Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Attention Shag Collectors- Don't try to stop me!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I confess I went to D-land last Monday after the dust settled to visit the scene. I was trying to picture the event. Sure I saw the pictures that were posted. But they probably didnt capture the sights and sounds. The yellow plastic tape was gone, only the chalk outlines of the trampled Shag collectors bodies remained. I cautiously walked into the Disneyana shop. Inside there was a large crowd of 5 (2 clerks and 3 others-actually they were D-land custodians, I guess on a break). Out of the corner of my eye there they were. How could it be? About a dozen Shag Aloha shirts remained hanging silently from the rack. I liked the color and design and the price was ok. I didnt even have to throw any elbows or arm wrestle any fellow TC'ers. So I got One.

Anyway, the shirt is hanging in my closet now. Its staring at me. Calling to me with it's Shag tag hanging seductively. The Shag signature and LE# 235/500 are like a beacon.
I dont want to shock any Shag Collectors but I'm thinking about wearing it. I mean its just a shirt, right. What do you do with a shirt?

That's right. I'm going to WEAR IT! Dont try to Stop me! Stand back! There its off the hanger...unbuttoning it...and putting it on. Ahhhh! The tag...what should I do with the tag? keep it attached ala Minnie Pearl and her hat? sell it on ebay? Hmmm. the shirt is alittle big. I better go wash it in hot water and then dry it. That should shrink it down abit. I can go mix a mai-tai and put on some Denny.
Dont try to stop me!

P.S. think I'll write a couple of notes to somebody with these Shag Note cards.
Aloha! :drink:

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing your Shag shirt, provided of course you take the ordinary measures to protect it--don't go near smoke, pets, drinks, food, direct sunlight, dust, and any other gasses, liquids or solids, and as long as you remain indoors, don't permit any skin-to-shirt contact, and don't sit or bend in a way that will break the crease. With these ordinary precautions in mind you should have a fun and safe Shag Shirt wearing experience. Enjoy!

I think Tiki Rider 5-0 is having a little fun with us (good creative writing I must add).

I have an original Tiki Room shirt, on the inside it has Walt's company's initials and the date of 1964. It's colors are a vibrant as the day it was made.

I wear it about 4 times a year and wash it in cold water on the delicate cycle. Is this sacrilegious?

OK 5-0, just remember that with every wearing you may be losing about $4 and risking a total loss, which could come via lit cigar, spilled merlot, or the vomit of a close friend or loved one. I bet when you were young you actually took your toys out of their packages and played with them.

What a great post! :wink: I have the same dilemma with clothes and just about everything that's collectible. My theory: buy 2. One to keep in the closet and stay all pristine and nice and look at and say ooohh and aahhh. The other to wear and enjoy. Sometimes it gets a bit pricey to enjoy this theory but it's well worth it. haa,haa Enjoy your shirt.

Am I lame that I don't even drink out of my Shag mugs? Well, I don't want to risk dropping and breaking it.

And me bowing down to them and offering them sacrifical pigs every once in a while? That's just for show.

On 2003-09-25 14:18, paranoid123 wrote:
Am I lame that I don't even drink out of my Shag mugs? Well, I don't want to risk dropping and breaking it.

Not lame, but perhaps a touch paranoid, but I take it you already knew that. :wink:

M

...just remember to wear your shirt responsibly, we are creating the vintage clothing of the future....

so... I was wrong to paint my livingroom walls while wearing mine?

-Z

it's just a shirt....
they are just mugs....

I still wear my super vintage shirt (the one that some shirt collector said was worth $400). I try to take care of it but c'mon, I'm not gonna put it in a frame....... yet.

On 2003-09-25 02:15, Tiki Rider Five-O wrote:

That's right. I'm going to WEAR IT! Dont try to Stop me! Stand back!

Good for you man. I got a ton of vintage hawaiian shirts and I wear each and evry one of them. I'm not buying shirts to frame them or to display them like mugs. I buy them cause I love the way they look and cause there isn't 3 other people wearing the same shirt wherever I go.

M

Jolly Good Show T50,
Wear that sucker till the birds are faded beyond recognition.
If you don't enjoy it now... later down the road, someone else will.

If I had a Tiki Room Mug I'd have a drink out of it for you, and risk chipping it.

I called Disneyland DelivEARS today, yes, Thursday after the event. Yes 5 days later and ordered a set of note cards, the Purse and a non-limited edition of the print (11" x 14"). I'm getting it all shipped to maui for under $90. They tell me the shirt is still available as well as the puzzle and other things.

I see the $12 note cards selling on e-bay for $40. and the purse for over $70.

If I were you I'd call before wasting my $$ on e-bay. They even told me they may get more mugs. I think she was confused. I told her I was pretty sure they sold out of the 500 limited edition.

I'm saving the purse for an X-mas gift, so don't anyone tell my wife.

Have thought about Mylar?

T

On 2003-09-25 09:57, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I think Tiki Rider 5-0 is having a little fun with us (good creative writing I must add).

I have an original Tiki Room shirt, on the inside it has Walt's company's initials and the date of 1964. It's colors are a vibrant as the day it was made.

I wear it about 4 times a year and wash it in cold water on the delicate cycle. Is this sacrilegious?

It's only sacrilegoius if you wear it to a Jimmy Buffet concert. :wink:

Help! I feel like a chump! I just bought a Shag Tiki Room shirt "XL" for $119. It was the first time I have ever used the "buy it now" button. I guess I thought that I was getting a decent deal, when I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3244951938&category=29460

with over a day to go I figured that they be bought up soon, never to be seen again. I don't know, it's too late now. I will wear the shirt until it gets gravy stains, and then I will put in my "Ocean Room". Heck the Tommy Bahama shirts are $100 bucks...

Cheers,

KT

ps. there is one more "buy it now" XL for $119

Pages: 1 15 replies