Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

ANOTHER ONE: Robert Palmer R.I.P.

Pages: 1 14 replies

You konw, I can't say I was much of a fan of his music, but the alarming rate at which musicians are dropping off (Wesley Willis, Warren Zevon, Johnny Cash) these days really makes me want to quit the business before my number comes up.

Hey Alice, do you want to go to Real Estate school with me or something? This music thing is too dangerous for me...

BTW, ol' Bob Plamer kicked it in Paris of a heart attack.
My sympathies to his friends, fans, and family.

Hmm, you speak the truth, Tikibars! But we can both at least TRY and fool the Fates: you can say you're just a writer, and I that I'm just a teacher. And since Clouseaux has seen fit to kick out all of us girls and return to straighter jazz, I could tell Death when he's come a-knockin' that I'm "bandless" and therefore ineligible for early pickings now!

The eerie "they always go in threes" theory strikes again.

1. Robert Palmer
  2. Famous writer George Plimoton
  3. Stanely Fafara "Whitey" from the Leave It To Beaver Show.

RIP

T

He sure knew how to make a music video. Of course, I'm referring to "Addicted to Love".

All I know is, that with Buddy Ebsen and John Ritter passing away this year... we should all be thinking very good thoughts for Don Rickles and Rip Taylor.

K

I was a fan of the pre "Addicted To Love" RP. "Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley," "Clues""Bad Case..." etc. I thought The Power Station was pure crap. Not sure what he's been up to lately but still sorry to see him go. How old was he...54? Too young.
:drink:

PS - I predict either Reagan or Ford will check out before years end.

I love Robert Palmer's music. Listened to his Addictions Volume 1 CD all day today. "Every Kinda People", (the people on this board) "Looking for Clues","Woke up Laughing" (me, I actually woke up laughing one time after dreaming I was swinging naked from a rope) ooooh and "Some Like it Hot" sizzzzzle baby. Robert Palmer was very cool in my eyes. I hope for the best for his family and friends.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-09-26 19:25 ]

A great halloween costume has always been for a guy to get a suit, and get 6 girls with dark hair to pull their hair back and get bright lipstick and all wear the same clothes... then have the girls follow him around.. and go as a Robert Palmer video.

It could be very appropriate (and tasteless) this year ... or tastefull, as a tribute.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-09-26 20:17 ]

No one's mentioned the loss of Gordon Jump aka The Maytag Man aka Mr. Carlson.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

And it's a shame how some musicians just don't die early enough...

On 2003-09-26 20:16, hanford_lemoore wrote:
A great halloween costume has always been for a guy to get a suit, and get 6 girls with dark hair to pull their hair back and get bright lipstick and all wear the same clothes... then have the girls follow him around
~Hanford

Screw Halloween!! That's been my life long fantasy.

T

A great halloween costume has always been for a guy to get a suit, and get 6 girls with dark hair to pull their hair back and get bright lipstick and all wear the same clothes... then have the girls follow him around.. and go as a Robert Palmer video.
"

When I was n grade 7 (or was it 8?) my teacher looked a bit like robert palmer. So when the school had a talent show he asked 6 of us girls to dress up in black skirts and our moms high heels and dance behind him at the show while he lip-synched 'addicted to love'. It caused QHITE the uproar (even in those pre Politically Correct days - I can only imagine he'd be beheaded for it now) espacially since in rehearsal he kept exhorting us to 'be sexier'!

Later, he said it was some sort of 'social experiment' but basically I think he was a perv. Not that us girls knew it at the time, we just thought it was fun!

K

...Eminem, Justin Timberlake, Britany Spears...why won't they get struck by lightning or something?

T

On 2003-09-26 23:38, purple jade wrote:
No one's mentioned the loss of Gordon Jump aka The Maytag Man aka Mr. Carlson.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Right?
Even in death the lonely Maytag Repairman dies alone, without notice. I was very bothered by the passing of Mr. Carlson...

Well'p that's over, now back to my life :)

PS: That WKRP turkey show was THE best, truly a classic.

E
ecm posted on Sun, Sep 28, 2003 6:42 PM

On 2003-09-27 06:56, Juno wrote:

...Eminem, Justin Timberlake, Britany Spears...why won't they get struck by lightning or something?

hey,,don't stop there....lets' go for the whole , billboard top 100 !

A great halloween costume has always been for a guy to get a suit,... and go as a Robert Palmer video.

It could be very appropriate (and tasteless) this year ... or tastefull, as a tribute.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-09-26 20:17 ]

No, truely tasteless (and in the Halloween spirit) would be to dress as a Freshly-Risen-from-the-Grave Zombie Palmer. Complete with 6 zombie-babes. (sorry in advance to anyone offended)

-Z

Pages: 1 14 replies