Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Aloha Hut mug on ebay

Pages: 1 12 replies

K

Somebody tell me what is so special about this mug...or is this another case of someone really wants it bad and has money to burn. I just don't get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3242302876

:drink:

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Sep 18, 2003 6:21 PM

i don't know but I got my money on edgeoftexas.

K

i don't know but I got my money on edgeoftexas

I heard about that guy...heard he has an awesome collection. I live in TX too...do you think if I go knock on his door he'll let me have a peek?

I did read in Tiki Quest that Aloha Hut had custom mugs made just for them. Maybe thats why the high price? Still, thats a big hunk of pesos.

:drink:

F

Its rare.

But not THAT rare.. I mean duh.. there are mugs alot rarer than an Aloha Hut. I've seen about 10 of them over the years, and I snagged 3. That gives it a "B" rating to me- A being the ultra-rare

That dude should change his name to Danlovesbidding hahaha

seriously ive seen him pay way too much for stuff that just shows up later for 1/3 what he paid

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-09-18 21:40 ]

MAN, I sure wish he'd bid on MY stuff! :)

I've talked to EdgeofTexas (Marty) before. He seems like a cool guy and Texans are known for their hospitality...
I'd ask him for a peek. But take a hidden camera so we all can take a look!
:wink:

Whew! That IS a pricey mug. Too rich for my blood.

I'll stick to scoping out my local Swap Meet and garage sales! Ever heard of the "more-money-than-sense" crowd?

The perennial debate of whether it's better to shop garage sales (etc) or ebay rears its head again.

I've found that if someone were to rely solely on the gargage sale method to find their items (Doctor Z and Sabu excluded), especially in areas not likely to contain tiki mugs, the collection would fit on a TV tray.

Ebay will be typically more expensive to make a tiki mug purchase on, however, that amount would be lessened if you factor in actual sourcing costs such as gas etc, and intangible costs such as your time and being able to even find the piece in the first place.

That stated, this mug went for WAY more than it's worth in my book. My wife bought the same mug on ebay for a fraction of what the final bid was.

The hunt is waaaay more fun to me. Ebay is a good way to get a huge collection but lacks the thrill of actually finding a piece of the past. About eighty-five percent of my collection is from thrift stores and antique malls. I found the stuff cheaper and there wasn't any 'edgeoftexas' bastard running ahead of me at the stores to get the cool stuff.

E

Guck...that's $540.60 Canadian. Give me a break, PLEASE!!! It's a damn MUG for gawd's sake!

astounded,
em.

On 2003-09-19 19:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
The hunt is waaaay more fun to me. Ebay is a good way to get a huge collection but lacks the thrill of actually finding a piece of the past. About eighty-five percent of my collection is from thrift stores and antique malls. I found the stuff cheaper and there wasn't any 'edgeoftexas' bastard running ahead of me at the stores to get the cool stuff.

Spike, you're dissing my comment man! You're out of the band god damn it!

Oh, I didn't realize it was you.... I'm so sorry, I swear it won't happen again.... Just don't hit me again.

seriously, the hunt is more fun.
Actually though, I haven't found a whole lot down here unless I go to antique malls. I've got to start following DrZ and Sabu around. Most of what I found was from up north. I see your point Bong.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-09-22 14:26 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies