Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A helluva headhunter

Pages: 1 16 replies

I just listed this one...Thought I'd give the gang a heads up (If you call your bar the headhunter I'd say this one's for you, baby!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3243492802&category=29460&rd=1

Crazy lookin carving. Why are you getting rid of it?

Fo da money.

Interesting note: Lux Interior and Ivy Rorschack (The Cramps to you 'younguns) have a similar one on their tiki bar.

What a beaute! The Islands at the Hanalei in San Diego has a beautiful life sized one. These used to be a staple of many Tiki Bars...what do think it's worth? A tourist carving, but as you say, just like the nut cracker Wahines, from the 70s on the tourist carvings from everywhere took a real dump in carving quality...

Looks like he got his twin brothers head!!

Bigbro, I'd say, (toungue in cheek, of course, as with all collectibles) he should bring at least $150-200.00. Now worth is another question..you or I probably couldn't have one carved in that kind of tight detail for even 400.00 nowadays, and certainly it woudn't have that good, old patina. This man had wood carvings from all over the world, some dating back to 1000 AD, from A-Z, China to the Black Forest. Him and his wife were serious globetrotters back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Books by the thousands, some rare volumes as well.

S

What people don't tend to think is, what would you BK or anyone else charge for such a carving? What do people charge for a "simple" tiki? $100 a foot? $200? And then throw in that it's vintage... It ought to bring $300 easy.

There is a real point when the cheap carving on the islands went from awesome to fair.

Hell, Swanky, I have my doubts I could even carve it without three trys. Human proportion in wood carving is very hard to nail, as you can't go back and fix what's done like you can in clay. Tikis are a little more forgiving.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 1:17 AM

this carving is made of Philippine Mahogony. It's orgin is probubly Bagio city Philippines. I know for Sure it's from the P.I.(Phillppine Islands) I'm sure I'll be out bidded soon. I use to see these all the time when we would go visit my moms friends that were from the islands. We had one but we got rid of it in the early 80's.

I thought "Da Big Puka" must be you!

Got the puppy! Came home from shooting late at 1:00 am, thought I look it up and saw there was only one hour something left with low bids and put in what I thought was a more worthy but still a deal kind of price, and won it on that by two dollars!

Thank you B.K., it will have a seat of honor in my Tiki museum home. Gotta talk payment (credit card?) and shipping to LA (am in Hamburg still til Oct 9th).

Gecko, now it'll remind me of you (in a positive way, off course).

Glad you got it, Sven! You'll enjoy this piece...it has the superb detail and heroic appeal of a high quality bronze, but in mahogany. I am guessing it's around 50-60 years old.

G

ya, it will remind you of me...I'm da dam head hanging in your hand! How could you do dat to me Sven? I brought you to Martin Dennys house for Christ sakes!

Enjoy da carving braddah! I'll find one wen i go to da P.I next year....lucky dog! $127 is way cheap fo dat carving!!!

I really can't believe dat BK sold this....you'll regret it later my friend. These are very good carvings to have in any tiki enviorment!!! If you don't have wun, betta get wun!! while they're going for this kinda price! no joke! I didn't want to go to high on this because I know I can get wun cheap ova here because of the large Filipino community here. Jus gotta wait. BK got way low of a price for what I see these are worth!

anyways congrats Sven, that was a very nice carving! enjoy my head!

If anyone else is looking fo a head hunter, ask braddah Kailua Geoff, he know of one in a antique store in Florida. Got your email Geoff, tanks bro, but I'm gonna wait fo dat right price.

LIVE ALOHA

Gecko/BK/BigBro,
The headhunter I've seen here -- it's been in the same shop for about one year -- is priced at $200, but it is not as detailed as the one BK sold. One other difference is that if it was listed on ebay, it would probably say "gay interest" since he's missing his lava-lava. I've thought about buying it several times, but haven't. If someone really wants him, let me know and I'll find out if it is still there.

I checked on da headhunter and he's still there. I did notice, however, that his upraised arm appears to have been broken and glued back together. It looks good, but anyone who wants him should be aware of that. The good news is that his price is down to $129 "firm". If someone wants him send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up. (Oh yeah, this isn't mine and rest assured I'm not trying to make a buck.)

I

When I first saw this thread, I was reminded of a very similar headhunter carving I own. It only stands about 22 inches tall, and the weapon in one hand was missing, so I altered it to hold a spear of Farah Fawcett dollheads.

I had posted this picture a while back, but felt it was appropiate to share the link once more (My apologies for the poor image quality)

Vern

Pages: 1 16 replies