Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Yma Sumac | Amy Camus

Pages: 1 22 replies

An old eccentric guy who has a record store set up in a flea market told me that Yma Sumac's real name is Amy Camus (Yma Sumac backwords). And that she is really from Brooklyn. Has anyone ever heard of this? She will always be from the Peruvian Andes to me. Either way the only thing that matters is that I scored 2 Amy Camus, 5 Martin Denny, 7Arthur Lyman and Les Baxters: The sounds of Adventure. All for $20.00! Yee-Haw

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder
http://www.flounderart.com

[edited by hanford to get rid of the all caps post]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-09-18 16:41 ]

D

Wow!!! Great score on the LPs. Were they in good condition?? I just got a copy of Yma Sumac ''The Voice of the Extabay" a week or two ago, and it is totally awesome! Almost like experimental music. I have heard the same about the Sumac/Camus theory. In fact it is also belived that they used pig latin to make reference to Les Baxter in the 'Xtabay' title. Get it? You can read a really great bio on Yma at http://www.allmusic.com and just do a search under her name. They have a pretty comprehensive little bio on her. And hey...which titles did you actually score at this thing?? Would like to hear which ones you got. :drink:

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2003 2:11 PM

thats a lotta LP's you got for $20! I usually pay $8 ea here. U lucky brah!

I've heard that Amy Camus thing before, too.

They were all in good to great condition.
Yma Sumac:
Fuego del Ande
Xtabay
Martin Denny:
Forbidden Island
Exotica 1
Exotica 3
The very best of
Hypnotique
The Enchanted Sea
Arthur Lyman:
Taboo Volumn 2
The legend of Pele
At The Crescendo
Call of the Midnight Sun
Todays Greatest Hits
Bahia
Greatest Hits
Plus the Les Baxter & The Surfmen: Exotic Island.
I just bought Yma Sumac Mambo at a garage sale, but when I got home and looked at it again the album itself was Legend of the Sun Virgin.

D

Wow flounder, great score! Hypnotique is a good one to get. I don't have that one yet. I got 'The Best of...Denny' a couple of weeks ago. Great condition but I paid $10 for it. However I scored Arthur Lyman's Greastest Hits SEALED! for $2 and Arthur Lyman 'Bwana A' and Les Baxter 'The Sacred Idol' als both for 2 bucks, all in great condition. I'm on the hunt for more Denny and Yma Sumac 'Sun Virgin'. Of course it so much more fun when you find these LPs in good shape for under fiive bucks. Keep you posted on the other ones I get.

V

It seems that Yma Sumac still says that Les Baxter had not work on his 1st LP but for everybody else he did the recording of the Xtabay.
I've heard also the Amy Camus, but i think this is just a rumor to talk about, just because her reputation was behind that mysterious girl.
I have a Yma Sumac's bootleg Live in the USSR that is excellent...on a really small russian label.
She's just terrific

Yes.

Flounder,
Did you score all of those lps from one vendor? For the price, it couldn't have been a used record dealer. If an individual seller, someone obviously had one way cool collection of lps. Way to go!
KG

It's pretty much a store he has set up at a flea market and he has his own separate building. He's starting to hold all tiki and surf related lps for me. Lucky me! He knows what they worth. The Yma's were marked $20 & under that it said books for $40-$60 for Fuego del Ande. The Arthur & Denny were marked between $4-$8. I'M not sure way he gave me the deal, it must be my good looks. Yea thats it.

Maybe he had to come up with some bread to pay his rent.... Those prices seem way cheap compared to Orlando. I pass on most exotica lps at record dealers over here because they all go for about $20 each. I still find a good score now and then at a thrift or antique store.
I don't know if you like vintage Afro-Cuban music, but I've been getting into that lately. It's not really tiki, but it still goes great with a rum cocktail. Man, I wish Castro would kick the bucket so we could go to Havana and check out all the old buildings, autos, etc., drink some of that Havana Club rum and smoke a few Monte Cristos....

E

Kailuageoff, "vintage Afro-cuban music" is my middle name! I still maintain, as I have in other threads, that although not Polynesian, Afro-Cuban and bossa nova can qualify as "Tiki" music cuz they were so huge during the heyday of Tiki, and were clearly a big influence on exotica musicians as well.

aloha,
em

If anybody gets an extra Baxter "Jungle Jazz" I need that one. I'll trade a scarce complete "Voice Of The Xtabay" set on 78 with a fine cover.

L

Yo - I don't mean to turn this into an afro-cuban festival but if you guys have 78 sets or 10" lps in that area to sell/trade lets talk.

E

Sorry limptiki - I haven't had any wax for a very long time...used to have thousands tho...back in the day. Didn't quite use them for furniture, but you get the idea. I'm an all-digital guy now.

:)
em

S
SES posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 11:11 PM

I just picked up a "signed" album by Yma. Anyone have a copy of her sig so I can verify it?

And in a strange twist to the Yma topic... Has anyone listened to that 60's "Son's of Yma" Peruvian garage band album?
Was thinking of getting a copy.

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:21 ]

On 2003-09-19 14:30, Kailuageoff wrote:
Man, I wish Castro would kick the bucket so we could go to Havana and check out all the old buildings, autos, etc., drink some of that Havana Club rum and smoke a few Monte Cristos....

In the event that he lives forever, you'll just have to become a Canadian.

V

I've heard the Sons of Yma album. It's a compilation of 60's garage bands from Peru.
Some titles are funny but lots have a really bad sound (as you can imagine 60's garage peruvian albums).
It's nothing compares to Yma... really much more Punk stuff

S

I really like Yma too, but I recently picked up one of her records at a garage sale that left me somewhat,, puzzled? The album is called "Miracles" circa 1972. All of the tracks but one are by Les Baxter, which had me very excited, that is,, until the needle dropped. The music is some weird jazz-rock fusion band, and Yma for the most part goes la la la over the top of it. I just put it on again, just to make sure I wasn't in a bad mood or too drunk to really appreciate the first listen,, and nope, this record, in my humble opinion is awful! I don't mean to offend any Yma Sumac fans. Like I said I really like her (earlier) stuff. Does anyone else have this record? Am I insane, or is it really that bad?

For info. on Baxter and Yma Sumac go here and read the interview with Les before he passed away.
http://www.tamboo.com/baxter/index.html#anchor1

As for Afro-Cuban music, Perez Prado's "Voodoo Suite" just showed up in my mailbox... Sounds like it's time for a Cuba Libre!

Aloha from the Sunshine State!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-22 11:35 ]

A

About Sons of Yma, I love that album. Here is a review, and the cover looks like this:

Not at all tiki or exotica or Yma Sumac related though.

-Randy

This is my score for this weekend from garage sales, thrift and flea. Another great weekend this just does't happen!

ARTHUR LYMAN:
Aphrodisia
The shadow of Your Smile
LES BAXTER:
Jewels of the Sea
Caribbean Moonlight
Ritual ot the Savage (not in the greatest condition, but will do till I can upgrade)

Ferrante&Teicher-Pianos in Paradise
Rene Paulo Trio-Black Coral (cool cover)
Guy Warren-African Drums (sweet cover)
Exciting VooDoo (is this afro-cuban)
Music of the Maori (another great cover)
Congo Percussion
Polynesian Percussion
Plus 6 more I'm not sure about, they may suck. Unfortunately my player quit working yesterday. Need to take her apart tonight. Someone out there let me know what are some good Afro-Cuban Albums.

TM

On 2003-09-27 14:00, FLOUNDERart wrote:
This is my score for this weekend from garage sales, thrift and flea. Another great weekend this just does't happen!

ARTHUR LYMAN:
Aphrodisia
The shadow of Your Smile
LES BAXTER:
Jewels of the Sea
Caribbean Moonlight
Ritual ot the Savage (not in the greatest condition, but will do till I can upgrade)

Ferrante&Teicher-Pianos in Paradise
Rene Paulo Trio-Black Coral (cool cover)
Guy Warren-African Drums (sweet cover)
Exciting VooDoo (is this afro-cuban)
Music of the Maori (another great cover)
Congo Percussion
Polynesian Percussion
Plus 6 more I'm not sure about, they may suck. Unfortunately my player quit working yesterday. Need to take her apart tonight. Someone out there let me know what are some good Afro-Cuban Albums.

hwwwwaaaaaaa!!!!

Pages: 1 22 replies