Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis By Seamus - concrete Tikis galore! NEW Pics Pg 9

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

S

Howdy Folks,
Here's my two-bits worth. I've been making Tikis for about 6 years now. After a few carvings, I started sculpting with concrete and making molds so I could reproduce the models I liked. When casting the bigger ones I make them hollow so they are affordable to ship. Most of what you see here is available for sale. You can Email me directly, or get more information at my website...
http://www.tikisbyseamus.com
Cheers!

The Moais (21" tall)...

These were patterned after the mug from the Outrigger (16")...

I call this little 9" guy 'Kapu',

This is JuJu (21")

Occaisionally I make lamps...

and birdbaths too!

Here's a new one (2ft tall)...

This is a recent 3 foot tall Spitting Fountain...

I also do a variety of framed plaques and signs.

I made her too, but she's not for sale...

[ Edited by: seamus 2007-03-13 10:05 ]

D

Let me be the first to say what a true Tiki Arteest Seamus is, I have 2 of his plaques and am very happy with them. Thanks again Seamus!

T

And I'll be the second to say how much I love Seamus' tikis. I just got my second one last Friday and it's mighty zaz. Can't wait to finish out his new home on the "tiki mantle cove". I also have one of the plaques and it's almost as zaz-tacular.

Got any of those 21" moais for sale??? Those are sweet.

I'm curious about how many of each style you produce.

S
seamus posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 3:18 PM

Thanks Dawn and Tiki-bot, I truly appreciate the kind words, and especially the repeat business!
Yes I've got Moais for sale, Email me anytime and let me know what you want.
I'm guessing that my molds will do around a hundred or so, before they give out. Once the molds have given up, I plan on discontinuing that item and moving on with new designs. I will probably go with a numbered limited edition on my next model. I'm not really looking to get into the wholesale business, and people seem to like that approach, so I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work.

I just bought three "Tikis by Seamus" tikis, and I wanted to chime in and say they are beautiful and if you don't have any you are really missing out. They look even better in person than they do in the photos, and the photos look pretty damn good.

I bought a brown Kapu, a grey Ranui, and a green Monterey. I have a big picture window looking out over some tropical plants in front, and I wanted small outdoor tikis to sit in the foliage and face inside the house. The Kapu and Ranui are the perfect size for this, and now my cats look like they are worshipping tikis instead of lazing in the sun.

The larger Monterey is going to go poolside. I'm really impressed by these tikis, and plan to add more of Seamus' work to my collection soon.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Check out Seamus' work here:

Okay Seamus, how much did you pay Muggler for that promo?
Seriously, I also have 2 of his "stoners" and I like 'em alot, very cool stuff. Nice work Seamus.

S

Okay Seamus, how much did you pay Muggler for that promo?

Not as much as I paid you and thats the best you could come up with?

Seriously, thanks guys. The coastal storms have been kicking up lately and it's turned dark, wet and cold. Your kind words are appreciated. It keeps the concrete flowing!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 1:14 AM

DAM! I wish i knew how to do those bird baths!! those would sell good here on Hawaii.

S

More pics.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2003-11-06 10:54 ]

[ Edited by: seamus 2006-07-14 11:10 ]

TM

Seamus,
Nice work, dude! Those Moai heads are way cool! Are they concrete?

Tiki Mon
http://www.tikimon.net

S

Thanks Tiki Mon. Kudos to you as well- you got a nice site too.
Yeah, I work primarily with concrete. At almost 2ft. tall those Moais are a little heavy (30lbs or so), but once it's in the yard, it aint gonna rot! I make the big ones hollow to reduce the shipping cost.

I started out carving a little, but thought I'd try something different.
Keep up the good work!
Seamus

[ Edited by: seamus 2006-07-14 10:50 ]

TM

Do you make fountain tikis? If so, I'll refer potential buyers to you. I get occasional inquiries.

I've always wanted to get into molded tikis...partially because of the production and special effect capability... and partially to hedge my bets against old age. Some of these palmwood logs are extremely heavy until the cure out. Did you make your molds in fiberglass or what?

Tiki Mon

S
seamus posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 2:33 PM

Yeah, fountains, birdbaths, fireplaces, ponds, youname it. I've even got a funky volcano in my back yard! My favorites are the spitting Moais. All you need is a small pond or water feature and a small pump, and they hook right up. I've built small water pools to go with them too, but it's just one more item to ship.
After much experimentation, I settled on rubber molds. They seem to work fine for most applications, but do have a shorter lifespan w/ concrete.

Seamus,
I saw some of your stuff in Vegas at the Red Rooster. It was really nice, but wouldn't fit in my carry-on. I thought you might like to see a pic of an old concrete tiki fountain. This one is stillin use at the Best Western Tahitian Resort in Holiday, Florida near Tarpon Springs. (Sorry the picture is kind of small.) I love this fountain and it's very much in keeping with the stuff your doing.
KG

On 2003-11-06 14:42, Kailuageoff wrote:
This one is stillin use at the Best Western Tahitian Resort in Holiday, Florida near Tarpon Springs. (Sorry the picture is kind of small.)

I've got a bigger picture of this fountain over here:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3191&forum=1

S
seamus posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 3:29 PM

Wow, In Vegas, are you sure it was mine? That's kinda bizarre since I've never shipped anything to Nevada. I'm gonna have to get to the bottom of that.
That's a great fountain. I might just have to make one like that.
Thanks Mike for the link too. I enjoyed reading about Tarpon Springs. It gives it a personal spin. We're gonna have to get out to Fla. and check some of those places out. I swear one of these days we're gonna sell the house and buy an old motorhome and hit the road. There's just too many interesting places we wanna see and experience before we decide where we wanna live next. Is there a good flea market or swap meet in that area?

Seamus,
I assumed they were yours as they were cast concrete masks and tikis. Can't recall if they were exactly the same as in your posts, but you're the only person on the board who seems to do a lot of cast concrete stuff. The person who runs Red Rooster tiki shop posts on TC, so maybe they can clarify where the merchandise came from....
How possible would it be to make a mold of the tiki fountain at the hotel and cast a replica of it? I think it is about for feet tall.

Muggler,
Don't know how I missed your original post on Tahitian Resort. We love that place and have stayed there a couple of times, while messing around in Tarpon Springs for the weekend. I sure hope someone saves those tikis if it ever gets torn down.
Also, there are some good antique shops in the area and a thrift store next to the hotel. (I bought my Mr. Bali Hai mug in Tarpon Springs.) I always thought it would make a cool place for a tiki weekend party that includes a day trip to Weeki-Watchee. (Still haven't been to see the mermaids, but need to do so.)
KG

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2003-11-07 10:32 ]

S

It is possible to make molds and replicate just about anything these days. There are people who specialize in architectual restoration that are masters of the craft. If I were to make one, I would just do a close approximation of it, sort of like I did with the Outrigger mug. When I buld them by hand (without a mold) I can control the thickness of the "skin" , and keep them amazingly lightweight. When I use a mold, although still hollow, they are quite a bit thicker walled, and quite a bit heavier. For instance, a 3ft tall handbuilt spitting Moai fountain can be about the same weight as a 20" Moai cast from a mold. Both weigh in around 30lbs. Of course weight issues are only really important when it comes to shipping costs (or moving them!).Even still, a 4ft casting could easily weigh 75lbs or more, and thats w/ a hollow center. Once in place, who cares?

i know this an old thread but i recently ordered 2 of seamus's plaques and i was very suprised in the awsome craftsmanship. i got the kapu and moai face mounted on board and framed in bamboo. awsome job seamus! thanks again.

S

Aloha Everyone!!
I just wanted to let you all know that after an extended relocation fiasco I am finally settled again, back to making Tikis, and best of all back on Tiki Central!

My deepest apologies to anyone who tried placing an order with me this summer. Now that I am back to work, I have discovered that I lost my Email contacts when I switched my ISP. Any of you out there who are still interested, please Email me again and remind me.

It's nice to be back.
seamus

Welcome back Seamus! From curiosity - where did you land? Are you still in Oregon?

S

Howdy Tikitronic!
Yes, We're still in Oregon. It's kinda funny, but after all the road trips, daydreaming, and wearing out our welcome in the spare rooms, backyards, and RV's of most everyone we knew well enough to mooch off of, we found a great deal on this cute litle ranch home right back where we started. Waldport. I don't know if we like this place more than we thought, or that we couldn't find anything else that we liked better. A little of both I guess. You know the old saying that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, well, it proved true in our case. Being nomadic is great for awhile, but's really good to be settled again.

Good to hear from you Seamus. I'm looking at one of your creations right now. Now that you splained what you ben up to, welcome back.

T

Good to have you back Seamus!

Hey Seamus!

When are you going to start making some mugs? Just waiting.... :)

S

Thanks friends.

I tried mugs, but they were too heavy, and noone seemed to like drinking out of concrete!
Seriously, it's on my really long to do list.

P

Welcome back, Seamus ! I'll send you an email, as we're still on for a Monterey and a Walaka tiki.

[ Edited by: puamana on 2004-11-25 10:07 ]

S

I finally got around to finshing my version of that way cool fountain at the Royal Tahitian in Tarpon Springs FL. I've never seen it in person and have no idea of the dimensions, but mine is about 3 ft tall.

Here's another spitting fountain I just finished.

This Moai went to a TC member right before Christmas.

S
seamus posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 1:20 PM

Here's a few more items that aren't on my website.

Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year to all !

B

Welcome back Seamus. Your art has improved and is better thqn ever. it was good before but seems more finely detailed now. Welcome back.

Wow, I see you're keeping yourself busy. Nice work braddah.

T

Great new work, Seamus. You have a real gift for subtle character expression and proportion. I'd proudly display any of these pieces in my home. Heck, I already do!

S
seamus posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 6:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was feeling a bit challenged in the productivity area lately, and got side tracked with doing a bit of remodeling on the new house, and a couple of carpentry jobs. I've been putting out a big effort to get a variety of new items in stock, and I've just started to get on a roll. There should be more to come in the near future.
Cheers,
Seamus

Seamus,
That's a very nice interpretation of the Tahitian Resort fountain and very close to the original. I also like the other pieces you did. The tikis at the Tahitian Resort are fantastic, although kind of whimsical. For this reason, I think they further validate the points in BoT about Polynesian Pop being an imaginary version of the South Seas. Good to see them starting to earn recognition here.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-01-09 16:51 ]

S

Thanks KG, and thanks too for the info you provided. I appreciate the feedback and the kind words.
I hope to get out to Tarpon Springs someday to see those Tikis for myself. The classic styles and icons from the golden age of Tiki was and will always be my biggest inspiration in my own work. I've never really been interested in trying to do anything specifically authentic, or in trying to develop a new modern style of Tiki. I love the old stuff, and since I don't have any access to it where I live, I do my best to replicate it and create my own reality.

I don't have any background, training, or schooling in the Arts. I just wanted some bigger Tikis in my yard. Where I live there is very little Tiki to be found, so I went with my do-it-yerself instincts and began experimenting with materials in my shop until I had something that worked. I've been at it for 6 years or so now, and I'm still experimenting with various ways to go bigger and better with more detail. Concrete is a tricky medium to work with. Once the sculpting process begins, I don't stop until it's done. It's a one shot deal, and often I'm not really sure what it's gonna look like until it's done ! As a carpenter, I've worked with wood most of my life, but since I've made concrete my primary medium, I've become a loyal fan of this incredibly versatile and durable material. Don't forget that concrete Tikis have been around since the early days of the poly-pop invasion, and most of them these days are in far better shape than their wood grained cousins- especially outdoors. Anyone with a backyard Tiki scene going on should definitely consider adding some concrete Tikis to the mix. The look, style and feel of these stonelike idols is both unique, and complimentary to the carvings most people own. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch. It's just that I am so fond of this all too often overlooked material when it comes to creating Tiki art, I really want people to consider all that it has to offer. Especially when you consider all of the various stains tints and finishes available today. I still work with wood. My plaque frames are handmade, and I always have a few carving projects going on the side. Someday I might even unveil some of my meager carving attempts. But for now, as unpopular as it is, concrete remains my material of choice for creating Tikis.

Cheers! Seamus

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-01-27 19:58 ]

Seamus, I think your concrete tikis are great. Before I started carving AAC block and wood tikis, I picked up a couple of concrete tikis at this open air crafts place on Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu. You can't beat them for durability. Mine have grown a little mossy, but that just makes them look more ancient. I would definitely like to try my hand at this one day.

Not asking for any trade secrets or anything like that, but... I've seen lots of this type of stuff made down in Baja Mexico. Is it very difficult to make a reusable mold? Just a general question - I'm wondering if this is something I could do to make some tikis for my own backyard.

A-A

S

Hi Aaron,
Thanks, I still have yet to try that AAC block. Molds are pretty easy for the smaller ones. The big ones are another story entirely. I've seen some of the stuff that comes out of Mexico, and it's pretty amazing. I have no idea how they're doing some of it. I don't- or at least haven't yet made molds of my larger sculptures(3ft+). Those are all handbuilt. Most ceramic and art supply stores carry some kind of mold making material. after trying a few I stuck with plain old liquid latex. On the bigger ones you need to build an armiture or frame that closely resembles what the final product will look like and then sculpt the concrete over that. It's kind of like doing stucco. I don't know what others use for a frame, but I use a wire mesh construction cloth. It takes hours to cut and bend and attatch all the various pieces together. It also makes for a long day when doing the actual concrete application. You can't leave it unfinished for the night and start in the next day. It's a one shot deal. I've spent more than 12 hours on one finishing up the concrete and getting all the details done and smoothed out. It's become a sort of ritual for me, and like with all things, the more you do it the faster- and hopefully better, you get at it.

Hey Seamus, thanks for the explanation - and the email. It sounds pretty difficult, but doable. I was thinking of carving some AAC block the way I want it, then using it to make a mold. I'll check the links you sent & see if that makes sense.

Mahalo,

Aaron

S

Yeah, you're on the right track. For items that I know I am going to be casting duplicates of I often make the original carving or sculpture out of something other than concrete. That was one of the reasons I was so interested in AAC blocks. You should try coating one of your AAC carvings w/ some kind of concrete or stucco mix and see what you get. There are some really cool acid stains available that will transform your finish in ways beyond words.

S

I just finished this one last night. It's my biggest one yet- just 2" under 4 feet tall.
He's still drying so there's no stain or sealer on him yet. Hand sculpted concrete. Another spitting fountain or stand alone Tiki.

Next is my newest mask mold. This one can hang ala carte, or be mounted to plaques, front of Tiki bar, what ever..

I put a semi-transparent green stain/sealer on my Tahitian inspired fountain. He is going up for sale.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-01-27 18:36 ]

Those look so nice, Seamus. I especially like the masks.

Aaron

B

Seamus, you are really puttin out some Pro lookin works there. Keep it up and show us more pix

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2005 8:56 AM

Seamus love your stuff

I got into tiki when I was trying to find a cool looking mask for ceramic class. I really like working in clay and like the mug part of it. Its certainly hard to continue with clay when I am not taking a class in college or the teacher has their own plans for what you will make. I instanly thought concrete was the answer. Wood is good for most tikis because its their natural medium. But the Moais should be really done in stone. I'm still dream of the warm summer to start my concrete plans. I have many ideas that will carry me throught to building my project but any words of wisdom that you can send my way would be nice. Like an apprentice. If I could E-mail you a few questions.

S

Thanks Aaron and Ben. I'v been working hard at these, and feel like I've struck a vein that I need to keep following. I've been experimenting with some new techniques that will enable me to go bigger with more detail so I don't have to spend 12 straight hours slapping up the mortar!

teaKEY- feel free to Email me with questions. Maybe we can swap cement tips for ceramic tips?? I still wanna make a mug or two. I agree with your notion of Moais being done in stone. That was kind of what got me started in concrete too. My first sculptures and molds were Moais. I just kept going after that.

S

I'm finally getting these Cook masks mounted.
I'm bringing some in various colors and backgrounds to the SF Crawl w/me.

Those new guys are awesome! Seamus. Glad to see you are still crankin em out. I look forward to talking with you at the crawl!

Chongolio

seamus, I have always loved your tikis.

I have a double pond in the backyard that seriously needs a spitter of some kind, probably under 2' tall. Maybe we can talk before the NW Tiki crawl in June! Keep up the sweet tikis, every one I've seen I've loved.
Mahalo!

S

Thanks Chongolio and Tikiwahine, that means alot. I just hooked up a couple of the spitters in our new/empty backyard. The pond isn't built yet, but I have a little kidney shaped concrete mini pond I made a few yrs ago that works nicely. It's amazing what the sound of spashing water and few well placed red and green flood lights can do to an otherwise dull yard. I plan on being a vendor at the NW Crawl this year, so yeah, shoot me an Email and let me know what you're lookin for.
I'll see you Chong in about a week!

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-03-24 16:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies