Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New Model Army: anyone into this band ?

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

Don't know if there are any other Tikiphiles out there who follow these guys, but rumor has it that they are coming to the U.S. in October. I think it's gonna be an accoustic tour supporting Justins solo album so it might be booked as "Justin Sullivan and Friends" . Either way it promises to be a spectacular show. Anyone who has seen them will testify that they put on a truly unforgetable performance. Watch for them.

Do the american crowds at NMA gigs form the giant human pyramids?

S

Not to my knowledge. They haven't been to the States since something like '94 as far as I know. I saw them at the Whiskey in Los Angeles the first time they came over back in '86 or '87, and that was really rockin', but nothing compares to seeing them in in England- or Europe for that matter. I swear they're like the biggest cult band going- and for twenty years or so! They're like a British post-punk Grateful Dead. The most dedicated fans anywhere. It's been years since I've seen them but I'm really excited at the thought of getting to see an accoustic show at a tiny little club in Portland. What a rare treat!
The Scottish shows must be fantastic. Have you seen them?

When i was a junior crusty i saw them once in Glasgow in about 93, then travelled to see them in Paris three days later and half the crowd from the scottish gig were at the paris show.

I had a couple of mates that were full on members of the "following", they did the whole everything you own in a kit bag and follow NMA around for two years. For those that haven't heard but at normal NMA gigs the crowd form these five people high human pyramids and the highest person in the pyramid then mimes to all the songs. But its not miming like singing along but more acting out the lyrics, which can be very funny to watch.

Is New Model Army the band that had Gary Numan of "Cars" fame [possibly the best new wave song after Video killed the radio star] before he went out on his own?

Gary Numan was in "The Tubeway Army", NMA are dirty anarcho-folk-punk quite a bit diffrent.

Well, kind of. They have a song on their new CD about Easter Island. I saw them play in Hollywood last night and they were outstanding! The new stuff is as passionate and powerful as ever too.

topics merged.

S

Yeah!!
We'll see 'em in Portland monday night at The Doug Fir.

Get yer clogs on

Hey Hanford, why'd you merge my post with one that's 3 years old? It took my post out of context and made me look like an idiot...well, maybe I AM an idiot, but that's besides the point. Anyhoo, NMA was great the other night. The new CD is amazing, and Nelson is a helluva bass player.

S

I actually have a pair of the infamous Walkley clogs!
I think that's the name. It's been a while.
I'm looking formward to hearing the new album.

On 2005-09-16 12:28, tikitortured wrote:
Well, kind of. They have a song on their new CD about Easter Island.

What does it say?

S

I'm not sure that it's meant to be about Easter Island literally, but it's a story about a people who live on an island, who use up all their natural resources. As they begin to understand their fate, they "carve monuments to the angry gods", and watch the birds fly home for winter.
"We've got to get off of this island".

The Portland show was spectacular. The room at the Doug Fir Lounge is subterranean and on the small side. There were about 250 people which made it feel full, but not packed.
Most in attendance appeared to be dedicated fans and more than a few people made long journeys to be present for the first NMA show in 12 years for Portland. It's a different band for sure since then, but Justin still has the same intensity, conviction, and believability as ever. They played two quite long encores, digging deep into their playlist, and I think they would've played longer if the club allowed it. It almost made the 12 year wait worth it!

I gave Justin one of my small Moais after the show.

Wow, 250 people. There was probably less than 150 people at the Hollywood show...too bad, they are such an under-appreciated band. I had a chance to got to the Long Beach show the following night with my ol' pal Captain Sensible, but couldn't get off work in time. Not to change the subject, but has anyone heard Dead Man Walking? It features members of the Alarm, Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny, Stray cats, and Captain Sensible of the Damned. They're on tour right now so go support these old geezers. http://www.deadmenwalking.co.uk

PP

OMG NMA was one of my fav bands back in the late 80s! havnt heard that name in forever!!!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies