Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tiki Noir

Pages: 1 1 replies

I looked for the old "tiki in old movies" thread and couldn't find it anywhere and lost patience quickly, so here's a new thread that narrows the topic a bit. Several film noirs have tiki in 'em, one I mentioned was "711 Ocean Drive" (1950) starring Edmond O'Brien, with a scene in a Palm Springs tiki bar. My screening (at the Parkway) last night of Sam Fuller's "Underworld USA" (1961) featured a (surprise) big tiki statue sitting on Cliff Robertson's coffee table in a couple of scenes, one of 'em when he's surrounded by gangsters! It was totally random, just a big tiki sitting in the middle of the action for no reason other than incidental bachelor pad decor. The rest of his modest little pad has modern art on the walls, kinda beatnik style.

And of course, "Hawaiian Eye" was a tiki noir TV show, and last summer a terrific three issue comic book series called "Hawaiian Dick" was published, should be coming out soon in an omnibus graphic novel, look for it. It's a supernatural PI caper set in Hawaii during the 50s.

Otto publishes a regular feature in "Tiki News" called Tiki Noir, which is always my favorite part of every issue - personally, I really dig combining favorite genres/niches and coming up with a unique pop cultural cocktail.

T

Thanks Will for providing that list. I would like to have seen "Underworld U.S.A." again last night but I was enjoying Robin's tropical drinks at Club Mallard with weirduncletiki and tiki-bot.

A couple you missed:

"Where Danger Lives" with Robert Mitchum (1950) and "The Blue Gardenia" with Raymond Burr ("Two more Polynesian Pearl Divers please"). No tikis but plenty of bamboo, glass floats, puffer fish, etc.

Here's that old thread you were looking for:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51&forum=1

(This thread should probably be moved to the regular forum as Beyond Tiki is for non-tiki topics and this is definately a tiki related topic.)

Pages: 1 1 replies