Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hanging Wicker Chair - Value?

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

I found a 60's style hanging wicker egg shaped chair at a flea market for 50 bucks. Husband said it won't fit in the car but I could get my mom to pick it up in her van. I am thinking for resale, not for our home. Does anyone know what these would go for? I only found one on Ebay, and that was in the UK.

I need to know whether it is worth the trouble! They wanted 50 bucks for it. A bit of the wicker is unravelling, but otherwise it is in good shape.

Earlier this year I saw one in San Francisco during the SF Tiki Crawl for $800. Laney said she purchased hers for $20. I recently saw a new one, that was crafted very well, at a local rattan shop for $200 (hanging chain not included).

Here is the thread that BongoFury started earlier this year on the chair you are referring to. The $200 version I am referring to is like the one in the second picture, with the girl sitting in it. Note the difference in size and thickness of the rattan between the new version the girl is sitting in and Laney's vintage one.

Remember, you've got to ship it if you're going to sell it on e-bay, unless it will be sold as a "pick-up only" item.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

T

Yes, it would be a 'pick up only' item!
hmmm. I think I will call my mom. Won't get 800 bucks for it in Toronto, but maybe 150 - 200 I am guessing.

T

Here's the pics I took of it at the flea market.
I love the totally disgusted look on my husbands face. He insisted it wouldn't fit in the car. Ha ha!

I found one on ebay for you, I had remembered seeing it awhile back.
item #2559420799, they started it at $39. It didn't sell, but it could have just been the location ?
I sold one in my shop about 4 years ago, I think it was around 75.00 ?
Good Luck with it !

NN2

I recently threw one away, it even had the big free standing arm that it hangs from all in pretty good condition. I didn't think anyone would want it.

B

Is it the ZX3 he swears it won't fit in? Pop the Hatch shelf, fold the seats, and I swear you can fit a washer and dryer in there!..l

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2003-10-02 11:16 ]

:lol: I'm sure Mr. Tikifish sends a big bouquet of stinkweed and nettles for giving out that info, Badmojo! :lol:

Wow, this looks like the next episode of "Merge". She loves vintage rattan. He's all about country oak. Into the shredder with her hanging chair and his breakfast table!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-02 14:44 ]

PK

I found these at the local crap shop for 30.00 a piece. I like 'em a lot.

T

Well, not QUITE an episode of MERGE. He said: Well if it was made of PLASTIC and it hung from the ceiling, he'd be all for it. We both love that mid century modern thing, but he loves the space age 70's aspect more than the 50's exotica aspect... we're at opposite ends of that mid-century window.

Sounds like your combined place must look like a very respectable Shag print. Maybe you could get him an egg chair to go with your hanging rattan pod. Personally I'm all in favor of throwing everything country oak into a shredder. It would probably make good mulch for banana trees and hibiscus plants.

T

Country Oak Was Made for Shreddin'!

Well my mom offered to pick up the chair for me if it's still there next week, however I don't get to keep it, I will have to resell it as it is not allowed in the saucer house...

But I can't just leave it behind! That's the problem with having Thriftitis.

B

Here are a couple more to look at.....

I hit the local Value Village this afternoon at lunch time and what should I spy? TWO hanging wicker chairs and one of those big ones with the round back on it. One hanging one, with a frame for like $26 Canadian(slightly weathered from being outside), and the other, with a chain is $19. What a steal! I wish I had the bar for one, or the space/time to buy it and send it off to some fellow TC member! Just thought I'd let people know, in case they were planning a trip out to Vancouver Island or something wacky like that! I can take photos with my digital camera if so required.

Aloha, eh?
-Tikiwahine

Pages: 1 14 replies