Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New section on Swank Pad - 1969 style

Pages: 1 14 replies

S

I have been home sick this week and had the energy to work on the web site. I finished up the 1957 Spiegel Catalog and started the 1969. That one is rich. All color and I just want to scan every damn page, and I might! I got a bit done and who knows when I will do more, but it's there. So check out the new stuff at http://www.SwankPad.org

Oh No, I think I may have to drive Vintagegirl to the hospital-she's gonna have a seizure!

Very swank indeed - great browsing!

K

I almost busted a gut laughing. Fembots indeed!

:drink:

S
SES posted on Sat, Sep 20, 2003 10:18 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:19 ]

J
JTD posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 7:46 AM

Swanky,
Thanks for revivng Spiegel, "Chicago, Illinois 60609". I forget what game show they provided prizes/wardrobe for, but that phrase has been stuck in hy head for 30 years.

-JTD

S

This '69 catalog is rich material. Un-be-lievable. And it's all in glorious color. I want to scan every bit of it. Wait till I get the mens stuff and the mod home furnishings!

On 2003-09-21 07:46, JTD wrote:
Swanky,
Thanks for revivng Spiegel, "Chicago, Illinois 60609". I forget what game show they provided prizes/wardrobe for, but that phrase has been stuck in hy head for 30 years.

-JTD

"Let's Make a Deal."
Now, who in the audience has a _____ in their purse?

On 2003-09-20 22:18, SES wrote:
P.S... There is one Spiegel catalog that is famous for a guy exposing himself in the underwear ad. They didn't catch it in time before it got sent out to all the customers.

Actually, that incident involved Sears...

S
SES posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2003 11:03 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:20 ]

D

I can't believe I searched this out :P http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/sears.asp

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-09-22 08:20 ]

S
SES posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 9:25 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:22 ]

My guess would be he became a poet. He seems to be quite the Longfellow.

PS - Think what that Veronica HamelBot could have done on Hill Street Blues!

K

I got married in almost that exact pink dress on page one. Only it was 1975, not 1969. We're a bit behind the fashion scene in Missouri.

The most hilarious chronical of Missouri wedding fashions can be found in the Bridal Cave wedding albums in Camdenton, MO. Thousands of couples have been married in Bridal Cave since the '40's, and every couple has a photo in the albums, which you can look at after you tour the cave.

Now I'm not saying that your average couple who chooses to tie the knot in a cave is homely or has bad fashion sense, but the pictures speak for themselves. Groomwear for '70's underground nuptuals was almost entirely given over to the powder blue leisure suit.

The albums alone are worth the price of admission.

S
SES posted on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 3:27 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:22 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies