Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Kentucky rum find!

Pages: 1 5 replies

Just got back from a massive business road trip -- 15 1/2 hour drive from Orlando, FL to Cincinnati, OH and back in 5 days. Stopped off in Richmond, Kentucky to fill 'er up and right across the street there's a huge store descriptively titled "Liquor World."

Needless to say, my search for demerara rum lead me to explore. I struck out completely on that front, but I did score a bottle of Trader Vic's Dark Rum and a bottle of Trader Vic's Spiced Rum. I've never seen either and haven't cracked 'em open yet. Are there any other rums bottled by Trader Vic's, and what is the quality of these spirits?

The Trader Vic's website makes no mention of the availability of rums.

-Mike

PS to Caber-Net -- thanks for the offer to send me some Lemon Hart, but I'd feel awfully guilty if it caused you any trouble. The tax man and the postmaster general are two guys you don't want to cross, what with all the federal laws and such.

They are new on the market, so new I guess that the website is not updated yet.
Holden had some in Palm Springs, good stuff.

I dig tv's spiced rum over capt morgan, but bacardi spiced is the best spiced imho so far...
the dark rum is a fantastic for these rich fruity sweet drinks we make because unlike meyer's, it's bitter... a good tool in your mixology shed... there's also a tv's "kahana bay" light rum, which isn't that great... the tv rums are among cheapest ones available in aladamnbama, which is good...

S

Maybe with the new popularity of tequila, there will also come a new popularity in rums. And then, just as there are now a lot more tequila selections here, there will be more rum selections. I'd love it if Trader Vic's took the lead in that.

In Mexico, I have been to stores that sold nothing but tequila. Well over 100 different types. After seeing how the agave is made into tequila on the Food Network, it makes me want to look (taste) a liitle deeper.

Rum is one big reason I'd like to go to Jamaica some time. Of course, how do you ship barrels home?

I mentioned before that I had seen a vintage bottle of Trader Vic's rum on Ebay. I don't know how rare that was.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-07-18 06:00 ]

T

The rum craze has already started a while ago here in the Bay Area. There is a bar on Haight Street that's been there for about 3 years called Hobson's Choice that specializes in rum. They make a rum punch daily and have a great selection of rums. Now if the clientele were tolerable...

Did anyone see the new show on the food network about booze? They went to Jamaica and visited the Appleton Rum distillery (part of Wray and Nephew Co.). Unfortunately, the host was a irritating American "dude" wearing a backwards baseball cap.

I tried the Trader Vic's gold rum in Hawaii and thought it was so-so. It was cheap and tasted like it.

I just learned that Myers's (grammatical error isn't mine - check the bottle!) Rum is only dark because they add lots of caramel coloring to it. Rum cannot get that color by aging in charred barrels (it can only turn gold color).

Trader Vic's rums just became available in CT. Listed are:
Trader Vic's Gold Rum
Trader Vic's Silver Rum
Trader Vic's Spiced Rum
Trader Vic's Authentic Dark Rum
Trader Vic's Gold Rum 151
Trader Vic's Kona Coffee 53
I just order them today and should have them monday. The gold ,silver and Kona are cheap for CT about $8.00 a liter off sale. Can't wait to try them.

Pages: 1 5 replies