event.

T

I found these 2:

Havana Cuba 1957 - Elegua 
and
Eartha Kitt - I Want to be Evil 

on someone elses online list of Halloween songs. Haven't heard either but they sound promising.

I have an album that has that Eartha Kitt song .. it's great.

These are not lounge, but are fun for Halloween:

Black Magic Woman - Santana
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Bad Moon Rising - Creedence
Witchy Woman - Eagles
I Put a Spell on You - Nina Simone
Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley
Witch Doctor - Davile Seville
Spooky - Daniel Ash

And from the movie The Craft:

1. Tomorrow Never Knows - Our Lady Peace
  2. I Have the Touch - Heather Nova
    (Peter Gabriel does this on the Phenomenon soundtrack that is also great)
  3. All This and Nothing - Sponge
  4. Dangerous Type - Letters to Cleo
  5. How Soon Is Now? - Love Spit Love
  6. Dark Secret - Matthew Sweet
  7. Witches' Song - Juliana Hatfield
  8. Jump into the Fire - Tripping Daisy
  9. Under the Water - Jewel
  10. Warning - All Too Much
  11. Spastica - Elastica
  12. Horror - Spacehog
  13. Bells, Books and Candles - Graeme Revell

I just picked up "Halloween Hootenanny." A great collection of rockabilly bands singing halloween type songs.

T

On 2003-09-22 14:32, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
One that I almost forgot:

Theme from The Blob (1958, co-written by Burt Bacharach.

And recorded by the Five Blobs!

Speaking of "Purple People Eater", Sheb Wooley just passed away. RIP.

There aren't too many spooky lounge songs but the "Music to be Murdered By" record is the soundtrack for the Alfred Hitchcock show and it has a blood-curdling scream at the end. Still, it might get boring at a party to play the whole album as it's pretty boring IMO.

There are tons of late 50s and early 60s spooky rock 'n' roll and surf songs. Pick up any one of these compilations on CD:

Monster Bop - Buffalo Bop CD 55013

Horror Bop - Buffalo Bop CD 55014

Monster's sounds and "boppin" tracks vols.1 and 2 on Belgium's Marginal records - both CDs are long out of print unfortunately

Monster Rock 'n' Roll Show - DCC - some more popular songs on this one, such as "Purple People Eater" and "Monster Mash"

Ghoul luck!

On 2003-09-23 17:10, tikifish wrote:
I found these 2:

Havana Cuba 1957 - Elegua 
and
Eartha Kitt - I Want to be Evil 

The Eartha Kitt track is Purrrfect! thanks! (sorry for the pun)
Also, I just re-watched ED WOOD, the closing credit music was excellent- a theramin AND bongos! I'll have to pick up that disc.
-Z

T

How about "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You"?

Feelin Zombified,
Here are some guests that will be comming to your party.
~ THE ADDAMS FAMILY ~

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-29 15:01 ]

AAAAAAAAAH !!!

Don't scare me like that!

How did you get a picture of my in-laws?

-Z

Holy sheeeeT! That's scarey. Right out of the House of Wax...

T

OK, I have been hard at work on a track list, and have found the following:

The Blob - 5 Blobs (awesome!)
I Want To Be Evil - Earth Kitt
Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
Swamp Fire - Martin Denny and Esquivel
Voodoo Dreams - Les Baxter
Vertigogo - Combustible Edison
Jungle Drums - Martin Denny
Haunted Mansion Organ - Disneyland Halloween
Jungla - Yma Sumac
Goomba Boomba - Yma Sumac
And various spooky sounds to interspers the songs with.

Still looking for:

Halloween Spooks by Lambert Hendricks and Ross
Spacey/Sci Fi stuff
60's exoti-ploitation soundtracks
More obscure spooky Ennio Morricone stuff
Voodoo - Robert Drasnin
and MORE SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Gotta go straight to the master:

The eponymous song from my all time favorite soundtrack, "Hell's Belles," is also great:

And check out the soundtrack to Vampyros Lesbos for some good stuff:

Check your email, TF, for more info.

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 11, 2003 10:56 PM

"The Old Boat" by Eden Ahbez
"Tsetse Fly" by Martin Denny
"Touch of Evil" by Henry Mancini
"Peter Gunn Mambo" by Jack Costanzo (on Mambo Fever)
"Dru Me Negritta" by Ry Cooder
"This Room Is My Castle of Quiet" by Billy May
"Bom Bom / Mood Tattooed" by Les Baxter
"Arcana" by Roberto Cacciapaglia

Sci Fi sounds:
"Alien Autopsy" by Neil Norman
"Vampire Planet" by Neil Norman
"Dark Star" by Neil Norman
"The Invaders" by Neil Norman
"Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet" by Neil Norman
"Not of this Earth" by Neil Norman

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 22:23 ]

T

Here's a few more I found - some may be debatably halloweeny, but hey, it's my CD, I call the shots.

I'd Rather Be Burned As A Witch - Eartha Kitt

That Old Black Magic - Louis Prima and Keely Smith

Spooks in Space - Jen Jacques Perrey

The Outer Limits - The Ventures

Harlem Nocturne - Esquivel

Still looking for that Lambert, Hendricks and Ross 'Halloween Spooks' - anyone have it?

for Sci-Fi music, check out BRAIN IN A BOX. I think it's by Rhino. It's a $100 CD box set with classic scifi themes & incidental music. lots o' theramin.

I'm looking for a good version of DEM BONES. there are a few Jazz/Blues arrangements out there... So far I've only found Fats Waller.

-Z

S
SES posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 8:59 AM

Harlem Nocturne - Esquivel

Hah... I was just going to add this one to my list!
:wink:

hey zombified
i like the idea. if you are going to use "i put a spell on you," please use a screamin jay hawkins version. if you think the original is a lttle too rockin, some of his later recordings of it are slower and more loungy. for that matter, any of his most recent albums contain the theme you are looking for, and have a loungy approach to rock n roll(except maybe sherylin fenn). along the surf lines, check out the ghastly ones album "a haunting we will go go," the bomboras "it came from pier 13." demented are go's song "strangler in paradise," nick cave's song "stagger lee"(a story of murder), and the cramps and early hasil adkins for good measure.
just my suggestions, though you seem to have it in hand for sure, and how.

S
SES posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 9:54 AM

That image at the top of page 3 is creeping me out!

a real scary album that you could take a number of songs from is Anton Levey Sings. yes, thats right, the head of the church of satan singing his little heart out. its kind of liberace meets, well, the devil. good for laughs as well, the pace would fit in with most of your picks. there are also a few spooky goodies on the rhino loud fast and out of control rockabilly-rocknroll compilation. one in particular, is actually not that loud or fast, but has ghost hollerin in the background.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-13 23:04 ]

On 2003-10-13 23:02, tikitanked wrote:
a real scary album that you could take a number of songs from is Anton Levey Sings.
[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-13 23:04 ]

I remember that LP from when I worked at an indie record shop. As I remember we filed it with William Shatner, etc...
He is one scary lookin' mofo.

-Z

T

I had heard about that LeVey record... sounds hilarious! What's even more hilarious are there are probably kids out there who take it seriously and listen to it in dark candle-lit rooms carving pentagrams in their parent's new Pergo floors.

On 2003-10-14 07:02, tikifish wrote:

...listen to it in dark candle-lit rooms carving pentagrams in their parent's new Pergo floors.

Laughing so hard I'm in tears. Perhaps it's because it's so damn true.
"Mom, can you take me to the mall? I need to be Alternative just like everyone else!"

-Z

Hey all,

Does anyone know if Tom Lehrers' "Masochism Tango" was ever released in a studio version? I can only find the live recording from "An Evening Wasted withTom Lehrer"

Humble thanks in advance,

-Z

Last night, I saw a band called the Necro Tonz. I bought their CD called WELCOME TO COCKTAIL HELL. It actually has a track caled GHOUL FROM IPANEMA.

It should fulfill your needs.

D
davew posted on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 6:01 AM

i just had to hip you folks to this new release on collectors choice.its spike jones taking a "stab" at halloween,the results are wildly original and very well done.two severed thumbs,way up!
-----dave from jersey

Spike went for straight comedy on his 1959 album for the then-fledgling Warner Brothers label, but the results were anything but straight; subtitled “A Spooktacular in Screaming Sound,” this affectionately lampooned the “Creature Feature” phenomenon that was then sweeping the nation, with longtime partners in musical crime Paul Frees, Loulie Jean Norman and George Rock the sickly sidemen. The album opener, 'I Only Have Eyes for You', invites us to “Shroud Nine” with our hosts Dracula (Frees) and Vampira (Norman), and then Frees (one of the all-time great voiceover artists) does double-duty as Alfred Hitchcock and Edward R. Murrow on 'Poisen to Poisen'. Thurl Ravenscroft—the voice of Tony the Tiger—is featured on 'Teenage Brain Surgeon', while Drac and Vampira return for ('All of a Sudden) My Heart Sings' and Frees does a masterful Boris Karloff impression on 'Everything Happens to Me (Lament by Frankentstein)'. “The Fiendager” (Ken Stevens to his friends) winds up Side One by inviting us to the “Cocoanut Grave” to see the 'Monster Movie Ball', setting up Side Two’s massacre of 'Tammy' and 'My Old Flame. This Is Your Death' parodies the old show 'This Is Your Life', while 'Two Heads Are Better Than One' features a two-headed beatnik—in stereo (hence the title). The entire cast troops by the mike for the glorious 'Funeral Death March', fittingly capping off the album. One of Spike’s last recordings, and definitely the product of a diseased mind…our kind of 'Collectors’ Choice Music' exclusive!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies