Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hurricane Recipes

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

OK, now that the terror of Isabel has passed, it is time to relax with her namesake - a Hurricane. Here's what I usually make:

2 oz Passion Fruit Juice or Syrup
2 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grenadine

I'd love to know what other folks craft for their Hurricane indulgences!

Lemon Juice, Passion fruit syrup, and Demerara rum.

K
Klas posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 8:49 AM

1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 ounce Monin passion fruit syrup
2 ounces Appleton Dark Jamaican rum

Stir vigorously and pour into medium sized snifter, 3/4 filled with crushed ice

H

I know this is an old thread but I was looking for recipes for Hurricane to help out a friend who wanted to serve them at a party and I couldn't find much on TC. maybe Hurricane is not tiki enough.
I started looking in my vintage cocktail books and came up with some strange recipes. Here are some.

Bartenders guide
Trader Vic

Hurricane
1 oz Bourbon
1 tbsp. curacao
1/4 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz sugar syrup
Champagne to fill

shake with cracked ice strain into chilled goblet fill with chilled Champagne.

Esquire Drink Book

Hurricane
1/3 oz dry Gin
1/3 oz whiskey
1/3 Creme de Mente
juice of 2 lemon

shake well with ice and strain into glass

H

Here are some new recipes from TC and some off the new books I have.

Beachbum Berry Grog Log

Hurricane

2oz. lemon juice
2 oz passion fruit syrup
4 oz dark rum

Hurricane

1 oz dark rum
1 1/2 oz light rum
1 oz passion fruit syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice
2 tsp. superfine sugar
splash of Grenadine

i've seen that groglog version published elsewhere as a supposed pre-Pat O's recipe.

that second version is similar to what i've utilized in many variations.

i think the best hurricane is made with 2.5 - 3 oz dark rum, 1.5 oz passion syrup, 1/2 oz lime, 2 teaspoons grenadine.

I only add sugar if i have no passionfruit syrup, in which case i use 2 oz passionfruit nectar or juice and add sugar to taste. (you'll have to make it really sweet if you're catering to folks who want something that tastes like Pat O'Briens.) if you can't get your hands on the many latin market brands of nectar/juice, i know that Welch's puts out a passionfruit cocktail juice that i've used before that pleased the crowd (i think it's blended with white grape juice).

Also- i've heard it said that the Pat O's version was amde with the mythic Fassionola, which perhaps explains a non-grenadine source for the red hue of the drink there...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-02-05 11:28 ]

Bumping this old thread in anticipation of Hurricane Harvey's arrival. Now a Hurricane is not my typical tipple but when there's occasion for a festive beverage I'm not one to quarrel. Curious if anyone has a go to recipe that's not been posted here already.

On 2017-08-25 15:22, mikehooker wrote:
Bumping this old thread in anticipation of Hurricane Harvey's arrival. Now a Hurricane is not my typical tipple but when there's occasion for a festive beverage I'm not one to quarrel. Curious if anyone has a go to recipe that's not been posted here already.

Here's my go-to Hurricane, from Helena of A Mountain of Crushed Ice. Packs a punch with 3 oz of Smith & Cross.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=11911

Be safe Mike.

Kevin

On 2017-08-25 18:42, heylownine wrote:

On 2017-08-25 15:22, mikehooker wrote:

Here's my go-to Hurricane, from Helena of A Mountain of Crushed Ice. Packs a punch with 3 oz of Smith & Cross.

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=11911

Be safe Mike.

Kevin

Damn, I'm adventurous but three oz of S&C seems more dangerous than the storm we got last night. I'll try it though!

My Hurricane riff

1 Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 Fassionola
1/4 Grenadine
1 Lime
1 Orange
1.5 Light
1.5 Dark

Lately I have been using Trader Vic's Dark Rum. It really gives this thing a good flavor. I've also used Myers, Coruba, Pussers, 50/50 S&C/EL12 (A nod to the Atomic Grog)

I quite like Hurricanes, and was craving one during the storm last weekend. I'm a huge passion fruit fan. Alas, I had no passion fruit available. Last night I started tinkering around with various recipes. I found the Pat O'Brein's recipe was too syrupy sweet. The Smuggler's Cove recipe too boozy, with not enough passion fruit. This is what I eventually came up with:

2 oz Meyers
1 oz Plantation Stiggins' Fancy Pineapple Rum (yeah, Mike--I found some!)
4 oz. SunBerry Farms Passion Fruit juice
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz. Demerara syrup

Shake well with ice and pour into Hurricane glass, or whatever. I like this mix because it gives a passion fruit-forward profile without being super-sweet. I tried it with and without grenadine, and wasn't really moved either way. SunBerry Farm's passion fruit juice is available erratically at HEB grocery stores around me. I like it because, while pretty much all commercially available passion fruit "juice" is actually a cocktail of various juices (normally white grape juice), SunBerry's the only one I've seen where the passion fruit is actually the primary ingredient. And there's no added sugar. It's not super-sweet, with pretty strong passion fruit flavors (I'm guessing it's primarily edulis var. flavicarpa, with some regular edulis to soften the rough edges). SunBerry also makes a very nice guava juice as well that I think would work well in a Hurricane variant. I'll save that experiment for another day.

For anyone curious, the guava variation didn't work out. Overwhelms the passion fruit, or rather, co-opts it (the tastes are similar, yet distinct) to make it taste like a straight guava-rum concoction. Not bad, but not what I was looking for.

Pages: 1 11 replies