Pages: 1 7 replies

S

For those in the Chicago area, the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Assn. is having
their convention down the road in Joliet, IL October 2-4th. I really want
one of you to go. They had Jerry Byrd at one of their functions. But mostly
I want to know why this obviously Hawaiian group (their president is from
Hawaii, etc.) always meets at a Holiday Inn in Joliet, IL! If nothing else,
make a day trip of this and see what's going on and meet what looks like
some good folks. I'm sure the music will be great!

http://www.hsga.org

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: swanky on 2003-09-29 15:52 ]

Swanky,

I'm a member of the HSGA and Jerry Byrd is one of our high members. The organization does meet in Hawaii in the odd numbered years. This year it was in April in Honolulu. Members get a hotel rate of $37/night at a specific Waikiki hotel. It may not be 5 star, but it's still $37!

The odd thing about Hawaiian steel guitar is its huge popularity all over the world, especially in the USA. As such, the meeting place in Illinois makes perfect sense.

As a matter of fact, the steel guitar is probably more popular on a per capita basis, outside of Hawaii. The Kamehameha Schools had a course for its students in steel guitar, but it was dropped due to lack of interest.

Jerry Byrd was a Nashville studio steel player for years before moving to Hawaii in 1972. As he said "I went home".

I could go on and on about the steel guitar as it's my passion, but I'll leave you with this interesting fact: there are only 2 instruments native to the USA - the banjo and the Hawaiian steel guitar (which was invented by Joseph Kekuku in approx 1898).

H

Hey Bong -

Have you been to the Experience Music Project here in Seattle? One of the major (permanent?) exhibits is a history of the guitar, which has many very beautiful examples of guitars through the ages. Appropriately, a quite large chunk of the exhibit is Hawaiian steel guitars. I bet you'd love it. I've always thought the EMP admission price was a bit steep at $20, but I'd say that for you, it would be a definite not-to-be-missed exhibit. puamana's husband Rob (he posts here & DJs as Selector Lopaka) used to work at EMP, he may be able to tell you more about it.

http://www.emplive.com/

Thanks for the tip Humu. My bro-in-law lives in Seattle. Maybe I'll visit him now!

S

They have been in Joliet the last two years. Maybe there's a strong Hawaiian community there? Check the web site for pictures. I'd love to go. I'd love to get Jerry at Hukilau too...

C
c10 posted on Sat, Oct 22, 2005 10:58 AM

I attended the HSGA convention in Joliet, IL last week (at the Holiday Inn), lots of great Hawaiian music to be heard. Not being a member, I only attended at night (there were lectures in the main room, and jam sessions afterwards), and the luau on Saturday, which is open to the public. More info and pics at http://hsga.org and http://steelguitarforum.com
Should be at the same venue next year around this time (and every other year in Hawaii in the spring).

was born and raised in joliet, and theres not alot of hawaiians from there, this has taken place there several times that im aware of, didnt make it out for this one, but in the past had a good time......

K

I believe they have the annual HSGA meeting there because of its central location. To be sure, it doesn't seem like the first choice for hosting a Hawaiian steel guitar convention. Heather and I would have loved to go, and work in a trip to my hometown (Madison, WI), but Haole Kats were booked all weekend last week.

The Waikiki conventions are held in odd-numbered years, and as luck would have it, we weren't able to make 2005's. Arrrgggghhhh... Going to try to get 2007 on the schedule though, and just plan on it. Would love to get to the islands sooner, though.

Pages: 1 7 replies