Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Room Print from a few years back

Pages: 1 10 replies

I picked this up a few years ago at Disneyland: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattorkin/tiki_print.jpg This is a print of some artwork done by John Hench. It is the original design of the tiki room as a restaurant. It was felt that having such a small restaurant wouldn't be nearly profitable enough to show off the new animatronics, so it was changed into a show(as it is today).

Enjoy

BTW this print was only around $90. Has anyone seen this on ebay?

we bought one from the gallery when it was first available - it's hanging in our own tiki dining room.

I have always hoped that if they decided to shut down the Tiki Room (which we've heard rumors of for years), that Dinsey would instead turn it into a food court and keep the birds and show intact -- essentially turning it back into it's original concept.

It would probably need major work (a complete redo?) to increase capacity, but I think this would be great becuase the Tiki Room could stick around, we'd get more food service (something Disneyland is always lacking, and what the rumors say the Room would be replaced with) and at the same time a healthy dose of nostalgia by finally creating the original vision.

~Hanford

what if they got a liquor license and turned it into a tiki bar?
now that would be something!!!

Hey, now there's a cool TC event: turn the Tiki Room into a Tiki Bar by secretly serving liquor in the Tiki Room to TC members. There's got to be drink that can be made by adding booze to those Dole whips ...

On 2003-09-28 16:03, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Hey, now there's a cool TC event: turn the Tiki Room into a Tiki Bar by secretly serving liquor in the Tiki Room to TC members. There's got to be drink that can be made by adding booze to those Dole whips ...

I have an annual pass, so I'll start bringing some travel bottles to experiement. I'm thinking Parrot Bay or Malibu might be pretty good. To add to the mix, they now serve a Dole Float(Pineapple juice and dole whip).

On 2003-09-28 15:22, Futura Girl wrote:
what if they got a liquor license and turned it into a tiki bar?
now that would be something!!!

It would be EVEN cooler if we were the first group to be 86'ed from the first Disney Tiki Bar!
Now that would be something I could tell my grandkids about.

Coconut rum in a tanning lotion bottle was the hooch of choice when the Malcolm in the Middle family went to Splash World. Seems good to me.

On 2003-09-28 16:03, hanford_lemoore wrote:

actually there was a rumor - that i had spiked an orange juice with a mai tai rum mixture and passed it to the peeps sitting closest to me during our 40th anniversary visit to the tiki room :wink:

There were actually three prints released in '98. Here are the other two and another pic of the Tiki Room restaurant concept.

The bird watercolor prints were done by Collin Campbell. They were a limited edition of 150.

The restaurant concept was by John Hench.

I can post the blurb about each print if any one is interested.

They were both on hand the day they were released. The signing I believe was 10:00-1:00. I did not go to Disneyland that day. I called in after the signing and ordered all of the prints. I still got 59 of 150 of the concept and 35 of 150 on the two bird prints.

I bought the concept print sight unseen. It was not pictured on the postcard ad for the event. It was better than I imagined when I received it and is one of my most treasured Disney Tiki room items.

Aloha

Larger pic of Jose.

Pages: 1 10 replies