Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

anyone know this Laguna Beach artist or their work?

Pages: 1 7 replies

E

Aloha all, went on eBay last night, looking to see if I could find this guy's fish hook necklaces cuz I have some Tiki money burning a hole in my pocket, and I saw one a few months ago that just blew me away. It was Koa and had a small handcarved Tiki bead. I decided on this one:

I am blown away by these, each one is completely unique, and the prices I think are fantastic. I have seen smaller, plainer mano makau of mammoth ivory on the Web that go for $200, this one was $70 made of Koa with mammoth ivory barb. This guy (Vince Cabanilla) is a real artist!

Anyone know Vince or own his work?

aloha,
em.

Em!
That's a cool design! I have seen lots of these types of fish hook designs pop up since the release of the movie Whale Rider, which I have yet to see, but I guess the hook is something significant in the movie since they seem to be all over the place.

E

Hi SCD,

I know they're a big deal to the Maori for sure, and they have their own unique very ornate style hooks. I've always known of the Hawaiian ones, some surfers wear 'em, and I think there's a serious tradition involved too (Gecko, you want to weigh in?). I always kinda got the impression it's like "I am a good provider for my family, a real ace fisherman". Braddah IZ Kamakawiwo'ole is always seen wearing them on his album liner notes.

I love 'em, and this guy makes ones that kick ass. I should ask him if he wants me to post his email address - I know of no other way to reach him, his work is only on eBay occasionally.

aloha,
em

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a famous Maori fishhook wearer.

BK, Em or anyone: what is the specific meaning of the the fish hook? It's always good to educate ones self as to who, why, what & where.

E

We need a Hawai'ian to tell us. I took my best shot already...

:)
em

E

On 2003-09-19 13:37, freddiefreelance wrote:
http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/bones/maui.html

Beautiful! That's the real Maori stuff all right...

em

Pages: 1 7 replies