Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Best 1-liners from "Scarface"

Pages: 1 15 replies

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 7:37 PM

I was watching "Scarface" this evening (not the original but the Al Paccino version) and it occurred to me that there are TONS of "1-liners" in this film that you keep repeating as some of the most memorable parts i.e. "Say hello to my little friend!" I thought it would be fun to list the best ones (just 1 per post). Besides the "Say hello..." line here's one of my favorites:

"Why don't you try sticking your head up your ass...see if it fits"

Have I missed something... When did "Scarface" become this great american cinema classic?
I'm sure it's quite entertaining but I just don't understand all of this 20th anniversary, digitally remastered, special edition DVD hype I've been seeing lately.
Just wondering.
Aloha,
:tiki:

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Oct 2, 2003 5:43 AM

Have I missed something... When did "Scarface" become this great american cinema classic?

Apparently it's a really important movie in hip hop culture.

:drink:

[ Edited by: Juno on 2003-10-02 05:44 ]

L

Let me assure you that I am not real involved in hip hop culture but still believe the film to be an American classic

"Look at the pelican"

I am seeing Scarface T shirts and posters everywhere these days!

"Fucking Little Cock-a-Roach!!

Hey! It was in the movie!!!

Being next door to Miami I get the idea that the dialogue in Scarface is the logical cultural evolution of Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners routine.

"Norton, you fucking little cock-a-roach."

"Say hello to my little friend, Alice."

"Why don't you try sticking your head up your ass, Trixie. See if it fits."

Using technology to have Jackie Gleason stand in for Al Pacino would have made a great bonus track on the DVD.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-03 13:02 ]

TB

"ok pussycat"

sounds better with the accent...

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2003-10-03 14:31 ]

TR

"you got little weiners and tiny nutz?"

...thats from dana carvey's parody of scarface in "master of Disguise"

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Oct 3, 2003 3:43 PM

"Another qualude she gonna love me again."

I'm not into hip hop either and had no idea it was such an icon in that culture till I watched the new doc on the anniversary "cigar box" edition which I just shelled out for (which includes the original 1932 version plus a Tony Montana money clip!)I found this very enlightening and interesting, from a "ghetto gangsta" POV - not my style, but hey, it's a big world and it's always fascinating to look at life through someone else's shades. The irony is, "Scarface" takes place during the height of disco and the fashions and music by Georgio Moroder (who wrote some hits for Diana Summer or whatever he name is) make that painfully apparent. Still, it is possibly the most quotable flick in my own social circles along with "Spinal Tap" and "Blue Velvet" (I hang with some sickies, obviously.) It's become possibly THE great all around "guy" flick, crossing all cultural boundaries. Why? Colorful macho attitude backed up by often comically over the top action. It's easily Pacino's best performance (and probably when he started "yelling" all his lines, which has become really annoying) and it influenced "Miami Vice" a guilty favorite of mine. Overall the 80s sucked outloud though I admit some nostalgia for the more outrageous aspects of it - when the decade began the 70s seemed SO over and I couldn't have been happier - as time goes by the 80s seem just as culturally embarrassing as the 70s, a time which I also often find myself remembering fondly, if not actually missing (which tells you just how hard the Zeroes blow). It'll always be circa 1962 in my head, but every era has its merits (today it's "The Sopranos," in the 90s it was Lounge revivalism, Tarantino, "Ren and Stimpy" and "Seinfeld," speaking purely subjectively)and "Scarface" is definitely one of the cinematic highpoints of that decade, along with, hmmm..."Re-Animator" and "Blue Velvet" and maybe "Blade Runner" and "Road Warrior" too, though I much prefer zombies and Lynch over cyberpunk. A great American film classic like "The Godfather"? Hardly. But "Scarface" is epic trash, and I dig its no holds barred, unapologetic wallowing in excess. Not enough of that on screen nowadays in this increasingly conservative and unoriginal society, another probable reason people celebrate it nowadays.

T

Immigration: "So where'd you get the beauty scar, tough guy? Eatin' p***y?"

Tony: "How ya getta scar like that from eatin' p***y, man?"

As far as the HipHop thang: I think that every rapper has to hold the DVD up on Mtv Cribs to show they have a copy. They are usually doing this in front of a picture of Mohawked Deniro from Taxi Driver. :)
All I want to know is....Where's Dolemite?

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-03 21:56 ]

SSFFFFFHHHHHHHMMMPHHHHHHHHH'f that's the only line I remember.

"Hey, everybody take a look at the bad guy. You ain't never gonna see a bad guy like me again"

Just watched it for this first time in, well, 20 years

"the only thing in this world that gives orders is balls...you got any?"

Pages: 1 15 replies