Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How to build a tiki bar

Pages: 1 10 replies

B

I would like to know how to obtain plans for building an outdoor tiki bar. I found a few websites where I can get bamboo, etc. but I could not find any plans on how to build one. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

S

Bonko, it is no different from building a non-tiki bar. The 'tiki-ness' comes in when you trim it. The rest of the bar can be built using standard carpentry techniques and materials that you find at your local home improvement store.

I'm assuming that you dont want to build the actual bar out of bamboo or anything crazy like that, if that is your plan, ignore my ramblings.

Can anyone tell me "how not" to build a tiki bar??

I think that there is a fantastic publication titled 'How not to build a Tiki Bar but instead hangout at your friends bars and drink for free'.

On 2003-09-25 07:59, RevBambooBen wrote:
Can anyone tell me "how not" to build a tiki bar??

Sober.

M

I have to second Sinner's comments. A tiki bar is only a regular bar with tiki dressing like thatch, woven matting, and of course bamboo. I am in the process of building my own tiki bar too. I did searches on the web and ebay for "tiki bar" to get different ideas for the shape and style. My apartment is small, so I wound up making a small 2-seater. So build a standard bar the way you like it, in the shape and size you like, then outfit it with stuff. I got my "tiki-ish" trimmings from Oceanic Arts in Whittier, CA.

Bonko, as a first time builder of a tiki bar all I can do is relate my own experince. First I decided how I wanted my bar to look - I opted for a small two person bar made of bamboo, plywood (framing) and birch top in a curved "boomerang" shape. To come up with the size of the supporting structure & fasteners I used a 60's era bar my brother-in-law bought at the swapmeet for a template (nothing wrong with stealing...that's how the Japanese car market got started). Once you've got the basic construction completed...the fun begins. You are free to decorate and finish your bar in any way your imagination takes you. In my case I decided to coat the top with several layers of epoxy resin with hawiian sand & shells mixed into each layer creating a kind of 3-D effect. Then after your bar's complete, you might find you have a lot of materials and neww tools left over...don't let your creative momentum subside. Get right to work on that tiki shelf, cabinet, stools, trashcan, etc.

You can find basic Tiki bar plans located in the book "Pad, The Guide to Ultra Living by Matt Maranian".

On 2003-09-25 08:05, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I think that there is a fantastic publication titled 'How not to build a Tiki Bar but instead hangout at your friends bars and drink for free'.

Hey Now Kon,

Where do I get a copy of this? I checked with the library, their only comment was "must be out of print"

Tiki on the Cheap! I have a lot of tiki stuff because the last house I rented had a full bar. After we moved, I had to think of a new place to show off my tiki collection, but I really didn't have the space indoors to set up anything. (Nor did I have a whoppin' budget.) So, I bought a brown wicker, stand-alone bar off of Craigslist for $100. I wired bamboo blinds from Cost Plus ($10 on sale) to the front of the bar. They finish the edges of the bar nicely because they're already edged with bamboo stalks. When I had to shorten the blinds, I simply cut across and retied them. I wired my masks from TikiZone (under $20 ea.) to the front as well. Then I cut and glued some kids-sized grass skirts ($4 ea. at Party City) for trim along the edge. The flower lights are also wired and battery-operated. In essense, if you can find an old bar for sale, you can easily wire/glue things on top of it. The top of this bar is covered with heavy, removable glass, so underneath it I placed some fabric I bought off of Ebay for $10. All of the pre-made bars are $200 or more, so I managed to stay well under that price and all in all, it's not too damn shabby! Still want to add more to it over time...

For the shelves, I bought a pine shelving unit from IKEA ($20) and stained it. Again, I sized and glued bamboo blinds to the sides of the unit to give it more of a tiki feel. Also from IKEA, for about $3 each, are the glass candle holders you see above the bar.

[ Edited by: coconut cups 2006-07-16 16:46 ]

ST

Shipwreck, Did you have any issues with the epoxy peeling off of the substrate on your bartop? Also, what type of epoxy resin did you use? When I get around to doing my bar the type will have vintage surfing photos and adverts epoxied under it.

Pages: 1 10 replies