Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: I can't believe this!!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies

K

Sound Investment if you made it to Disneyland!

Scotty

[ Edited by: Scotty on 2003-09-24 17:15 ]

T

WOW! That's incredible. It shows that most of the bid action was yesterday and today so I'm speculating that the mug commanded this price because it was a fairly low edition number??? Your guess is as good as mine...

M

You know, I was thinking that was high, but really: If you love shag and you love the disney mug, and you don't live in So. Cal, then that's a lot cheaper than mug, airfare, food, and hotel.

I understand a need to create desire by making it limited, but I sure don't like reading about people running for the shop when the gates opened and such. I mean, do we really have to be reduced to animals for this stuff? I guess D-Land ought to have been better organized....

Still...if there was a signed limited edition in one glaze, and an open ended, unsigned run in another glaze, wouldn't that make everyone happy?

H

Still...if there was a signed limited edition in one glaze, and an open ended, unsigned run in another glaze, wouldn't that make everyone happy?

It would be swell, but can you imagine the number of mugs that would need to be produced to do an unlimited run to sell at Disneyland??? Even if Holden was able to get his factory capacity up to handle it, it's possible that Disney wouldn't want to take a risk on a vendor that doesn't have a proven history of a consistent Disney-scale output level. But hey, if anyone dreams big, it's Holden, so maybe it'll happen someday.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-09-24 17:37 ]

Humuhumu wrote:
...can you imagine the number of mugs that would need to be produced to do an unlimited run to sell at Disneyland??? Even if Holden was able to get his factory capacity up to handle it, it's possible that Disney wouldn't want to take a risk on a vendor that doesn't have a proven history of a consistent Disney-scale output level. But hey, if anyone dreams big, it's Holden, so maybe it'll happen someday.

That would be a good account to have. I could handle that! Woohoo that would be some commission check baby!

I think this was more Disney than Shag (but I could be wrong). Any sort of park exclusive that Disney offers sells out in minutes to Anaheim locals, while Disney nuts across the US and the world salivate. They become instant collectables.

If you've got the passion for Disney and some $$$ but not the time to travel to the park, then eBay is for you.

I wish Star Wars stuff sold that way.

~Hanford

On 2003-09-24 17:24, martiki6 wrote:

I was just about to post the same thing! I would love it if they did that for these "Limited Editions."

Unfortunately, I believe one of the reasons for making these items so limited is to drive the secondary market value way up very quickly. Shag mugs selling for stupid amounts of money days after they are made available (and sell out within hours) is a boost to the market value of all Shag's art. It perpetuates the "collectible" value of his art and merchandise.

Just watch -- once Shag issues a LE 500 run mug that doesn't sell out within days, the next edition will be reduced, maybe 250. At least that is what happened with the prints.

I don't begrudge Shag or anyone else for this strategy, (in fact I think it is smart business), but I hope everyone complaining about what happened with the Disney merch understand that Shag & company play a huge role in creating the environment that encourages such behavior.

And if Disney gave Holden a big fat contract to make huge runs of mugs, I'd be overjoyed because that means Tiki Farm will continue to crank out fine mugs for all of us!

The Muggler said,

"Just watch -- once Shag issues a LE 500 run mug that doesn't sell out within days, the next edition will be reduced, maybe 250. At least hat is what happened with the prints."

Wow...really? I don't mean to be picky, but do you know what print that happened to? I thought that day would never come.

Thanks,

F

did someone say "beanie babies"?

I don't get it...

The Disneyland Tiki Room Mugs are selling for$300+ on e-bay, but there is more than one goblet with a "Buy it Now" price of less than $130.

Guess the Goblets are not as popular.

On 2003-09-24 20:44, The Monitors wrote:
Wow...really? I don't mean to be picky, but do you know what print that happened to?

Actually, it happened very early on. Two of his first prints, THE THREE MUSICIANS and THE BOARD MEETING were both issued in an edition of 500, and both of them took a while to sell out. In fact, other prints were issued in smaller numbers after those two and sold out before either of them finally sold out.

After that, his prints usually end up coming out in editions of 200 - 300.

Better to leave them wanting more...

K
S

I got one at d-land before they ran out and I love it. I can see why someone would bid high. It's a nice little souvenir/prize.

S

500? That's not limited compared to the 300 runs of other mugs. Maybe it's the Disney name?

Pages: 1 13 replies